ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Scottish lad kicked out of class for saying "there are only 2 genders imo" (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357870)

Cherie 17-06-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10595368)
Did nobody spot the immense irony. "You can't voice your opinions here, we are inclusive" :joker:

:joker:

parmnion 17-06-2019 02:10 PM

I wonder what bryan did to be on the teachers mind.

GoldHeart 17-06-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShakeyJake10 (Post 10595258)
But there is only 2 genders? We are taught that at school in science lessons. Your either born a male or born a female its up to people if they change sex but still it's two genders?!

Exactly! There's always just been 2 genders :facepalm: . But now we must go against biology & science just because some people don't want to identify as male or female .

I honesty think this whole non binary thing has gone too far ,and this teacher is an Idiot desperate to please the "latest trend" . it's the bandwagon of extreme eggshell culture scared to offend !.

I can't even call it PC gone mad because it's nonsensical the whole thing :crazy:

Tom4784 17-06-2019 02:13 PM

Without proper context, the video has little worth.

I generally believe there are two genders, if someone who is born a male comes to the conclusion that they are a female then I'll simply consider them as such when they transition and vice versa. I'll always refer to people by their preferred pronouns though since that's basic decency.

When it comes to gender neutrality, I believe the idea of it being it's own gender goes against the point of being gender neutral. If you are gender neutral then you are simply choosing to ignore gender norms in society and all the more power to you for doing so.

Niamh. 17-06-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10595439)

I generally believe there are two genders, if someone who is born a male comes to the conclusion that they are a female then I'll simply consider them as such when they transition and vice versa. I'll always refer to people by their preferred pronouns though since that's basic decency.

When it comes to gender neutrality, I believe the idea of it being it's own gender goes against the point of being gender neutral. If you are gender neutral then you are simply choosing to ignore gender norms in society and all the more power to you for doing so.

Yes exactly, this is a one of my biggest problems with it, that we (especially as a woman) have spent such a long time, looking to be treated equally and to break down stereotypes only for them seemingly be back up and running and forced upon us again

Liam- 17-06-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10595439)

Nail, head.

Oliver_W 17-06-2019 02:45 PM

There is actually one gender - our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ.

Cherie 17-06-2019 04:04 PM

on a separate issue, I think filming without someones consent as in this case should be crime

Niamh. 17-06-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10595622)
on a separate issue, I think filming without someones consent as in this case should be crime

Yeah me too. Is this in a school or university btw? In my kids school, a phone would be taken off them if they tried to do that, phones have to be kept in their lockers

LeatherTrumpet 17-06-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10595622)

yes that aspect is entirely unacceptable

Cherie 17-06-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10595624)
Yeah me too. Is this in a school or university btw? In my kids school, a phone would be taken off them if they tried to do that, phones have to be kept in their lockers

I would say a secondary school, I don't think you would be kicked out of a lecture in Uni... I am surprised he had a phone, they are generally not allowed in the classroom, but then this is Scotland a law unto itself :hee:

Niamh. 17-06-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10595627)
I would say a secondary school, I don't think you would be kicked out of a lecture in Uni... I am surprised he had a phone, they are generally not allowed in the classroom, but then this is Scotland a law unto itself :hee:

You never know when it comes to this subject :skull:

LeatherTrumpet 17-06-2019 04:16 PM

Scottish HS and you can have as many phones as you want in class

:skull:

Jessica. 17-06-2019 04:17 PM

I think the teacher handled himself really well. Fair play to him. What a disrespectful young man that kid was.

Cherie 17-06-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10595639)
Scottish HS and you can have as many phones as you want in class

Toy Soldier 17-06-2019 05:31 PM

It's not illegal to record a conversation between individuals in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy. That would generally apply to a school, or even a workplace, although obviously workplaces can have separate clauses in the contract of employment regarding privacy and confidentiality (but it still wouldn't be illegal, just gross misconduct).

You can't record someone in a place where privacy is expected (like a toilet or changing area) and you can't record someone in their home. You might face civil consequences (get sued) if what you record and share with the public puts someone's reputation at risk.

Tl;Dr don't say anything controversial in a conversation with anyone unless you're happy with the risk of it being recorded and shared because no, it's not illegal to do so.

Cherie 17-06-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10595770)
It's not illegal to record a conversation between individuals in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy. That would generally apply to a school, or even a workplace, although obviously workplaces can have separate clauses in the contract of employment regarding privacy and confidentiality (but it still wouldn't be illegal, just gross misconduct).

You can't record someone in a place where privacy is expected (like a toilet or changing area) and you can't record someone in their home. You might face civil consequences (get sued) if what you record and share with the public puts someone's reputation at risk.

Tl;Dr don't say anything controversial in a conversation with anyone unless you're happy with the risk of it being recorded and shared because no, it's not illegal to do so.

it should be though, I mean I cant share or hold someones email without their consent but I can film them, upload it online and make their lives a misery, there is something wrong with that

Toy Soldier 17-06-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10595775)
it should be though, I mean I cant share or hold someones email without their consent but I can film them, upload it online and make their lives a misery, there is something wrong with that

You can personally do what you want with someone's email address as an individual, if it was given to you AS an individual. GDPR regs / freedom of information requests etc. only apply to business and official use (whether that's a sole trader, a big company or a government) not personal individuals. For example if we ask James to provide us copies of anything that Niamh and Vicky has said about us in Tibb towers he legally has to do that... But if Niamh and Vicky want to know what's been said about them by us privately off-site they're outta luck; we can just say no.

parmnion 17-06-2019 08:07 PM

In my day that teacher would have been thumped.

Cherie 17-06-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10595948)
You can personally do what you want with someone's email address as an individual, if it was given to you AS an individual. GDPR regs / freedom of information requests etc. only apply to business and official use (whether that's a sole trader, a big company or a government) not personal individuals. For example if we ask James to provide us copies of anything that Niamh and Vicky has said about us in Tibb towers he legally has to do that... But if Niamh and Vicky want to know what's been said about them by us privately off-site they're outta luck; we can just say no.

I meant at work....I cant share, and that teacher was at work so....

Josy 17-06-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10595948)

James would only need to release that sort information if requested by authorities or a legal representative, it's not public.

Just for example, ex bb housemates sometimes send emails asking for threads to be removed from the forum, we only have to legally do that if the request comes from thier lawyers unless it contains information that can identify them such as addresses etc.

Withano 17-06-2019 08:52 PM

The teacher was thick and couldn’t hold an argument. But the boy was wrong and arrogant and shouldn’t be in the class.

Livia 18-06-2019 10:48 AM

XX and XY

That is all.

Toy Soldier 18-06-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 10596706)
XX and XY

That is all.

Only if you don't know what the word means, and mistakenly think it means the same thing as "sex". Gender has nothing to do with chromosomes. That's not a "woke statement" or "being PC" or anything of the sort; it's a simple statement of the historical origin and usage of the word.

Quote:

The word gender has been used since the 14th century as a grammatical term, referring to classes of noun designated as masculine, feminine, or neuter in some languages. The sense denoting biological sex has also been used since the 14th century, but this did not become common until the mid 20th century. Although the words gender and sex are often used interchangeably, they have slightly different connotations; sex tends to refer to biological differences, while gender more often refers to cultural and social differences and sometimes encompasses a broader range of identities than the binary of male and female.
Gender is not a biological term. It never has been, and never will be, no matter how hard people wish it was.

Alf 18-06-2019 01:27 PM

Murray has the truth on his side.

Murray is a brave legend, to challenge the authoritarian Marxists.

I name him 'Braveheart'