ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Most overrated band of all time? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123904)

InOne 05-12-2009 03:19 PM

Most overrated band of all time?

Who do you think?

Stu 05-12-2009 03:24 PM

U2 [Joshua Tree is amazing, but for the most part they are completely overrated].
Arctic Monkey's [What revolution? Just sounds like plain ol' boring indie rock].
Coldplay [About as dynamic as watching a cat do your tax returns].

InOne 05-12-2009 03:25 PM

I might do a poll. I was also thinking of The Beatles and Nirvana

Stu 05-12-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 2734006)
I might do a poll. I was also thinking of The Beatles and Nirvana

Nirvana certainly but the Beatles? No Beatles, no Oasis. It's as simple as that. I know the Beatles have become 'cool' on the internet to diss as being nothing much, but let's face it, John & Paul were a genius songwriting team, most of the albums were masterpieces, they broke so many moulds it's amazing they still had shoulders, and the sonic experimentation and studio production techniques they used, for the time, were both innovative and amazing.

In fact, they inspired the dub reggae movement with regards to studio-as-instrument practices. Which in turn inspired a sickening amount of music, including a lot of post Punk. In fact, almost every band on the planet owes something either to the Beatles or Kraftwerk.

True fact.

InOne 05-12-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2734016)
Nirvana certainly but the Beatles? No Beatles, no Oasis. It's as simple as that. I know the Beatles have become 'cool' on the internet to diss as being nothing much, but let's face it, John & Paul were a genius songwriting team, most of the albums were masterpieces, they broke so many moulds it's amazing they still had shoulders, and the sonic experimentation and studio production techniques they used, for the time, were both innovative and amazing.

In fact, they inspired the dub reggae movement with regards to studio-as-instrument practices. Which in turn inspired a sickening amount of music, including a lot of post Punk. In fact, almost every band on the planet owes something either to the Beatles or Kraftwerk.

True fact.

I suppose yeah. Oh no I was not dissing them and that, just an idea of what might be intepreted as an overrated band. I do love The Beatles, been listening to Revolver again recently, just epic.
But I have no problem in saying Nirvana are overrated, I do like them though.

Shaun 05-12-2009 03:33 PM

I'm inclined to say Radiohead. Potentially controversial - but I've given a lot of their material a listen, and, whilst I love about 5 tracks, I find the majority incredibly boring and don't see where the hype is.

Vladimir 05-12-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2734004)
Coldplay [About as dynamic as watching a cat do your tax returns].

LOL. Your right.

Stu 05-12-2009 03:35 PM

Radiohead are definitely overrated. Let's face it, quiet a lot of the back catalog is just droning ambient music with Thom Yorke's vocals pasted over the top. They didn't reinvent the wheel so much as stick a pin in it and push it up a steep hill.

InOne 05-12-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 2734029)
I'm inclined to say Radiohead. Potentially controversial - but I've given a lot of their material a listen, and, whilst I love about 5 tracks, I find the majority incredibly boring and don't see where the hype is.

Not really a fan of Radiohead, they just seem a student band to me, like Muse. Plus the song 'Creep' drives me crazy.

Stu 05-12-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 2734036)
Not really a fan of Radiohead, they just seem a student band to me, like Muse. Plus the song 'Creep' drives me crazy.

Creep is the only one I like funnily enough. But yeah, big college band. Deep n' introspective students love to big them up.

Shaun 05-12-2009 03:38 PM

I like Pyramid Song, Karma Police and No Surprises. And Creep too. But that's all. Nude was okay.

I can't think of any more bands I'd say are overrated. There's many I dislike but can respect - Elvis in particular. Really don't get his style of music at all, but can appreciate how revolutionary it was.

InOne 05-12-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2734039)
Creep is the only one I like funnily enough. But yeah, big college band. Deep n' introspective students love to big them up.

Ohhh yeah, Smoking a spliff whilst talking about the meaning of life whilst listening to Karma Police. Also convincing themselves they are different, intelligent and deep. God I hate students lol

Stu 05-12-2009 03:42 PM

Oh yeah, Sex Pistols. Yes, they inspired a whole load of bands, but they were an [empty] statement more than anything else.

One great album. A glorified bassist who could not actually play bass. A lead singer who realized it was going to go nowhere so he formed Public Image. And *drumroll* people calling them one of the greatest bands of all time.

One of the greatest musical events of all time? You bet. Band? Give me a break.

Z 05-12-2009 03:43 PM

About half of the bands NME big up as the 'next big thing'. For me it's surely anything featuring Pete Doherty.

Stu 05-12-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 2734060)
About half of the bands NME big up as the 'next big thing'. For me it's surely anything featuring Pete Doherty.

Oh hell yeah. NME are the biggest culprits of bigging people up and creating and then destroying movements and genres that never actually existed.

InOne 05-12-2009 03:46 PM

Would agree with Sex Pistols being overrated, and Pete

Z 05-12-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2734066)
Oh hell yeah. NME are the biggest culprits of bigging people up and creating and then destroying movements and genres that never actually existed.

They're disgusting. I used to casually buy the magazine every so often, now I just don't bother, it's not even biased reviewing, it's just erratic and pointless.

Scarlett. 05-12-2009 03:51 PM

Bon Jovi - Because they are

InOne 05-12-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 2734091)
Bon Jovi - Because they are

American wimp Rock.

Stu 05-12-2009 03:54 PM

I don't know anybody who overrates Bon Jovi. Most people realize them for the acidic, wimpy, self pitying bag of cat **** that they are.

Which neatly brings me on to Nickleback.

Patrick 05-12-2009 03:55 PM

The Jonas Brothers

Theres good bands out there that arent even looked at twice because they might not be viewed as 'Hot' by girls.

I think the Jonas Brothers are only famous because of Disney where as there is bands who actually work to get famous.

JB Dont deserve fame, Im just glad the UK doesnt go Gaga over them as much as Americans do

Z 05-12-2009 03:55 PM

Oh God, Nickelback! My ears! Very overrated, I agree.

Deirdre 05-12-2009 03:56 PM

The Beatles for me. If that sort of music was released nowadays, they'd be laughed at.

InOne 05-12-2009 03:56 PM

Maybe it should just be most overrated artist lol although there would be some heated debate amongst the obsessives

Enid 05-12-2009 03:57 PM

Oh Stu, I usually agree with mostly everything you say, but the Pistols were a band. Punk is not about being talented or good at what you do, necessarily. It's about having fun and getting the message across. They certainly accomplished that. I do agree that some people glorify them too much, but they were a band. A ****ing good band.