ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Britain may drop GMT and keep BST all year round (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133964)

Tom 31-03-2010 12:14 PM

Britain may drop GMT and keep BST all year round

It was on News at Ten and its so even in the depths of winter it doesn't get dark until about 4-5pm depending on where you live. But that means it won't get light until about 9.40am in some places such as Edinburgh.

Good or bad move to ditch GMT or should they keep the system they had? They did it before in 1970 but reverted back to the old system.

Scarlett. 31-03-2010 12:14 PM

GOOD idea!

arista 31-03-2010 12:17 PM

'May'

Well if they do
Great.

Tom 31-03-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 3127684)
GOOD idea!

I think its a good idea but if they do it I think they ought to move the school day back an hour in the winter (so its 10am-4pm) so that kids can go to school whilst its relatively light.

LeatherTrumpet 31-03-2010 12:20 PM

what irritates me A LOT

is that in the last 24 hours i have heard and read idiot reporters talk about the current bad weather (up here) as

blah blah blah and its 4 days into British Summertime too...

bollocks

summer is June, July and August

spring is March April and May

the Summertime they refer to is to do with time only. In GMT we have only summer and winter time and it has NOTHING to do with seasons or the weather.

It is about as relevant as saying "snowfall in Scotland was a surprise as we are just 2 days into the DFS summer sale"

twits

Scarlett. 31-03-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 3127688)
I think its a good idea but if they do it I think they ought to move the school day back an hour in the winter (so its 10am-4pm) so that kids can go to school whilst its relatively light.

They should do it all year round, they're doing trials on school starting at 10am, according to scientists and the like, it should boost students attention span ect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 3127693)
what irritates me A LOT

is that in the last 24 hours i have heard and read idiot reporters talk about the current bad weather (up here) as

blah blah blah and its 4 days into British Summertime too...

bollocks

summer is June, July and August

spring is March April and May

the Summertime they refer to is to do with time only. In GMT we have only summer and winter time and it has NOTHING to do with seasons or the weather.

It is about as relevant as saying "snowfall in Scotland was a surprise as we are just 2 days into the DFS summer sale"

twits

God knows why they keep relating snow to the time

Shasown 31-03-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 3127682)
It was on News at Ten and its so even in the depths of winter it doesn't get dark until about 4-5pm depending on where you live. But that means it won't get light until about 9.40am in some places such as Edinburgh.

Good or bad move to ditch GMT or should they keep the system they had? They did it before in 1970 but reverted back to the old system.

Its the same every year some buffoons normally ROSPA in order to justify their existance make these calls.

It wont happen as long as it is a United Kingdom. Scotland and N Ireland would suffer in the winter , all for no real advantage in the summer.

The 68-71 trial evaluation period where BST was kept during the winters did show a drop in evening accidents but also an increase in accidents in the morning.

Smithy 31-03-2010 04:44 PM

So would we stay with the current time?

Or put the clocks back and leave it?

(sorry dont know about the time thing :tongue:)

MrGaryy 31-03-2010 04:49 PM

I disagree with this, I just don't see the need personally and the idea of starting a day of school/work at 10am doesn't appeal to me.

Scarlett. 31-03-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGaryy (Post 3128055)
I disagree with this, I just don't see the need personally and the idea of starting a day of school/work at 10am doesn't appeal to me.

I dont see the need in moving time around just because it stay dark in the mornings at winter...not sure if you guys noticed this, but afternoons on the way home from school are dark in the winter...so...its pretty much the same either way