ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Christian nurse loses battle to wear crucifix (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134383)

arista 06-04-2010 04:33 PM

Christian nurse loses battle to wear crucifix

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ap...attle-crucifix

No Cross at Work,

Jolly Good.

Sign Of The Times.

Sticks 06-04-2010 05:02 PM

Christians are not commanded to wear any jewellery in the Bible, so how could this woman claim her rights were being violated?

However if they turn round and say someone from another faith can wear an item of jewellery related to their faith, that would seem inconsistent.

Princess 06-04-2010 05:05 PM

You're not meant to wear any jewellry cos it could carry infection,so it's only common sense.

ILoveTRW 06-04-2010 05:11 PM

well I wouldn't want a Christian looking after me in hospital. It might cast a spell on me or something, they are very mischievous creatures.

arista 06-04-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sticks (Post 3142743)
Christians are not commanded to wear any jewellery in the Bible, so how could this woman claim her rights were being violated?

However if they turn round and say someone from another faith can wear an item of jewellery related to their faith, that would seem inconsistent.

True
this was Debated on Radio5 Live.

New Labour are a Mess.

Time For Change.

BB_Eye 06-04-2010 05:28 PM

Seems the Daily Mail is having a good old moan about it as usual. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Christian.html

Lewis. 06-04-2010 05:30 PM

I do agree with this. It isn't as if she is working in an office dealing with paper. Surely she must be aware of the dangers of wearing jewellery in a hospital. Fair enough if her colleagues are also wearing jewellery, but then that is a whole other issue. I think some people just need to think about the difference between being discriminated against and being asked to abide by health and safety rules, which in a hospital are especially important.

WOMBAI 06-04-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sticks (Post 3142743)

Definitely should apply across the board - no making exceptions for anyone!

Shasown 06-04-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOMBAI (Post 3142934)
Definitely should apply across the board - no making exceptions for anyone!

Then I suppose you advocate ALL staff to remove rings, including engagement and wedding rings, wrist watches, ear rings, in fact ALL jewellery. (including body piercings)

Jessica. 06-04-2010 06:32 PM

I wear a cross every day and I would be very offended if someone told me to remove it!

Enid 06-04-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica.. (Post 3142959)
I wear a cross every day and I would be very offended if someone told me to remove it!

:rolleyes:

Shaun 06-04-2010 06:58 PM

diddums.

WOMBAI 06-04-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasown (Post 3142951)
Then I suppose you advocate ALL staff to remove rings, including engagement and wedding rings, wrist watches, ear rings, in fact ALL jewellery. (including body piercings)

I guess certain body piercings that remain well hidden and pose no infection risk are fine! Most staff do wear wedding rings etc - but, really, in theory, they shouldn't because bacteria do collect under rings posing an infection issue - as it is well established within the health service that clean, infection free hands are the best way of preventing spread of infection!

People don't NEED to wear them at work! They can leave them in the car or in their bag - same applies to watches, earings etc.

WOMBAI 06-04-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica.. (Post 3142959)

Well don't apply to be a nurse or any other profession where you are not allowed to wear them then! Safety comes first!

Shasown 06-04-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOMBAI (Post 3142993)
I guess certain body piercings that remain well hidden and pose no infection risk are fine! Most staff do wear wedding rings etc - but, really, in theory, they shouldn't because bacteria do collect under rings posing an infection issue - as it is well established within the health service that clean, infection free hands are the best way of preventing spread of infection!

People don't NEED to wear them at work! They can leave them in the car or in their bag - same applies to watches, earings etc.

So then why arent all staff asked to remove all jewellry?

Whats the NHS policy on coverings(sleeves) on the arms?

WOMBAI 06-04-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasown (Post 3143002)
So then why arent all staff asked to remove all jewellry?

Whats the NHS policy on coverings(sleeves) on the arms?

I don't know - it isn't always monitored as well as it should be! All hands on staff wear short sleeves - male and female - except doctors who have to role up their sleeves when examining patients!

Personally - I have not come across any Muslim nurses - have no idea what the policy would be there if they are not allowed to show their arms. Any ideas?

Jessica. 06-04-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enid (Post 3142985)
:rolleyes:

What?