ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB11 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=551)
-   -   Can someone please explain to me, in simple English (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144982)

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:02 PM

Can someone please explain to me, in simple English

what they mean when they describe a housemate as 'Fake'?

This has to be the most irriating expression used on this forum. I don't get it.

:sleep:

pixee 03-07-2010 10:04 PM

That the person is playing a character or presenting a certain side of themselves and hiding another side of themselves. Basically not being themselves. Hard to judge and say though i am with you

toothpick 03-07-2010 10:06 PM

Josie pretending to be this big bubbly bristol lass sums it up well

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:06 PM

Every time someone says it on here i think of a shop dummy. :D

Stacey. 03-07-2010 10:07 PM

Corin is a good example of fake.

Basically what Pixee said.

Zippy 03-07-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey.x (Post 3441554)
Corin is a good example of fake.

Basically what Pixee said.

You don't know her so you're in no position to tell if she's being herself.

She wasn't hesitant in telling JJ to keep his beak out. And it was early on too when everyones afraid to say boo. She isn't afraid to tell her friends when theyre in the wrong. She gives great advice. And she's funny, played up or not, who cares?

She is a good all round HM.

Sabrewulf238 03-07-2010 10:14 PM

It's just another way of saying "I don't like them"

fingers 03-07-2010 10:17 PM

As you will eventually find out, the thumbsucker is the epitome of fakeness.

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:18 PM

Its just one of my pet hates, and I felt the need to share it! :D

Lee. 03-07-2010 10:19 PM

I don't think it is possible for somebody to act "fake" for a length of time.. I always think it is a fake side we see on launch night and perhaps the few days to follow, but I genuinely think that after that, true personalities must start showing.

starry 03-07-2010 10:20 PM

None are literally fake, but some open themselves up more (like Sunshine). The fence sitters like Corin don't reveal so much of themselves and so don't really make the show that interesting.

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyland (Post 3441614)
I don't think it is possible for somebody to act "fake" for a length of time.. I always think it is a fake side we see on launch night and perhaps the few days to follow, but I genuinely think that after that, true personalities must start showing.

I think that too, its too hard to keep it up! No one is that good. :hugesmile:

Stacey. 03-07-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy (Post 3441586)
You don't know her so you're in no position to tell if she's being herself.

She wasn't hesitant in telling JJ to keep his beak out. And it was early on too when everyones afraid to say boo. She isn't afraid to tell her friends when theyre in the wrong. She gives great advice. And she's funny, played up or not, who cares?

She is a good all round HM.

Her over-the-topness like all the time is annoying, makes her come across as fake to me.

As Shabby said she's always so happy, and I don't believe anyone would be like that all the time.

If you notice, she just goes round both groups and sits there and listens with no involvement.

And omfg. Josie's nickname is boo.

oddballmisfitsFTW 03-07-2010 10:26 PM

I think Josie is fake at times and playing a very good gameplan.

Its working though as she is favourite to win, so fair play to her.

She dont fool me though :tongue:

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry (Post 3441619)
None are literally fake, but some open themselves up more (like Sunshine). The fence sitters like Corin don't reveal so much of themselves and so don't really make the show that interesting.

There we must disagree once again. I have heard Corin stand up to JJ, stick up for dull david and tell mario he needs to calm down with Ben. I dont call that fence sitting, I think she is like me, she sees good in everyone unless someone effects a person close to her! I have to say though she is more of a morning person than I have ever been, I am like Attila the Hun :hugesmile:

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddballmisfitsFTW (Post 3441641)
I think Josie is fake at times and playing a very good gameplan.

Its working though as she is favourite to win, so fair play to her.

She dont fool me though :tongue:

But Fake how? Explain it to me, lets pretend I am thick! :hugesmile:

starry 03-07-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bansheewails (Post 3441645)
There we must disagree once again. I have heard Corin stand up to JJ, stick up for dull david and tell mario he needs to calm down with Ben. I dont call that fence sitting, I think she is like me, she sees good in everyone unless someone effects a person close to her! I have to say though she is more of a morning person than I have ever been, I am like Attila the Hun :hugesmile:

I don't think she stood up for Sunshine enough.

Zippy 03-07-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry (Post 3441619)
The fence sitters like Corin don't reveal so much of themselves and so don't really make the show that interesting.

She is not a fence sitter in the house. She always gets involved in the house politics and stands up for what she believes. Her voice is always out there giving opinions.

She also has talked about her personal life. Just doesn't get shown on HL show thats all. Not her fault.

Jords 03-07-2010 10:32 PM

Somebody pretending to be something they arnt basically.

Claymores 03-07-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bansheewails (Post 3441650)

Well it's supposed to mean that a FM believes a HM is acting in a manner outwith how they would behave in the real world outside the house - literally putting on an act

But in practice I agree with a comment above that "fake" is frequently used by FMs to say - 'I have an irrational hatred for so and so' or 'so and so upset my favourite or threatens my favourite's chances of staying/winning!!!!

starry 03-07-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy (Post 3441659)
She is not a fence sitter in the house. She always gets involved in the house politics and stands up for what she believes. Her voice is always out there giving opinions.

She also has talked about her personal life. Just doesn't get shown on HL show thats all. Not her fault.

I find it hard to listen to her conversation, Sunshine was much more listenable I thought.

She is a fence sitter, she never stood up in front of others defending Sunshine for example.

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry (Post 3441654)
I don't think she stood up for Sunshine enough.

Maybe not, but it was to her that Sunshine turned to for advice on many occasions. Corin is like my Mum, she doesn't interfer unless asked, but gives excellent advice when I do!

GiRTh 03-07-2010 10:36 PM

I saw a thread saying Dave was fake. I didn't even bother looking at the posts as it was so ridiculous.

I don't think it is about playing up as some as already said its impossible to play a role all the time for that length of time. If a HM doesn't rant and rave about everything and get upset all the time its doesn't mean they're fake it means they're tactful.

bansheewails 03-07-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiRTh (Post 3441679)
I saw a thread saying Dave was fake. I didn't even bother looking at the posts as it was so ridiculous.

I don't think it is about playing up as some as already said its impossible to play a role all the time for that length of time. If a HM doesn't rant and rave about everything and get upset all the time its doesn't mean they're fake it means they're tactful.

Good sensible post! :thumbs: I am just amusing myself now, while litening to LF!

oddballmisfitsFTW 03-07-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bansheewails (Post 3441650)

on highlights tonight for example saying "im not use to the attention of 2 men" and she acting all embarrassed. To me I find it hard to believe someone as flirty and up for a laugh as her is not use to attention from men, so I think is she doing it for this reaction from the female viewer "aaww, I love Josie" ?

one of the main clips that made me doubt her was the generation game memory test thing she did, going "oooooh, aaaaah" that didnt seem genuine reaction to me at all, it seemed forced

I thought the same of Brian couple years back , but difference being I actually thought Brian was funny so I wasnt bothered if he actin up a bit