ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ofsted inspectors have approved the Veil for Muslim Schools (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163612)

arista 04-10-2010 05:07 PM

Ofsted inspectors have approved the Veil for Muslim Schools

Odsted have this wrong
it will only get worse.

11 year olds do not need this backward step

"At least three Muslim faith schools
are forcing girls as young as 11
to wear face-covering veils with the blessing of Ofsted inspectors,
it emerged yesterday."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz11PWO1och

Sign Of The Times.

Angus 04-10-2010 05:17 PM

I have just commented about this on your other thread Arista - talk about a hundred steps backwards. This is 2010 not 1510. Why on earth are we pandering to this visible and abhorrent sexist sign of female subjugation? Is no-one going to step in and help these BRITISH female muslims to gain equality and freedom? I feel sick to my stomach that these girls are being brainwashed, coerced and intimidated in a society like ours which supposedly promotes equality of the sexes, unless of course you happen to be muslim.

arista 04-10-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus58 (Post 3827171)
I have just commented about this on your other thread Arista - talk about a hundred steps backwards. This is 2010 not 1510. Why on earth are we pandering to this visible and abhorrent sexist sign of female subjugation? Is no-one going to step in and help these BRITISH female muslims to gain equality and freedom? I feel sick to my stomach that these girls are being brainwashed, coerced and intimidated in a society like ours which supposedly promotes equality of the sexes, unless of course you happen to be muslim.

This Ofsted
I blame them.

MTVN 04-10-2010 05:23 PM

I dont trust the Daily Mail much though tbh.

arista 04-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827187)

Fair enough.
The D.Mail gets over angry - that what they are best at.

It is only 3 Schools
it was also on TV & Radio news today.

Mystic Mock 04-10-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus58 (Post 3827171)

im to young to do anything anyway.:hugesmile:

dural 04-10-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827187)

Why, because lefties on here don't like the Mail's politics and attempt to undermine such articles.

MTVN 04-10-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 3827192)
Fair enough.
The D.Mail gets over angry - that what they are best at.

It is only 3 Schools
it was also on TV & Radio news today.

Yes I agree, they do.

Where else has this been covered arista? I've only seen the Mail's article on it, and even if they're 100% correct with what they say, the blame lies with Ofsted, it isnt a reason to discriminate against burqa-wearers as a whole.

MTVN 04-10-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dural (Post 3827220)
Why, because lefties on here don't like the Mail's politics and attempt to undermine such articles.

I'm not a "leftie".

Angus 04-10-2010 05:40 PM

Well no doubt the Muslim Schools in question will be filing High Court writs as we speak because the articles aren't true:rolleyes: I won't be holding my breath though because we all know that the articles ARE correct. If Ofsted give in to one or two "test" schools, watch as the rest of them clamour for the same "rights". Another massive step backwards for women's rights. I can only assume the men who agree with these reactionary practices are male, chauvinist pigs.

dural 04-10-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827227)
Yes I agree, they do.

Where else has this been covered arista? I've only seen the Mail's article on it, and even if they're 100% correct with what they say, the blame lies with Ofsted, it isnt a reason to discriminate against burqa-wearers as a whole.

You should read that article about how Muslims in Canada feel about women wearing the burka on the other thread - from the horse's mouth and you certainly can't accuse them of having an agenda.

Come back to me after reading that - and tell me that firstly the burka is worn by choice, secondly it doesn't represent female oppression and thirdly the wearing of it in public it does not pose a security threat to every person living in this country.

arista 04-10-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827227)
Yes I agree, they do.

LBC and Radio 5 had it.
And ITV1 "AT" 5PM show debated it.

Tom 04-10-2010 05:59 PM

I'm going to create a new religion where religious clothing includes a balaclava and a hoodie. Lets see if I'm allowed to wear that in public places

InOne 04-10-2010 06:03 PM

Did anyone watch that doc about Muslim faith schools a bit a ago? That pretty much confirmed it anyway. They were all in veils, and there was a 9 year old girl telling her 18 year old sister she is going to Hell for not wearing it. It's just wrong.

Niall 04-10-2010 06:03 PM

Hmm thats wrong I guess if the children are being forced to wear the full-faced veil, but I still believe that they should have the right to wear the veil should they so choose. I do disagree with the full-faced veil though - the veil where the face is visible is a lot more friendly. At least it isn't as bad as Muslim countries though - they actually wear veils that cover the entire face including the eyes! O.o

dural 04-10-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 3827295)
Did anyone watch that doc about Muslim faith schools a bit a ago? That pretty much confirmed it anyway. They were all in veils, and there was a 9 year old girl telling her 18 year old sister she is going to Hell for not wearing it. It's just wrong.

Indoctrination at its worst! How can anyone really believe that a Muslim woman has free choice when they grow up in such an environment! People are so naive - and I think some British men are quite happy to see women play such a subservient role - and secretly, even if not big enough to admit, wish British women were more like it. No wonder it is mainly men that support it.

Angus 04-10-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 3827283)
I'm going to create a new religion where religious clothing includes a balaclava and a hoodie. Lets see if I'm allowed to wear that in public places

Go for it - No doubt some politically correct moron will back your right to mug old ladies and urinate in public if you tell them its a religious requirement.

Common sense is no longer alive and well in Britain.

InOne 04-10-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dural (Post 3827316)
Indoctrination at its worst! How can anyone really believe that a Muslim woman has free choice when they grow up in such an environment! People are so naive - and I think some British men are quite happy to see women play such a subservient role - and secretly, even if not big enough to admit, wish British women were more like it. No wonder it is mainly men that support it.

The 'freedom of choice' thing is all a cover. It deflects the whole point, and people will ramble on 'freedom of choice' for hours. But the real point is that it is doing damage to these young girls to have such views put in their mind at such an early age. All this PC nonsense doesn't help anyone, because basically it's sweeping it under the rug. In a way they're worse than the people who speak against it because they're basically saying "Their culture, their rules". They will alway bring up the fact they're "British Muslims" yet are less willing to help them than anyone.

MTVN 04-10-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 3827353)
The 'freedom of choice' thing is all a cover. It deflects the whole point, and people will ramble on 'freedom of choice' for hours. But the real point is that it is doing damage to these young girls to have such views put in their mind at such an early age. All this PC nonsense doesn't help anyone, because basically it's sweeping it under the rug. In a way they're worse than the people who speak against it because they're basically saying "Their culture, their rules". They will alway bring up the fact they're "British Muslims" yet are less willing to help them than anyone.

I just dont think it's my place to tell a Muslim woman that they are wrong for wearing a burqa if it's done out of her own free will.

InOne 04-10-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827392)
I just dont think it's my place to tell a Muslim woman that they are wrong for wearing a burqa if it's done out of her own free will.

We'll never know anyway. All pretty close knit communities and don't talk to other much if they don't need to. Bascially like what the Jews did.

MTVN 04-10-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 3827397)
We'll never know anyway. All pretty close knit communities and don't talk to other much if they don't need to. Bascially like what the Jews did.

Yeah, that is true.

dural 04-10-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 3827392)

Aren't you missing the point though - what is the likelihood that women growing up in such an environment are able to express free will. I think many men often ignore that because they don't care.

Shasown 04-10-2010 07:31 PM

So what you are saying is regardless of the parents wishes or whatever school of islam (a bit like christian denominations) the particular founders governors and board of a school decide, they have no rights to do that?

The school is a voluntary fee paying school, if you dont want your daughter educated like that dont send her. There are other state run Muslim schools and other provate Muslim schools.

Its not *******ing rocket science is it?

Angus 04-10-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasown (Post 3827522)
So what you are saying is regardless of the parents wishes or whatever school of islam (a bit like christian denominations) the particular founders governors and board of a school decide, they have no rights to do that?

The school is a voluntary fee paying school, if you dont want your daughter educated like that dont send her. There are other state run Muslim schools and other provate Muslim schools.

Its not *******ing rocket science is it?

Well apparently it clearly is to you! If it is a FEE PAYING school it is clearly only accessible to muslims who can afford to pay the fees - duh! The state run muslim schools ALSO do a great job of indoctrinating little girls for a life of servitude and submission to men, but they are constrained by the fact that they rely totally on government funding, so are unable (as yet) to practise full blown brainwashing. Perhaps you are also aware that, unlike christian faith schools who are forced to take a proportion of non christians, no such compulsion is placed on state muslim schools who refuse to take non muslims.

Shasown 04-10-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus58 (Post 3827670)
Well apparently it clearly is to you! If it is a FEE PAYING school it is clearly only accessible to muslims who can afford to pay the fees - duh! The state run muslim schools ALSO do a great job of indoctrinating little girls for a life of servitude and submission to men, but they are constrained by the fact that they rely totally on government funding, so are unable (as yet) to practise full blown brainwashing. Perhaps you are also aware that, unlike christian faith schools who are forced to take a proportion of non christians, no such compulsion is placed on state muslim schools who refuse to take non muslims.

You wouldnt like to put your money where mouth is on that little piece of gen there would you and prove that one?

If we allow Catholics, Jews etc to have thier own schools whether they be state assisted or private why shouldnt Muslims be able to have theirs too, or are you saying they should be treated separately because they are simply muslims and you dont agree with the way they treat women.

Personally I wouldnt send my children to a Muslim school. But that is purely because of my distaste for Islam. But if people do want to send their children there, then why not? It is there choice for their children. Or would you prefer to deny them the choice they wish and just have little schools that you approve of?

As for the garbage about brainwashing, dont you think the parents and family will be doing that anyway in most cases?