ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Creative Writing and Books (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Currently Reading (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171996)

Niamh. 25-02-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBrotherfan4ever (Post 4122570)
I actually looked this book a few weeks ago when i was in Waterstones, but decided not buy it cause, i've got loads of books in the house, still to read but will definatly go & buy it when run out of reading material.

it was really good, I'd recommend it:thumbs:

patsylimerick 25-02-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 4139378)
I've finished it now, was really good. It makes you think afterwards a whole lot

I'll make it my daytime book - usually have two on the go, one for daylight hours and one for bed. This one wouldn't do for bed - I wouldn't sleep a wink! But I'll definitely give it a go..............

Shaun 27-02-2011 07:23 PM

gave up with Wuthering Heights and bought Fahrenheit 451 yesterday

Niall 01-03-2011 04:34 PM

*Know's this'll be controversial* I'm reading Twilight :love:

BigBrotherfan4ever 04-03-2011 09:01 PM

Dawn by Virgina Andrews.

Shaun 15-03-2011 01:26 AM

finished F451 and am now on chapter 27/34 of Wuthering Heights :)

Princess 15-03-2011 01:28 AM

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler,I'm doing a romanticism for an English project so I figure this is a pretty good book to reading at the moment and it was on my to-read shelf anyways.

Shaun 15-03-2011 01:33 AM

oh, MrGaryy told me to watch that movie LOL - it was alright.

Princess 15-03-2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4160246)
oh, MrGaryy told me to watch that movie LOL - it was alright.

I saw the movie but can't really remember it so least the book ain't spoiled.

Stephanie 15-03-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastie (Post 4139364)
Jack, Patrick and Steph will love that story! lol

:joker::joker::joker:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 4139383)
yeah, might make them think abit and cop on:nono:

:nono::nono::nono:

Shaun 15-03-2011 04:55 PM

finished WH. It's quite a creepy book. But throughout I found myself hating pretty much every character apart from Catherine (Jr.) and Hareton, so I was pleased by the ending. Oh and Nelly Dean is a babe :love: I love her.

But yeah, I was expecting a great romance between Catherine (Snr.) and Heathcliff and whilst there's definitely something great and spiritual about it, the haunting element picked up by Kate Bush, the lengths he went to to seek revenge were absurd (I never really saw Edgar or Isabella as that bad) and he wasn't even a part of the family to begin with :bored: It's hardly surprising Hindley and Catherine reacted the way they did towards this new favourite of their father's.

And both of the Catherines were pathetic messes.

And omg I can't even start on Linton Heathcliff.

MTVN 15-03-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4160608)
finished WH. It's quite a creepy book. But throughout I found myself hating pretty much every character apart from Catherine (Jr.) and Hareton, so I was pleased by the ending. Oh and Nelly Dean is a babe :love: I love her.

But yeah, I was expecting a great romance between Catherine (Snr.) and Heathcliff and whilst there's definitely something great and spiritual about it, the haunting element picked up by Kate Bush, the lengths he went to to seek revenge were absurd (I never really saw Edgar or Isabella as that bad) and he wasn't even a part of the family to begin with :bored: It's hardly surprising Hindley and Catherine reacted the way they did towards this new favourite of their father's.

And both of the Catherines were pathetic messes.

And omg I can't even start on Linton Heathcliff.

I did that for coursework last year, I wasnt a fan really and like you I hated basically all the characters, apart from maybe Edgar who I did quite like

Angus 15-03-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 4131568)
Voices from the grave.

Is that the one by Doris Hare?

Shaun 18-03-2011 01:13 AM

just started reading An American Psycho - am only about 30 pages in so nothing's really happened yet other than a (far too lengthy) description of fashion :bored:

Kerry 18-03-2011 01:38 AM

I read a sh!t magazine from cover to cover earlier. I guess it was reading......

BigBrotherfan4ever 20-03-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 4139386)
it was really good, I'd recommend it:thumbs:

I just started reading "ROOM" today, dont know what to make of it yet, i've got a feeling i wont get into it for some reason, but will stick with it for a while longer.

Niamh. 20-03-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBrotherfan4ever (Post 4166109)
I just started reading "ROOM" today, dont know what to make of it yet, i've got a feeling i wont get into it for some reason, but will stick with it for a while longer.

I found the language hard to get into at the start as it's spoken through a 5 year old but it does get good (well I thought anyway)

GypsyGoth 28-03-2011 09:20 PM

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5078/mistborn.jpg

So far I love it, good opening.

joeysteele 28-03-2011 09:22 PM

Reading a book on my heroine from History, the wrongly treated and wrongly executed amazing Mary Queen of Scots.

MTVN 28-03-2011 09:23 PM

Still on Nineteen Eighty-Four, really enjoying it but not having as much time as I would like to read it, close to finishing now though

Kerry 28-03-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 4173357)
Reading a book on my heroine from History, the wrongly treated and wrongly executed amazing Mary Queen of Scots.

Much about Sheffield in there?

joeysteele 28-03-2011 09:32 PM

Can't say I've noticed anything thus far Kerry. Don't think Sheffield was high on her agenda.

Kerry 28-03-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 4173371)
Can't say I've noticed anything thus far Kerry. Don't think Sheffield was high on her agenda.

She was held captive here

Kerry 28-03-2011 09:42 PM

Sh!t, just realised you may not know. Dopey cow I am. But after you've read the book I may be able to offer you a few stories. Not much. More titbits really. But as you're interested..... I know I was :)

joeysteele 28-03-2011 09:46 PM

Yes, at Sheffield Castle and Sheffield Manor,I am only up to the point of her about to marry the Dauphin of France.

I am fascinated as to her life, and the tragic end it came to,have read many books before and been to lots of places associated with her in Scotland,got this book for my Birthday so am now well into it.

Happyland once asked me a question about her and I had to think on it,so wanted a more comprehensive book as to her life.

I'd have fought for her, no hesitation.

joeysteele 28-03-2011 09:48 PM

No,thanks for your input Kerry, I am glad you are interested in her too, she really was an engaging and fascinating character in History,badly advised but I think she was amazing.

Kerry 28-03-2011 09:51 PM

I actually don't know much about her history which is a shame. Just the Sheffield bits and bobs. The castle, well ruins now, fascinate me and all the stuff named for/after her. There was a pub, The Captive Queen but it's sadly no more. But, as rumours go, she was supposed to have been held in that area briefly too. Oh and Queens Tower. Thats rumoured to be haunted by her :D

Shaun 28-03-2011 09:59 PM

not reading anything at the moment but shall begin Kafka's Metamorphosis & Other Stories soon.

Kerry 28-03-2011 10:03 PM

I'm about to browse Amazon so think my current book which I'm only dipping in and out of will get ditched

Princess 28-03-2011 10:07 PM

Russell Brand's Booky Wook 2. I just finished Reunion by Therese Fowler which was really good.

InOne 29-03-2011 12:26 AM

The Naked Lunch - Read bits and bats but I seem to lose concentration with it easy. Plus some of it is quite disgusting

Callum 29-03-2011 01:15 AM

Harry Potter: Film Wizardry

It's all about the films and how they were made etc. really loving it, plus it comes with loads of cool Harry Potter stuff like a Hogwarts Letter, Qudditch World Cup Programme and a huge map of Diagon Alley.

Kerry 13-04-2011 07:42 PM

Gypsy Boy - Mikey Walsh

Quote:

Mikey was born into a Romany Gypsy family. They live in a closeted community, and little is known about their way of life. After centuries of persecution Gypsies are wary of outsiders and if you choose to leave you can never come back.This is something Mikey knows only too well.Growing up, he rarely went to school, and seldom mixed with non-Gypsies. The caravan and camp were his world.But although Mikey inherited a vibrant and loyal culture his family's legacy was bittersweet with a hidden history of grief and abuse.Eventually Mikey was forced to make an agonising decision -- to stay and keep secrets, or escape and find somewhere he could truly belong.

Smithy 13-04-2011 07:44 PM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I decided to refresh my memory before the final film :bigsmile:

Shaun 13-04-2011 07:49 PM

halfway through the Kafka book, just finished Metamorphosis. The whole collection is pretty bleak, but sums up modernity pretty well.

Doogle 13-04-2011 08:04 PM

Strangers on the 16:02 by Priya Basil

MTVN 13-04-2011 09:32 PM

Finished 1984 a while ago, reading another Orwell book now but a biographical one; Homage to Catalonia, it's about his experiences fighting in the Spanish Civil War

Princess 13-04-2011 10:00 PM

Just finished From Notting Hill, With Love Actually which was light and predictable but quite good. Just started Secrets She Left Behind by Diane Chamberlain, which is all death and problems so bit of a difference.

rk3388 14-04-2011 02:08 AM

Just finished the maze runner, little brother and half brother. now reading shaken

patsylimerick 15-04-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 4173603)
The Naked Lunch - Read bits and bats but I seem to lose concentration with it easy. Plus some of it is quite disgusting

I absolutely love The Naked Lunch. It's obscene, isn't it? But astonishing at the same time.
Am just finishing Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor. Brilliant, just brilliant. Anyone who loved Star of the Sea should pick it up fast.