ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   The X Factor 2009 [S6] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Joe McEldery dropped (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174568)

cub 15-04-2011 09:26 AM

Joe McEldery dropped

Mentored by Cheryl Cole, Joe fast became a viewers' favourite before going on to win in December 2009.

Now the performing arts student has been told his record deal with the label, a division of Sony BMG, is not being renewed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1JaAN6fWk

Stephanie 15-04-2011 09:46 AM

about time.

Stacey. 15-04-2011 09:49 AM

lmao, already!?

Maia 15-04-2011 09:50 AM

Ha, not surprised at all.

Jords 15-04-2011 09:53 AM

Not surprised, but I think its wrong since hes won the show and they drop him immediately after a flopping debut, contract should be extended to 2 years, if the debut flops they get another shot to make it with a follow-up album.

Id be seriously pissed off after all that effort, but it was obv it would happen.

Mac Hiavellian 15-04-2011 11:50 AM

This does not surprise me. I always said he was too similar to Leon Jackson and look what happened to him

Iceman 15-04-2011 11:52 AM

Not surprised and it didnt help him that Olly had a very successful year.

joeysteele 15-04-2011 12:37 PM

Shows the winner doesn't always come off best in X Factor. It's sad for Joe, he has a really great voice but he needed to be groomed far better than he was.

It's maybe time to get away from releasing a single chosen by Simon etc,then doing a debut album made up of mainly the songs they sang on X Factor,
Then long pauses before releasing a follow up single too.plus the album comes a fair time after winning as well.

Too many constraints, I hope Joe does well still but really if they push to have winners the X Factor needs to do a lot more with the acts that win and not assume all will be well instantly.

Far better not to have a top hit right off but build up to real success rather than be constantly compared and have expectations to continue with the initial success gained form that winners single.

Cheryl has failed Joe bigtime and now he looks a failure when really he has likely only done what he was told to and is paying the price for others old hat ideas and their failures.

cub 15-04-2011 12:39 PM

Olly had more personality and a more interesting sound, the way in which Joe came out (denying it before coming out), bland singles, invisibilty (where was the promotion?) and Beiber basically becoming a phenomenon all helped to crush his career.

cub 15-04-2011 12:44 PM

Oh, and possibly biggest of all the RATM campaign. Made him look like a flop by not getting the Xmas no. 1 that year.

Zippy 15-04-2011 02:03 PM

he's not like Leon Jackson at all. He's upbeat, cheery and obviously loves being on stage and performing. Leon always looked like he was about to piss his pants.

which is why Ive always thought Joe would be more suited to west end musicals. I think he could do much better there than in the fickle world of the charts. Ive never thought he was hugely ambitious for fame and just wants to get up and sing.

and, yeah, him being dropped is no surprise. Although it doesn't make XF or Simon Cowell look very honourable or supportive of its winners. Very cold and ruthless considering they brought in huge money from voters right up to the very end. More than the others. They should be allowed at least 2 albums before being dumped.

and Joe is a really nice guy so I wish him luck.

Jordan. 15-04-2011 02:06 PM

Just proves Olly should have won.

Niamh. 15-04-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan. (Post 4199194)

yeah, this.

Beastie 15-04-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy (Post 4199192)
he's not like Leon Jackson at all. He's upbeat, cheery and obviously loves being on stage and performing. Leon always looked like he was about to piss his pants.

which is why Ive always thought Joe would be more suited to west end musicals. I think he could do much better there than in the fickle world of the charts. Ive never thought he was hugely ambitious for fame and just wants to get up and sing.

and, yeah, him being dropped is no surprise. Although it doesn't make XF or Simon Cowell look very honourable or supportive of its winners. Very cold and ruthless considering they brought in huge money from voters right up to the very end. More than the others. They should be allowed at least 2 albums before being dumped.

and Joe is a really nice guy so I wish him luck.

This. Poor Joe. Simon and Chezza are more concerned about arse licking each other than concentrating on the "winning" act.

I am sure Joe will pull through! :)

Lucie Jones is in the West End. I really hope she eventually makes an album though!

Zippy 15-04-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

No

Joe was the right winner. But a TV show and the real world of selling merchandise are 2 very different worlds. Many voters will not buy your music and many non voters may well buy your music.

Locke. 15-04-2011 02:38 PM

Been telling you all for 2 years that Olly would sell more than double that Joe did and have a longer career

More proof that I am always right

penguinposse 15-04-2011 02:49 PM

HAHA! good, sorry but Olly should have won.

Zippy 15-04-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinposse (Post 4199297)
HAHA! good, sorry but Olly should have won.

says who?

Joe got more votes. Its all very simple, really.

_Seth 15-04-2011 04:37 PM

I wonder what Joe's reaction is and what he'll do next... :(

Jack_ 15-04-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 4199544)
I wonder what Joe's reaction is and what he'll do next... :(

I've heard he wants to be a Science teacher

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/laser1.jpg

_Seth 15-04-2011 04:41 PM

=////////////////

Zippy 15-04-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 4199545)
I've heard he wants to be a Science teacher

does he?

you can't just go be a science teacher after youve won something as big as XFactor!

joeysteele 15-04-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but then Olly has done and is doing well because by not being limited as to what he himself could dictate to do with his career he has not got the restraints that Simon and co put on the person/s who win X Factor.
Olly may have gone down the same route had he won and then with Joe able to do his own thing the roles may have reversed.

The fault lies in a big part with the contractual demands and constraints placed on the winner by Simon and co.

Shaun 15-04-2011 05:19 PM

But who's going to cover last year's Norwegian pop songs now :(

Stu 15-04-2011 05:43 PM

Charisma vaccum. Screw him. He is boring as sin and never registered a blip on anything but gaydar.

Survival of the fittest. Some people just don't make it because their just not that good.