ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB13 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=635)
-   -   Evander In his defence [Convo with Luisa about gays] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243520)

Benjamin 05-01-2014 08:55 PM

In his defence [Convo with Luisa about gays]

He wasn't rude or hateful about it. It was an opinion he was sharing with Luisa because she asked.

Chuck 05-01-2014 09:00 PM

You would have that opinion if you didn't want Luisa to stay so bad? :tongue:

Me. I Am Salman 05-01-2014 09:01 PM

What happened I couldn't watch

Chuck 05-01-2014 09:01 PM

He said gays aren't normal

Doogle 05-01-2014 09:01 PM

It's his view. It's wrong but he should at least be entitled to say that.

Tregard 05-01-2014 09:01 PM

True, has anyone ever received a warning for something like that before? I could've sworn Ahmed in BB5 held a similar opinion, but never got a warning for it.

(What he believes is completely false though)

Kazanne 05-01-2014 09:02 PM

Why is it wrong to tell someone your opinion,if that's what you believe,he wasn't aggressive about it,just stated what HE thought

Benjamin 05-01-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 6589951)
You would have that opinion if you didn't want Luisa to stay so bad? :tongue:

I;d still have that opinion. He didn't go out of his way to be hateful about gays, he merely spoke about something that Luisa asked.

Josy 05-01-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogle (Post 6589959)
It's his view. It's wrong but he should at least be entitled to say that.

Agree with this.

Samm 05-01-2014 09:04 PM

I have still gone off him tbh but I don't hate hate him

Amy Jade 05-01-2014 09:04 PM

I disagree with his view but it's just that, his view which he is entitled to.

LaLaLand 05-01-2014 09:05 PM

I don't necessarily think that opinions warrant a warning. He's very firm in his beliefs and something like this should have been pre-empted by execs. Sure inform him that's it isn't appropriate but formal warnings? No.

It's a shame that he thinks that way I guess but it doesn't make him any less of a person in my eyes. I still like him.

Jim has said much, much worse about homosexuals in his career and has been laughed off. No biggie.

ThisIsNickkk 05-01-2014 09:06 PM

Channel 5/Endemol are just trying to cover their backs with the warning.

Homosexuality/Racism is something that is a very touchy subject for a lot of people, and whether people like it or not, we all have opinions.

Although I, personally, think that Evander's opinion is completely wrong, I'm mature enough to understand that some people have those opinions and I would like to hope that the people that also watch CBB/BB are also mature enough to let those comments go over their heads.

He was having a 'private' conversation with Luisa and he wasn't being offensive to anyone in the house. To me, that's just his opinion at the end of the day and shouldn't he be allowed it?

M X 05-01-2014 09:07 PM

Trust me, I understand you guys who are saying "Why should he be warned? All he was saying is what he believes in, he wasn't aggressive about it." However, would you say the same thing if a white housemate sat there and said "I don't think it's normal to be black. I think they should try and change their race and bleach their skin because their race is a birth defect, like some form of handicap." If the person was completely unaggressive about it, would this be okay and not warrant a warning or removal from the house?

There isn't any difference between homophobia and racism and religion should not be used as an excuse to be able to broadcast that opinion on television. It's like saying that there's nothing wrong with radical extreme muslims voicing their views about terrorism.

ThisIsNickkk 05-01-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelSpears (Post 6589997)
Trust me, I understand you guys who are saying "Why should he be warned? All he was saying is what he believes in, he wasn't aggressive about it." However, would you say the same thing if a white housemate sat there and said "I don't think it's normal to be black. I think they should try and change their race and bleach their skin because it's their race is a birth defect, like some form of handicap." If the person was completely unaggressive about it, would this be okay and not warrant a warning or removal from the house?

There isn't any difference between homophobia and racism and religion should not be used as an excuse to be able to broadcast that opinion on television. It's like saying that there's nothing wrong with radical extreme muslims voicing their views about terrorism.

This is why it's such a touchy subject and this is exactly why Channel 5 and Endemol are just trying to cover their backs with the warning.

They can't be seen to be punishing one person for one thing, then if something about race pops up, they may not punish it - just as an example. Therefore, anything that may be seen as a touchy subject and something that the ofcom lot would complain about, they pounce on it and warn just to be on the safe side.

Scream 05-01-2014 09:10 PM

tbh it's just a warning...his behaviour was borderline homophobic so they warned him to stop...

Braden 05-01-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Trust me, I understand you guys who are saying "Why should he be warned? All he was saying is what he believes in, he wasn't aggressive about it." However, would you say the same thing if a white housemate sat there and said "I don't think it's normal to be black. I think they should try and change their race and bleach their skin because their race is a birth defect, like some form of handicap." If the person was completely unaggressive about it, would this be okay and not warrant a warning or removal from the house?

I agree with this 100%

In my opinion it doesn't matter how calmly or aggressive he said it. It's still hate speech in my eyes, and of course he's entitled to have his own opinion but I don't understand how people can say they disagree with it but feel that it wasn't as bad just because he said in a soft tone.

LaLaLand 05-01-2014 09:10 PM

Very true ThisIsNickkk, it's precautionary measures so that if there was to be a public outrage then they've at least taken the steps necessary and correctly dealt with the situation at hand.

Benjamin 05-01-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

You cannot compare race and sexuality, both very different subjects that always seem to get bundled together when they are nothing alike.

Apple202 05-01-2014 09:11 PM

no he shouldn't be entitled to an opinion which is blatantly ignorant

Jordan. 05-01-2014 09:11 PM

Is 'that's just his opinion' really an excuse? in that case we can all do and say anything we want.

M X 05-01-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsNickkk (Post 6590003)
This is why it's such a touchy subject and this is exactly why Channel 5 and Endemol are just trying to cover their backs with the warning.

They can't be seen to be punishing one person for one thing, then if something about race pops up, they may not punish it - just as an example. Therefore, anything that may be seen as a touchy subject and something that the ofcom lot would complain about, they pounce on it and warn just to be on the safe side.

But to me the warning was so pointless. If that comment had been race related I believe he would have been removed. (Well, if he was white anyway.)

But homophobia is still accepted. That was no punishment. They didn't even tell Evander that it was a formal warning and that if he repeated the behaviour he could be removed. It was just a quick slap on the wrist.

Black Dagger 05-01-2014 09:12 PM

All the gays I follow are going mad over it, and I'm just there like I don't really care. I don't agree with it, but many people share his view.

(and I'm desperate for Luisa to stay)

Seanbon 05-01-2014 09:13 PM

Very similar to when Mark Lamaar asked Shabba Ranks about a clip on gay rappers in Jamaica,and because Shabba quoted the Bible to profess his beliefs,again not in an aggressive way,Lamaar went to town on him,and effectively finished his career in the UK. Too much pressure to be PC these days,different people will have different opinions?!? I don't agree with either Evander or Shabba,but freedom of speech extends to those who have differing opinions!?!

Benjamin 05-01-2014 09:13 PM

Look I am gay myself and I am mature enough to know that people have different opinions and have had different upbringings from different generations.