ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB15 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=660)
-   -   Interesting news from Viacom boss today (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266048)

mrmattybeck1 08-10-2014 03:06 PM

Interesting news from Viacom boss today

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb14/news/10...future-too-far not too sure on bbuks future time will tell

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 08-10-2014 03:09 PM

RIP in peace xxx

Marsh. 08-10-2014 03:11 PM

Put one CBB on a year in January or August and that's it.

mrmattybeck1 08-10-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 7313484)
Put one CBB on a year in January or August and that's it.

That could be a posablity next year or cut bbuk to 6 weeks

LukeB 08-10-2014 03:26 PM

oh well there is always other big brothers to watch :hehe:

arista 08-10-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmattybeck1 (Post 7313477)
http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb14/news/10...future-too-far not too sure on bbuks future time will tell

No
Big Brother Celeb Edition
brings in the highest 3million amount
beating ch4

bbspy
are full of muck

arista 08-10-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 7313479)
RIP in peace xxx

You trust one link?

Thats not Official

Samm 08-10-2014 05:04 PM

Taking it too far, could just mean being overloaded with 2 CBBs

LukeB 08-10-2014 05:11 PM

I think after this year, they should be only one cbb, i got bored of summer cbb this year

Jamesy 08-10-2014 05:15 PM

Did any of you actually read the article :laugh:

The quotes from the boss just reaffirm that Channel 5 is not reliant on Big Brother. But he admits the show has done well for the channel and that he will leave it up to Channel 5 programming. Philippe Dauman pretty much just says they do not 'need' Big Brother, and if it ever fails on them they will be able to put other 'great programming' in place. Basically an echo of what Ben Frow has been saying the past few years... and we all know Frow is satisfied with Big Brother and wants it to continue for now.

Literally nothing to worry about. We've just got to sit tight and see if Big Brother is renewed beyond 2015.

Rob! 08-10-2014 05:46 PM

They're basically just saying pretty much what Frow said; that they don't want to be over reliant on it. Nothing new really.

Patrick 08-10-2014 06:22 PM

I stopped reading because BBSpy has lost all credibility it had as a decent news reporting website - as I just seen from looking at that poll on the right.

What an atrocious thing to say. Laughable.

Cal. 08-10-2014 07:26 PM

Doesn't seem like he's dropping it, I swear they've said they don't want to be reliant on it before?

I'm sure Endemol would just get another channel one way or another

duclos 09-10-2014 03:58 AM

Someone help me: Is BBUK already renewed for 2015 or not?

thediaryroomchair 09-10-2014 08:20 AM

Rob, I like the Keeping Up Appearances signature :D

Seriously, it has got to be commercially viable and within their interest to renew Big Brother and I do not think Viacom will be as committed as its predecessor The Star/Express was under Richard Desmond

Desmond acquired the rights in 2011 when fans still pined for the series and it was given a much needed refresh. However, this years Big Brother drove a lot of people away with contrived conflict and melodrama and viewing figures subsequently fell.

We have almost had Big Brother overkill and I think it will be better served on ITVBe or ITV2. I think it is time that Big Brother moved to another channel and changed direction. 5 for me do little to promote it. Look at Channel 4, they seemed noncommittal towards the end but for Big Brother 11 they went for the funeral theme and adverts seem to play constantly.

Big Brother on a documentary I saw on-line, was mentioned by one of the gentleman who is at Endemol in Holland and he said that the series has the potential to last a long time if it evolves with the times and is looked after and is cared about as a format.

I just do not think 5 care for it any more. Viacom want to change 5.

dojo88 09-10-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 7313479)
RIP in peace xxx

Yes, to Channel 5 if they do (god forbid) make that stupid decision to ditch BB.

They need to think about the shows that make the most money for them, and BB is the main one and by just getting rid of it is just an insult to the fans.

If Viacom want Channel 5 to make more money and do well, they should make the wise decision to KEEP BB, otherwise they will have a bunch of Die-hard BB fans protesting outside Elstree Film Studios for a revival, they should think about their audience and all the loyal BB fans, we cannot be let down for a second time.

The reality TV genre CANNOT carry on without BB, it's the pinnacle of reality tv, I as a die hard BB fan would be baffled if any cheap knock-off reality tv shows, especially IACGMOOH, which basically stole the BB format and used it in a jungle last longer than Big Brother, that would most certainly be a kick up the arses of all Die-hard BB fans.

Marsh. 09-10-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duclos (Post 7314408)

Yes, I think so.

Rob! 09-10-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thediaryroomchair (Post 7314477)
Rob, I like the Keeping Up Appearances signature

Thanks, it had me laughing for about 5 minutes when I first saw it :laugh:

Quote:

As far as I understood it, it was contracted to run until next year, but the contract ran out this year.

daniel-lewis-1985 09-10-2014 12:53 PM

To be honest I would like to see another channel steal it away from Channel 5.

I would love to see it on ITVBe it would probably get the same viewing figures as it does on Channel 5 seeing as TOWIE got 730k last night when the channel had only launched at 8pm.

Channel 5 did not take care of the show they really have tarnished it after BB15. I agree that a channel shouldn't be reliant on a show but I find this comment very telling.

"“Maybe we continue with Big Brother, maybe if for some reason that didn’t work out we have the ability to put out other great programming,” “What is best direction for Channel 5? You can go too far with one genre even when it’s successful. That is one thing we’ve learned."

That's basically him admitting that Channel 5 have put out to many BB series so hopefully summer CBB will now be cut, I cant see it returning.

Viacom still haven't announced that BB will be back lets remember.

Matt 09-10-2014 06:59 PM

This was the first time that Viacom's CEO has spoken publicly since the Channel 5 deal went through - and in fact the first time he's spoken publicly about Big Brother - and rather than sing its praises, he was very eager to point out that C5 isn't dependent on it, even though it's their biggest show, and it could be used as a valuable tool to cross-promote Viacom's pay TV offerings (evidenced by the fact that Charlotte Crosby won her series). You never hear ITV speak about The X Factor in such a way even though it's down in the ratings.

Obviously it's been pointed out that his comments could be a ploy to reduce the cost of BB during negotiations, but taking them at face value this is bad news. Lets not forget C5's interest in BB was lukewarm at best until Richard Desmond bought it - he was the person that really wanted BB on C5 and now there are new overheads it's possible they'd prefer to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

The only positive is that Dauman said they'd leave it to the programming team to decide BB's future - Ben Frow seems a lot more enthusiastic about it.

Cal. 09-10-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 7315286)
This was the first time that Viacom's CEO has spoken publicly since the Channel 5 deal went through - and in fact the first time he's spoken publicly about Big Brother - and rather than sing its praises, he was very eager to point out that C5 isn't dependent on it, even though it's their biggest show, and it could be used as a valuable tool to cross-promote Viacom's pay TV offerings (evidenced by the fact that Charlotte Crosby won her series). You never hear ITV speak about The X Factor in such a way even though it's down in the ratings.

Obviously it's been pointed out that his comments could be a ploy to reduce the cost of BB during negotiations, but taking them at face value this is bad news. Lets not forget C5's interest in BB was lukewarm at best until Richard Desmond bought it - he was the person that really wanted BB on C5 and now there are new overheads it's possible they'd prefer to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

The only positive is that Dauman said they'd leave it to the programming team to decide BB's future - Ben Frow seems a lot more enthusiastic about it.

It's good that they've said they'll let the programming team to decide and then they'll pay for it, hopefully Ben Frow does fight to keep it on air because Viacom don't seem to care otherwise. I can only see it being 2 series next year and then it'll all be over.

Cal. 09-10-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

There's been no new contract as far as I know, but 2015 CBB in January and civilian in June have both been confirmed.

Also, the Viacom chief was on Sky News tonight to speak about his plans for Channel 5 and not once did he mention Big Brother, his interest is clearly not there at all. He was just talking about Spike TV and a range of different programming on Channel 5. It's just frustrating that everybody has hoped that Viacom taking over would spark change when actually to keep Big Brother safe on air we needed Desmond to stay on for as long as possible!:(

mrmattybeck1 10-10-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Is She? (Post 7315292)
There's been no new contract as far as I know, but 2015 CBB in January and civilian in June have both been confirmed.

Also, the Viacom chief was on Sky News tonight to speak about his plans for Channel 5 and not once did he mention Big Brother, his interest is clearly not there at all. He was just talking about Spike TV and a range of different programming on Channel 5. It's just frustrating that everybody has hoped that Viacom taking over would spark change when actually to keep Big Brother safe on air we needed Desmond to stay on for as long as possible!:(

Agree first thing Richard Desmond talked about when he came to c5 was big brother this is not looking good

Samm 10-10-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Is She? (Post 7315292)

His plans for C5, not the programs on the show

He will probably start announcing stuff when it's back on

Anyway from what I see he is just making a point that C5 is not all about Big Brother, what is probably a good thing since they will probably axe the CBB Summer version

warrenhill 10-10-2014 06:03 PM

C5 Frow unhappy with Big Brother 2014 casting

Channel 5′s director of programmes Ben Frow has revealed that he was unhappy with the cast of housemates on Big Brother 2014: Power Trip.

Show viewers were unsure about the casting right from the start of the series, claiming the line-up was too business-minded and more suited to a show like The Apprentice.

Throughout the run many also complained about there being too many arguments and a lack of fun in the house – mainly thanks to the presence of divisive salon owner Helen Wood, who was excluded from all evictions after being handed a pass to the final.

Now C5 boss Frow – the man responsible for hiring Emma Willis as Big Brother’s main presenter – has admitted that this year’s cast could have been better, but did not elaborate on what he thought was wrong with it.

Speaking at the recent Edinburgh International Television Festival, he said: “It was a challenging year, I’m not sure we got the casting right this year in many ways.”

Wood was crowned winner of Big Brother 2014 last month in one of the show’s closest results ever, with just 1.2% of the public vote separating her from runner-up Ashleigh Coyle.

The result was so controversial that it provoked 400 complaints to media regulator Ofcom, with Channel 5 releasing a lengthy statement insisting the outcome was above board.

However, fans questioned the credibility of C5′s account of events after noticing that it contained at least two factual errors, forcing the broadcaster to issue an amendment.

Elsewhere at the Festival, Frow defended the dip in ratings for Big Brother 2014, insisting he doesn’t want the fifteen-year-old show to be the “number one programme”.

Think he is right...the house mates on the whole this year were fairly boring.....