ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Gamergate (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274873)

Kizzy 24-03-2015 09:13 AM

Gamergate

What is your view on depression quest?

http://www.depressionquest.com/

'Until recently, you might have lived a life blissfully unaware of the online #Gamergate movement. But last week, computing giant Intel pulled its ads from an independent game-development site thanks to the gaming lobby. Now that major companies are taking sides, it's time to figure it out. Let us be your guides.'

http://gawker.com/what-is-gamergate-...eks-1642909080

Scarlett. 24-03-2015 10:04 AM

I find the whole thing absolutely ridiculous, both sides need to grow the hell up. They're both acting as bad as each other.

Niamh. 24-03-2015 10:12 AM

I got about half way through that explanation and gave up lol Basically, this woman who made a game about depression was being harassed by "gamers" (what are these? just video game players?) because they don't like women being involved in video games?

Scarlett. 24-03-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 7655858)
I got about half way through that explanation and gave up lol Basically, this woman who made a game about depression was being harassed by "gamers" (what are these? just video game players?) because they don't like women being involved in video games?

That's pretty much what it started, but it has become such an ugly convoluted mess that all the normal people who play video games are tired of.

Niamh. 24-03-2015 10:16 AM

this comment did make me laugh a bit though :hehe:

Too long.

"What is #GamerGate?"

"Ever met a dip**** teenager who thought he was oppressed? This is another form of that."

Niamh. 24-03-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 7655859)
That's pretty much what it started, but it has become such an ugly convoluted mess that all the normal people who play video games are tired of.

What do these people just ............not play her game if they don't like it? :laugh:

Scarlett. 24-03-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 7655862)
What do these people just ............not play her game if they don't like it? :laugh:

I really don't know, there seems to be a popular thing at the moment with people constantly whinging about games they don't like, and overreacting to games they don't like.

Niamh. 24-03-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 7655864)
I really don't know, there seems to be a popular thing at the moment with people constantly whinging about games they don't like, and overreacting to games they don't like.

That's just really strange, just don't buy the thing then, it's not rocket science, is it? :laugh:

Scarlett. 24-03-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 7655865)
That's just really strange, just don't buy the thing then, it's not rocket science, is it? :laugh:

I think there was more to the Depression Quest thing, I heard stuff about the creator apparently sleeping with a reviewer or something, but I didn't really pay attention to it all. It's just all really odd. :laugh:

MTVN 24-03-2015 10:26 AM

This sounds like something I'll never be interested in

Kizzy 24-03-2015 10:58 AM

It's actually really interesting it's more like an interactive novel than a game, not something your average grand theft auto player would be into I suppose.

Niamh. 24-03-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655885)
It's actually really interesting it's more like an interactive novel than a game, not something your average grand theft auto player would be into I suppose.

I've been reading through the comments below the article and I'm getting a better grip of the situation from there. Sounds like another case of people thinking they're untouchable behind their computer screens and behaving in a repulsive way, this type of trolling and speaking to and about people in that kind of way seems to almost be like a game in itself, that's quite worrying

Kizzy 24-03-2015 11:40 AM

I agree, it's abuse whichever way you look at it.
Have you had a go at playing it? It's a bit real for me and had to turn it of :laugh:

Niamh. 24-03-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655904)
I agree, it's abuse whichever way you look at it.
Have you had a go at playing it? It's a bit real for me and had to turn it of :laugh:

Which? That depression Quest game? No lol, I'm as far from being a "gamer" as you can get, I haven't played a game like that since Sonic and Mario were popular :laugh:

Toy Soldier 24-03-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655885)

Ignorance Kizzy! Grand Theft Auto, since San Andreas at least (so the last 3 full games) if you play the game "properly" through the storyline rather than just mindlessly blowing stuff to bits, it's actually a very intelligent game full of pop culture mockery, political commentary and satire.

I actually think they're brilliant games for teens to play, if they're subliminally taking in the messages being offered.

:hmph:

Kizzy 24-03-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 7655906)
Which? That depression Quest game? No lol, I'm as far from being a "gamer" as you can get, I haven't played a game like that since Sonic and Mario were popular :laugh:

Honestly Niamh neither am I, just have a look.
I clicked back on and finished it... bit choked tbh.
Those dumb, drone minded gamers :fist:

Kizzy 24-03-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7655907)
Ignorance Kizzy! Grand Theft Auto, since San Andreas at least (so the last 3 full games) if you play the game "properly" through the storyline rather than just mindlessly blowing stuff to bits, it's actually a very intelligent game full of pop culture mockery, political commentary and satire.

I actually think they're brilliant games for teens to play, if they're subliminally taking in the messages being offered.

:hmph:

I thought the whole concept of being subliminally influenced by a video game was a fallacy?... :suspect:

Tom4784 24-03-2015 11:57 AM

They're just a bunch of morons who perpetuate the gamer stereotype in the worst possible way. Fedora wearing losers with bad necksweat that blame all women because they're too repulsive inside and out to get a girlfriend.

Toy Soldier 24-03-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655911)
I thought the whole concept of being subliminally influenced by a video game was a fallacy?... :suspect:

I don't mean manipulated or programmed, I mean that it offers some quite overt messages about the establishment, authority, politics and western culture. The sort of things that many teens aren't naturally inclined to seek out - so it's a massive positive if they encounter these ideas when they're "just gaming".

Kizzy 24-03-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7655918)
I don't mean manipulated or programmed, I mean that it offers some quite overt messages about the establishment, authority, politics and western culture. The sort of things that many teens aren't naturally inclined to seek out - so it's a massive positive if they encounter these ideas when they're "just gaming".

Oh, so they're a medium to influence young minds? I never thought a game about raping and killing people could be used in such a interesting and informative way.

Toy Soldier 24-03-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655920)
Oh, so they're a medium to influence young minds? I never thought a game about raping and killing people could be used in such a interesting and informative way.

That's what I mean by ignorance, Kizzy... Grand theft auto isn't about raping and killing people. You CAN indiscriminately kill people, I'm sure a lot of people do, but you're not supposed to.

Its OK if you don't "get it" though Kizzy. The Media has been demonising gaming for years and GTA has taken a major chunk of it. It's OK that you've just accepted everything you've read or heard without actually having any clue about gaming as a creative medium. Totes OK.

Tom4784 24-03-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7655920)

There's no raping to be found in GTA and you face consequences for killing indiscriminately.

Do you not think that something that contains violence cannot be informative or otherwise inspirational? Do you hold films and TV shows to the same standards?

LeatherTrumpet 24-03-2015 12:15 PM

http://acidcow.com/pics/20111028/famous_movies_01.gif

Kizzy 24-03-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 7655936)
There's no raping to be found in GTA and you face consequences for killing indiscriminately.

Do you not think that something that contains violence cannot be informative or otherwise inspirational? Do you hold films and TV shows to the same standards?

I read about it a while ago and made reference to it, I don't hold anything to a standard I was objecting to the inference that they were a positive influence and an aid to heighten awareness of social and political issues via satire is all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...ing-women.html

Kizzy 24-03-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7655924)
That's what I mean by ignorance, Kizzy... Grand theft auto isn't about raping and killing people. You CAN indiscriminately kill people, I'm sure a lot of people do, but you're not supposed to.

Its OK if you don't "get it" though Kizzy. The Media has been demonising gaming for years and GTA has taken a major chunk of it. It's OK that you've just accepted everything you've read or heard without actually having any clue about gaming as a creative medium. Totes OK.

My opinion of GTA isn't really the issue or relevant to the thread, I could've used any number of violent video game as an example.... If not being au fait with these games makes me ignorant then yes I am, and happy to be thankyou.
Can we get back to my topic now?