ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Tory minister attempts to block new bill that could make cancer drugs as cheap as 5p (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291424)

JoshBB 06-11-2015 05:09 PM

Tory minister attempts to block new bill that could make cancer drugs as cheap as 5p

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...forces-6782577

Absolutely despicable. Shows just how much some tories are linked in with corporations and pharmacists.

JoshBB 06-11-2015 05:12 PM

Similar to what happened here a few days ago: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...drones-6735548

One tory spoke for 90 MINUTES and this led to the bill being shelved because no vote could be called while they rambled on

Amy Jade 06-11-2015 05:21 PM

Evil bastards

smudgie 06-11-2015 06:03 PM

Absolutely ridiculous rule.
There are a few that are well known for dragging out their waffle to stop a bill having any chance.

I don't understand fully quite what this does of doesn't do, it says in the article that the doctors can prescribe the old drugs already.
Seems too stupid to even think that if a drug meant for one illness that can help with a different one cannot be prescribed.

kirklancaster 06-11-2015 06:06 PM

Burt is one huge despicable turd of a human being, but a system which actually allows this to happen is seriously flawed and needs serious and immediate overhaul.

For the record - there is no difference between Tory or Labour politicians when it comes to personal avarice, self-interest, and Machiavellian skullduggery.

From Jack Straw to Malcolm Rifkind, many Labour and Tory Ministers have taken lucrative Directorships with private Companies whose interests they served whilst in government.

The whole system is corrupt.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that ANY of these jackals are REALLY there to SERVE the public interest over their own?

Toy Soldier 06-11-2015 07:36 PM

I've been watching / reading a fair bit about the cancer industry lately, the whole thing is terrifying. There is SO MUCH MORE that can be done to help cancer sufferers - to improve the chances of those who can recover, or to extend the time left that terminal patients have and how comfortable that time is - things that are cheap, natural and simple but they are held beck because they are not profitable. In the US, doctors face malpractice suits (from their employers, not their patients!) and risk being struck off if they even suggest alternative methods - even to people who have been given only months to live. Why would that be? Think about it. They've been told that they're dead anyway, trying something different isn't going to make them more dead, so why not? One simple reason. If one of these alternative methods happens to actually work, or help at all, then that cuts a chunk of profit out of the machine.

TBH if I'm unlucky enough to ever get cancer... I think I'll probably take my chances rather than allow the cash-gobbling cancer system to have me as a snack.

Edited to add: Just as a bit of info, the cancer industry (drugs & tech) is worth over 120 Billion US$ annually. I personally need not know much more to know what it is that we're dealing with here.

kirklancaster 06-11-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8270023)
I've been watching / reading a fair bit about the cancer industry lately, the whole thing is terrifying. There is SO MUCH MORE that can be done to help cancer sufferers - to improve the chances of those who can recover, or to extend the time left that terminal patients have and how comfortable that time is - things that are cheap, natural and simple but they are held beck because they are not profitable. In the US, doctors face malpractice suits (from their employers, not their patients!) and risk being struck off if they even suggest alternative methods - even to people who have been given only months to live. Why would that be? Think about it. They've been told that they're dead anyway, trying something different isn't going to make them more dead, so why not? One simple reason. If one of these alternative methods happens to actually work, or help at all, then that cuts a chunk of profit out of the machine.

TBH if I'm unlucky enough to ever get cancer... I think I'll probably take my chances rather than allow the cash-gobbling cancer system to have me as a snack.

You are so right about this T.S. but I think it compounds the horror when it is our HEALTH MINISTER who is depriving these poor stricken people from the chance of life.

Toy Soldier 06-11-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirklancaster (Post 8270031)
You are so right about this T.S. but I think it compounds the horror when it is our HEALTH MINISTER who is depriving these poor stricken people from the chance of life.

If you go back to the "roots" of it all (Victorian times, and then really ramping up in the mid 20th century) it's quite simple really. A lot of these groups / families who end up in things live politics, pharma, the more political side of medicine etc. all have had their fingers in the same old pies for generations.

kirklancaster 06-11-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8270040)
If you go back to the "roots" of it all (Victorian times, and then really ramping up in the mid 20th century) it's quite simple really. A lot of these groups / families who end up in things live politics, pharma, the more political side of medicine etc. all have had their fingers in the same old pies for generations.

Yep - any position which gives them power and the opportunity to preserve the Status Quo and increase their own personal wealth.

bitontheslide 06-11-2015 07:52 PM

its indefensible, he should be thrown out of parliament.

DemolitionRed 06-11-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8270040)

Absolutely TS
This link should be bookmarked for future reference because it tells us exactly who, within our government, has a vested financial interest in our care system and pharmaceutical industries http://socialinvestigations.blogspot...lation-of.html

Tom4784 06-11-2015 08:12 PM

****ing Tories.

Kizzy 07-11-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 8269817)
Similar to what happened here a few days ago: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...drones-6735548

One tory spoke for 90 MINUTES and this led to the bill being shelved because no vote could be called while they rambled on

Fillibustering, why are they still allowed to do this? Read about Phillip Davis what a twonk! Weed out all those with a conflict of interest and deny them a vote.

AnnieK 07-11-2015 11:38 AM

Disgraceful.....but I don't think it matters which party is in Government on issues such as these. Things like this would always happen. Completely indefensible

kirklancaster 07-11-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 8270503)
Disgraceful.....but I don't think it matters which party is in Government on issues such as these. Things like this would always happen. Completely indefensible

Absolutely.

Kizzy 07-11-2015 01:02 PM

The question is what reason did Alistair Burt have for killing the bill that had cross party support?

empire 07-11-2015 10:11 PM

there is no need for cameron and his toffee-nosed mates to lie now, the G election is over for now.

the truth 08-11-2015 06:31 AM

SCUM

Northern Monkey 08-11-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 8270064)
****ing Tories.