ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB17 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=683)
-   -   The social ramifications if Tiffany wins... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297145)

Raph 02-02-2016 03:25 PM

The social ramifications if Tiffany wins...

If Tiffany wins, she will be the first female black winner in 63 seasons of the show in the UK, Canada, USA and Australia combined. Surely it's about bloody time.

Also for some interesting statistics, of the 63 seasons:

POC Winners - 4/63
--> Shilpa (CBB5), Jun (BB4USA), Brian (BB8UK) and Trevor (BBAU4)

Black female winners - 0/63
Asian male winners - 0/63

GO TIFFANY! (Not that this is the only reason she should win by any means but it's a statistic worth considering).

Niamh. 02-02-2016 03:30 PM

I suppose part of the problem as well is that (going by the British BB anyway) you might only have one black HM per season (male or female)

Raph 02-02-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8484051)
I suppose part of the problem as well is that (going by the British BB anyway) you might only have one black HM per season (male or female)

Absolutely! Casting is just as much to blame as the public and social structures for the end result. BB9 or BB6 are great examples where casting actually seemed to choose people based on personality instead of ethnicity. Explains why BBUK on Channel 5 have never had a POC winner!

Raph 02-02-2016 03:35 PM

And to add to that if we compare male and female statistics again, it also shows how social constructs about gender and what we expect of men and women influence the winner outcome as well. I'm starting to want to come up with some statistics and calculations, estimating the probability for a POC or female to win Big Brother, or any other reality TV show for that matter!

Niamh. 02-02-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raph (Post 8484057)
And to add to that if we compare male and female statistics again, it also shows how social constructs about gender and what we expect of men and women influence the winner outcome as well. I'm starting to want to come up with some statistics and calculations, estimating the probability for a POC or female to win Big Brother, or any other reality TV show for that matter!

Oh do that, I like a good old Statistic :laugh:

Raph 02-02-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8484061)
Oh do that, I like a good old Statistic :laugh:

I will! Also this is ironic and I wouldn't complain about it normally but LOL there have been almost as many Welsh winners as POC winners in 63 seasons, and just think of the population of Wales... :laugh: Gives a good argument suggesting that despite casting only picking one black male a year, a Welsh person (usually there's only one a year) and that divided by 4 (since there are no Welsh contestants outside of UK seasons) have basically just as much chance of winning a series, overall. Damn!

Raph 02-02-2016 04:18 PM

Sign of the times, Tiffany HAS to win!

Niamh. 02-02-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raph (Post 8484145)
Sign of the times, Tiffany HAS to win!

I don't think she will Raph but fingers crossed anyway

Raph 02-02-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8484154)
I don't think she will Raph but fingers crossed anyway

Yeah I think she has no chance :( It'll be Darren v Scotty two basic males in the final 2 as usual :joker:

LeatherTrumpet 02-02-2016 04:22 PM

I think it would be the end of BB

why

Because it will mean someone has won by simply being 100% fake and pandering to what the producers think YOU want

drama, sex, stereotypes

I think it would be a disaster for the fight against racism

it would be a terrible terrible disaster for BB

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:23 PM

It's not going to happen but I've got everything crossed :fc:

Those stats in the OP shock me frankly :0 At least if Tiff wins it will be on merit also

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8484160)
I think it would be the end of BB

why

Because it will mean someone has won by simply being 100% fake and pandering to what the producers think YOU want

drama, sex, stereotypes

I think it would be a disaster for the fight against racism

it would be a terrible terrible disaster for BB

Yet the show is still going after Helen won

http://cdn.thisisbigbrother.com/cust...r37810_771.gif

Cherie 02-02-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete. (Post 8484162)

And this is why there are no social ramifications at all. It's an edited TV show ..end of

LeatherTrumpet 02-02-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete. (Post 8484162)

Helen was a total cow but she was who she was and no way a fake

what you saw was who she was and she did not hoor her way through the show

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8484167)

She was the epitome of the drama/stereotypes that the producers wanted to see and she used her sexual tactics with Ash (Steven and Kim just overshadowed them). She wasn't fake mind, but neither is Tiff

parmnion 02-02-2016 04:29 PM

most of the poc contestants in the british civilian BB's have been awful and mostly loud mouthed bitches.

I'm not surprised they don't win.

I think the blame must lay with the people who select these utter twats because when we get a good one like brian they go on to do really well.

What about Gina and makosi..they were both loved by loads of people and went on to do well in the competition.

Maybe when it comes to the british version the stats do lie a bit.

Kazanne 02-02-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete. (Post 8484169)
She was the epitome of the drama/stereotypes that the producers wanted to see and she used her sexual tactics with Ash (Steven and Kim just overshadowed them). She wasn't fake mind, but neither is Tiff

If I recall correctly there was no way Helen used any sexual tactics with anyone nevermind Ash,you cant pin that one on her.

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:31 PM

Not the Gina and Makosi argument :rolleyes: Makosi was absolutely loathed when she came out (as was Gina to some extent)

Tarryn 02-02-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8484167)

Surely the fact that Helen was being "real" makes it even worse :shrug:
Awful woman.
The trouble is that BB has been on for so long now that everybody plays the BB game well.
It would be horrible to see somebody like Scotty win as he has zero personality.
Tiffany has been more entertaining & would be a good winner but not based on her race but the fact that she has been better than most in there while being treated badly by others.
How many fat people have won BB ?. Are we prejudice against them too ?.
As there has been some pretty vile comments about Gemma.

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 8484176)
If I recall correctly there was no way Helen used any sexual tactics with anyone nevermind Ash,you cant pin that one on her.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...n-wood-3942100

parmnion 02-02-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete. (Post 8484178)
Not the Gina and Makosi argument :rolleyes: Makosi was absolutely loathed when she came out (as was Gina to some extent)

both did well though, Gina was 3rd and makosi made the final....what about Derek as well, he was a class hm, probably evicted because of his age rather than his skin colour..

Interesting thread though.

bitontheslide 02-02-2016 04:37 PM

Tiff is growing on me. I think she is just having a bit of fun to relieve the boredom of that dreadful place, and as none of the current crop are particularly blessed in the intelligence stakes, her options for entertainment are pretty sparse.

I would like to see her in a top 3 place, winning really is pretty meaningless and irrelevant

Cherie 02-02-2016 04:39 PM

I literally don't care who out of this lot wins, worst set of CBB HMs ever

Headie 02-02-2016 04:44 PM

The only time a black woman has won a BB anywhere ever is in BB Africa, and even then there are only a few female winners. Says it all really.

Let's hope Tiffany can be the second black girl to ever make the top 2 after Legend Danielle Reyes :love:

Pete. 02-02-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 8484205)
The only time a black woman has won a BB anywhere ever is in BB Africa, and even then there are only a few female winners. Says it all really.

Let's hope Tiffany can be the second black girl to ever make the top 2 after Legend Danielle Reyes :love:

Danielle was the real winner though