ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   How do you feel about this Gorilla thing? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301493)

Amy Jade 31-05-2016 03:45 PM

I think shooting the Gorilla was ultimately the right decision, it was clearly not protecting the child and had the animal been tranquilized it could have lashed out and killed the kid.

I do blame the parent, she should have been aware of where her child was at all times, it's not about keeping an eye on him 24/7 as some have said it's about being a good parent and bring responsible. On facebook a woman who visits the zoo frequently said the child must have crawled through shrubbery and over railings to even get close to the edge of the edge of the enclosure. The stupid bitch clearly took her eyes off her child for more than a few seconds for him to do that.

Amy Jade 31-05-2016 03:48 PM

When I used to go to Chester Zoo when I was little I remember my mum holding my hand at the open exhibits, it's not solely down to the zoo to babysit, a little common sense is surely expected?

Niamh. 31-05-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 8673465)
I think shooting the Gorilla was ultimately the right decision, it was clearly not protecting the child and had the animal been tranquilized it could have lashed out and killed the kid.

I do blame the parent, she should have been aware of where her child was at all times, it's not about keeping an eye on him 24/7 as some have said it's about being a good parent and bring responsible. On facebook a woman who visits the zoo frequently said the child must have crawled through shrubbery and over railings to even get close to the edge of the edge of the enclosure. The stupid bitch clearly took her eyes off her child for more than a few seconds for him to do that.

Not necessarily, she could have taken her eyes off him for a couple of seconds giving him enough time to be out of her sight, that doesn't mean she wasn't looking around for him in the wrong places, giving him enough time to climb in there (I'm not saying this is what happened, just that it doesn't actually mean that she wasn't paying attention for all that time that it took for him to get in there, if you get what I mean)

Niamh. 31-05-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 8673470)
When I used to go to Chester Zoo when I was little I remember my mum holding my hand at the open exhibits, it's not solely down to the zoo to babysit, a little common sense is surely expected?

I wouldn't call making sure enclosures are secure baby sitting :laugh:

Ashley. 31-05-2016 03:53 PM

LT is anti-religion? I would never have guessed.

Ammi 31-05-2016 04:00 PM

..a zoo is though a place which is essentially for families to visit..so built to keep out children from the enclosures and keep them safe ... with fences ..?...they should be made so that it wouldn't ever be possible for any child to climb over and this is a very young/small child as well..so, so much easier for a larger child..?..there shouldn't have been any shrubbery which could have been crawled through etc and no possible way for him to have been able to get into the enclosure...I mean, that seems like basic safety requirements because it would have to be allowed for parents taking their eyes of their child for a few moments...

Amy Jade 31-05-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8673475)
I wouldn't call making sure enclosures are secure baby sitting :laugh:

And I wouldn't call watching your child closely in a zoo much to ask, undoubtedly the enclosure wasn't as appropriate as it should have been but if the mother had put his interests first and actually taken care of him none of this would have happened.

Niamh. 31-05-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 8673500)
And I wouldn't call watching your child closely in a zoo much to ask, undoubtedly the enclosure wasn't as appropriate as it should have been but if the mother had put his interests first and actually taken care of him none of this would have happened.

I think you're being unreasonable tbh, people get distracted, it happens, wait till you have a kid yourself and come back to me when they're 5 and tell me that not one single time in their whole life did you get distracted :laugh:

LaLaLand 31-05-2016 04:11 PM

Parents need to be reprimanded for causing all of this mess by not watching their child but also the zoo need to look into how such a small child could be able to get into the enclosure to avoid anything happening like this again for sure (higher barriers for a start!)

That poor gorilla.

arista 31-05-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalSid (Post 8673242)
The mother's an idiot and the Gorilla should have been tranquilised.

Bang On Right DS

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 04:21 PM

In a zoo, looking at a massive gorilla, in an open pen situation, you dont ever take your eye off a kid, even for 1 second

Niamh. 31-05-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8673523)
In a zoo, looking at a massive gorilla, in an open pen situation, you dont ever take your eye off a kid, even for 1 second

omg I'm sorry but this coming from the guy who defended the McCanns decision to leave three babies alone in an unlocked apartment while they went out drinking :o

_Tom_ 31-05-2016 04:23 PM

The right thing was done as far as I am concerned. It's humans before animals, end of story. No sane person could sit there and watch a 4 year old boy get killed by an animal. If they hadn't have stepped in, and the boy had died, everyone would be up in arms that they didn't shoot the gorilla.

For a kid to be able to in the first place get into a gorilla enclosure is a safety issue at the zoo you would think.

I just don't get the uproar about it, the gorilla's dead which of course is sad, but hello - we've got a 4 year old boy who's safe and sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 8673500)

The parents have more than one kid, it's tough to keep your eye on every kid. If you turn your eye for a second, anything can happen. Parents make mistakes, no parent is perfect.

Niamh. 31-05-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tom_ (Post 8673528)
The right thing was done as far as I am concerned. It's humans before animals, end of story. No sane person could sit there and watch a 4 year old boy get killed by an animal. If they hadn't have stepped in, and the boy had died, everyone would be up in arms that they didn't shoot the gorilla.

For a kid to be able to in the first place get into a gorilla enclosure is a safety issue at the zoo you would think.

I just don't get the uproar about it, the gorilla's dead which of course is sad, but hello - we've got a 4 year old boy who's safe and sound.

The parents have more than one kid, it's tough to keep your eye on every kid. If you turn your eye for a second, anything can happen. Parents make mistakes, no parent is perfect.

:clap2:

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tom_ (Post 8673528)

so by that token I hope you are not one of those who criticise the Mccanns?

Niamh. 31-05-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8673535)
so by that token I hope you are not one of those who criticise the Mccanns?

I wouldn't call making a conscious decision to leave you children on their own for hours while you went out drinking a momentary distraction, how you justify that but condemn these parents is baffling tbqh

Tom4784 31-05-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8673527)
omg I'm sorry but this coming from the guy who defended the McCanns decision to leave three babies alone in an unlocked apartment while they went out drinking :o

https://40.media.tumblr.com/de5660f4...d93ao2_400.jpg

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 04:33 PM

Astonishing new footage shows gorilla 'PROTECTING' boy and holding his hand before

Astonishing new footage shows gorilla 'PROTECTING' boy and holding his hand before being shot dead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...orilla-8082168

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 04:36 PM

Also think about the other Gorillas in that pen, intelligent creatures, what do they now think about Humans?

Toy Soldier 31-05-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

'Do you know any four-year-olds? They can climb over anything'
Trying to avoid the blame with ridiculous statements: I know plenty of 4 year olds and, no, amazingly, they can't simply "climb over anything" :suspect:.

IF they are going to keep dangerous animals in captivity, they need better enclosures. That's about the long and short of it. This idea that it would be "impossible" to have fences that a child couldn't climb over... is just nonsense.

Toy Soldier 31-05-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8673559)
Astonishing new footage shows gorilla 'PROTECTING' boy and holding his hand before being shot dead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...orilla-8082168

There's a good chance that the gorilla was trying to protect the boy, it certainly sounds like it, however it would take a split second for it to kill him even completely unintentionally... especially in a situation where people are starting to panic and the animal is becoming confused. It's tragic, and maybe they could have gotten him out without incident, but in my opinion, it's simply not worth risking the child's life in that way.

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8673587)
There's a good chance that the gorilla was trying to protect the boy, it certainly sounds like it, however it would take a split second for it to kill him even completely unintentionally... especially in a situation where people are starting to panic and the animal is becoming confused. It's tragic, and maybe they could have gotten him out without incident, but in my opinion, it's simply not worth risking the child's life in that way.

I dont buy "she only took her eye off him for a second"

It does not take a second to get into a dangerous animal pen - it takes a second to run off to the ice cream van but go under the rail, through wires and over the moat wall?

If it so easy it would happen all the time surely? I would be very interested to see the video footage of the bit prior to him entering..

Toy Soldier 31-05-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8673612)
I dont buy "she only took her eye off him for a second"

It does not take a second to get into a dangerous animal pen - it takes a second to run off to the ice cream van but go under the rail, through wires and over the moat wall?

If it so easy it would happen all the time surely? I would be very interested to see the video footage of the bit prior to him entering..

I agree and I wouldn't take my eyes off my kids for a second if there was any risk at all of something like that happening (dangerous animals and fences that aren't basically sky-high)... however I have to say, like others, I do find it a bit confusing that you particularly have such an issue with it LT...

Anyway, HOW he got in there doesn't really affect my thinking on whether or not they should have killed the gorilla. No matter whose fault it was (parents or park... it was definitely someone's) it happened, and from that point there was really only one outcome.

LeatherTrumpet 31-05-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8673634)
I agree and I wouldn't take my eyes off my kids for a second if there was any risk at all of something like that happening (dangerous animals and fences that aren't basically sky-high)... however I have to say, like others, I do find it a bit confusing that you particularly have such an issue with it LT...

Anyway, HOW he got in there doesn't really affect my thinking on whether or not they should have killed the gorilla. No matter whose fault it was (parents or park... it was definitely someone's) it happened, and from that point there was really only one outcome.

Whilst I get why it was shot I am not 100% comfortable with the notion that a human life is somehow more valuable than that of a gorilla but that is another debate

AnnieK 31-05-2016 05:10 PM

It's a terribly sad situation. The gorilla certainly looks like he is trying to protect the boy and by all accounts the screaming visitors were agitating the situation but ultimately there was only going to be one outcome when a child is at risk. Had the gorilla killed him, I would imagine he would be put to sleep anyway. The zoo should have ensured there was no possible way this could have happened.....or better still zoos shouldn't have caged animals and money invested in conservation in the wild.