ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ricky Gervias on Religion. Is there anything here you disagree with? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309173)

LeatherTrumpet 29-08-2016 11:22 AM

Ricky Gervias on Religion. Is there anything here you disagree with?

Is there anything here that you would disagree with?

:think:

LeatherTrumpet 29-08-2016 11:23 AM

ignore the YOutube title as that is just one persons take and not the title of the interview etc

Niamh. 29-08-2016 11:34 AM

Will give it a watch on my lunch break, I'm a big fan of his though

Niamh. 29-08-2016 01:09 PM

watched it, I agree with him for the most part. The agnostic question has given me some food for thought though :think:

Kizzy 29-08-2016 01:22 PM

You may incur the wrath of the indoctrinated LT... best polish your best moral armour. I'm not his biggest fan but it's an interesting area for satirical comedy, anything that gets people thinking for themselves as opposed to a collective is ok in my book (the gospel according to St Kizz)

LeatherTrumpet 29-08-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8952921)
watched it, I agree with him for the most part. The agnostic question has given me some food for thought though :think:

im sort of either way on that bit

Niamh. 29-08-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8952934)
im sort of either way on that bit

Yeah, in the past I would have said I was agnostic, now though I don't like having to label myself in anyway really. I just want to be a person living their life :laugh: I suppose though I wouldn't say his view on agnostics is right imo because all they're really saying is I don't know how the world started (if there ever was a start) so I'm open to the possibility that it could have been made by a deity of some sort?

Walter White 29-08-2016 01:58 PM

I don't agree with him on agnosticism but everything else he said makes sense. I'm an antitheist. Religion is the worst thing that ever happened to this species IMO. I hope to live to see the day when we ALL see sense!

Cherie 29-08-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoboCop (Post 8952957)
I don't agree with him on agnosticism but everything else he said makes sense. I'm an antitheist. Religion is the worst thing that ever happened to this species IMO. I hope to live to see the day when we ALL see sense!

With or without religion human being will still want to **** on one another power, money and status and wanting control are Gods for a lot more people than Religious Deities.

Niamh. 29-08-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8952961)
With or without religion human being will still want to **** on one another power, money and status and wanting control are Gods for a lot more people than Religious Deities.

Yeah, Power really is the root of all evil, organised religion (in my humble opinion of course) is just a tool that humans used to gain power over people, if that goes no doubt something else would replace it

Cherie 29-08-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8952962)
Yeah, Power really is the root of all evil, organised religion (in my humble opinion of course) is just a tool that humans used to gain power over people, if that goes no doubt something else would replace it

:clap2:

the truth 29-08-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8952961)

The only post I agree with here , spot on

As for gervais hes a brilliant comedy mind, religion is by far his weakest subject as he ends up always going for the cheap shot, the cheap laugh and the obvious cynicism. I really think his thoughts in this area lack and insight and compassion.

LeatherTrumpet 29-08-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the truth (Post 8953042)
The only post I agree with here , spot on

As for gervais hes a brilliant comedy mind, religion is by far his weakest subject as he ends up always going for the cheap shot, the cheap laugh and the obvious cynicism. I really think his thoughts in this area lack and insight and compassion.

But where was he wrong?

Alf 29-08-2016 04:28 PM

I'll give it a watch when I sober up tomorrow. Not in any state to comment on this now.

the truth 29-08-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 8953200)
But where was he wrong?

his whole attitude and approach is wrong, its judgemental tedious mean spirited on the whole, attention seeking, hypocritical and condescending...he tries to over simplify and put into a box the billions who believe in a God or a greater being.if people want to believe in a God or superior being good for them. what people believe in is none of my business or gervaises. He doesnt come to it from a good place...now billy connolly a man of profound sincerity and a heart the size of texas approaches these subjects differently, he rips the piss out of anything and everything , yet remains open minded and benevolent soul...just seeing him getting highwith the navajo indians and running around naked in the desert was proof enough of that lol....gervais becomes quite sad and cynical when discussing religion. i remmeber well him sneer at kevin kline when discussing religion and beliefs in a greater being and wonderment at creation. its ironic too because gervais is more preachy than any comic ive ever known. hes far better in character playing a smug deluded buffooon...strange how hes soo great at playing that role...leave the real great comedy to billy, louis ck, richard pryor and larry david, etc

Toy Soldier 29-08-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 8952962)

Indeed, as in South Park when Cartman goes to the future, where the United Atheist Alliance is fighting against the Unified Atheist League.

I've sort of come around to that way of thinking with regards to being antitheist... People will always find things to follow with dogma and reasons to **** each other up. Might as well let people have their pretty fairytales if they're inclined to believe them and gain some comfort from them... Even if I know that it's certainly nonsense.

Cherie 29-08-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8953447)
Indeed, as in South Park when Cartman goes to the future, where the United Atheist Alliance is fighting against the Unified Atheist League.

I've sort of come around to that way of thinking with regards to being antitheist... People will always find things to follow with dogma and reasons to **** each other up. Might as well let people have their pretty fairytales if they're inclined to believe them and gain some comfort from them... Even if I know that it's certainly nonsense.

Or you could have just quoted my post as I said more or less the same thing ::hee:

Toy Soldier 29-08-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8953478)
Or you could have just quoted my post as I said more or less the same thing ::hee:

I prefer Niamh though :hee:

Cherie 29-08-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8953485)
I prefer Niamh though :hee:

I'm so gutted

Kizzy 29-08-2016 08:30 PM

TS has to suck bum these days to keep from having his controversial ass booted Cherie ;)
Belief in god and religion are inextricably linked, it's this that needs to be questioned It's perfectly acceptable to have one without the other without silly labels like agnostic.

Cherie 29-08-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8953510)
TS has to suck ass these days to keep from having his controversial ass booted Cherie ;)
Belief in god and religion are inextricably linked, it's this that needs to be questioned It's perfectly acceptable to have one without the other without silly labels like agnostic.

:joker: it's one of the things that amuses me about TiBB, who needs BB, the psychology on TiBB is endlessly amusing :laugh:

Kizzy 29-08-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8953523)
:joker: it's one of the things that amuses me about TiBB, who needs BB, the psychology on TiBB is endlessly amusing :laugh:

innit tho? ;)

Toy Soldier 29-08-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 8953510)
TS has to suck bum these days to keep from having his controversial ass booted Cherie ;)

I've got Niamh in my pocket and I'm working on Vicky. Dezzy's been getting a little shaky though, one to watch there :suspect:. Thankfully they'll never figure out my nefarious scheme.

Johnnyuk123 29-08-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the truth (Post 8953270)
his whole attitude and approach is wrong, its judgemental tedious mean spirited on the whole, attention seeking, hypocritical and condescending...he tries to over simplify and put into a box the billions who believe in a God or a greater being.if people want to believe in a God or superior being good for them. what people believe in is none of my business or gervaises. He doesnt come to it from a good place...now billy connolly a man of profound sincerity and a heart the size of texas approaches these subjects differently, he rips the piss out of anything and everything , yet remains open minded and benevolent soul...just seeing him getting highwith the navajo indians and running around naked in the desert was proof enough of that lol....gervais becomes quite sad and cynical when discussing religion. i remmeber well him sneer at kevin kline when discussing religion and beliefs in a greater being and wonderment at creation. its ironic too because gervais is more preachy than any comic ive ever known. hes far better in character playing a smug deluded buffooon...strange how hes soo great at playing that role...leave the real great comedy to billy, louis ck, richard pryor and larry david, etc

This too can be said of many religious people.

Kizzy 29-08-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8953562)
I've got Niamh in my pocket and I'm working on Vicky. Dezzy's been getting a little shaky though, one to watch there :suspect:. Thankfully they'll never figure out my nefarious scheme.

Dezzy? That pussy cat! Putty in my hands mate, putty in my hands :)