ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   "New Poll uncovers Trump Supporters Alternate Reality" (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312829)

Jamie89 11-12-2016 06:22 AM

"New Poll uncovers Trump Supporters Alternate Reality"

I found this so interesting, it's basically a poll that shows across various areas such as unemployment rates, economy etc, how Trump supporters 'generally' view the status of those things compared to the actual status of them (and compared to non-Trump supporters).

Personally I think there were many reasons why a lot of people voted for him other than the issues mentioned in this video (so I'm not trying to perpetuate the 'dumb Trump supporters' rhetoric) but still, it highlights the level of misinformation that was going around during the election, and just the disparity between Trump supporters and non-Trump supporters, we keep hearing how divided America is and this shows that I think.

I'd love to know what Trump supporters think of the poll. Personally I'm most interested in the tax returns issue and why so many people don't want him to release them.

(I know MSNBC is pretty biased btw but even without that, the poll kind of speaks for itself and raises a lot of questions - and PPP seem like a pretty credible source. Also you can skip the first 3 minutes of the video, it doesn't really get into the stats until after that.)

Kizzy 11-12-2016 05:39 PM

They don't call this the 'post truth era' for nothing.

Tom4784 11-12-2016 06:03 PM

It goes without saying that most Trump supporters are uninformed. Most people that support protest candidates are which is why Trump took the White House despite lying repeatedly about everything.

People don't care for the truth they prefer their delusion.

arista 11-12-2016 06:03 PM

Jamie
polls prove feck All.
exclusive to a left wing media - NOT INPARTIAL

hence our brexit
and US Trump win

Kizzy 11-12-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 9093651)
Jamie
polls prove feck All.

hence our brexit
and US Trump win

We don't have a left wing media.

arista 11-12-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9093650)
It goes without saying that most Trump supporters are uninformed. Most people that support protest candidates are which is why Trump took the White House despite lying repeatedly about everything.

Sure Dezzy
some are not bothered,

Same with some Stupid Women Voters USA
who said Hilary MUST WIN
as she was a WOMEN?

arista 11-12-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry Corbynmas (Post 9093653)
We don't have a left wing media.

we do
the BBC - proven even on Newswatch (a BBC Production)

Kizzy 11-12-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 9093660)
we do
the BBC - proven even on Newswatch (a BBC Production)

Which media outlet was found to be left leaning?

Withano 11-12-2016 06:36 PM

I love **** like this. And I thought she was great too.

Jamie89 11-12-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 9093651)
Jamie
polls prove feck All.

hence our brexit
and US Trump win

I know there have been examples of polls being wrong recently, but PPP are pretty reliable according to wikipedia and have one of the best track records amongst pollsters (they also apparently lean more to Republican recently as well so I'm not sure the 'exclusive to left wing media' thing is entirely relevant in this particular case). But regardless of all that anyway it doesn't need to act as 'proof' of anything, at the very least it's an interesting indication of the role that misinformation played, and the results of the poll are too extreme in showing that to simply be brushed aside as nonsense (it's not as if only small differences were noted that could be explained away by bias - the margins were too big for that in my opinion) especially if your reason for ignoring it is because you're typically right wing or left wing and only want to acknowledge what benefits your own political agenda, it's that kind of thinking that leads to what's been evidenced in this poll imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Withano (Post 9093673)
I love **** like this. And I thought she was great too.

I liked her too but I did think she could have milked it a bit less :laugh: only because I think it would be good for Trump supporters to view it (and do so without getting their backs up)... so if she'd been more impartial that'd be a bit more likely I think. But yeah, can't help but like her anyway and she knows her audience I suppose :laugh:

Withano 11-12-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleighmie (Post 9093774)
I liked her too but I did think she could have milked it a bit less :laugh: only because I think it would be good for Trump supporters to view it (and do so without getting their backs up)... so if she'd been more impartial that'd be a bit more likely I think. But yeah, can't help but like her anyway and she knows her audience I suppose :laugh:

Oh definitely! I just liked her character and energy, but she was very unapologetic in her conviction haha.

Alf 11-12-2016 07:40 PM

She works for a corporation, she will say whatever she's told and paid to say, which will be what's in the best interest of her company.

You don't get news on television, you get that company's opinion.

Brillopad 11-12-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

They do indeed.

Jamie89 11-12-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 9093918)
She works for a corporation, she will say whatever she's told and paid to say, which will be what's in the best interest of her company.

You get their opinion on the poll, and maybe it's presented in a biased way, but then you also get the poll itself and the information within it. What were your thoughts on that?

Alf 11-12-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleighmie (Post 9094033)
You get their opinion on the poll, and maybe it's presented in a biased way, but then you also get the poll itself and the information within it. What were your thoughts on that?

You can get any poll to favour your agenda, just poll the right people.

And after Brexit and Trump, why should anyone believe any poll that any news corporation give them?

Kizzy 11-12-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 9093918)

Isn't our media owned by a corporation? News corp to be exact.

Jamie89 11-12-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 9094212)
You can get any poll to favour your agenda, just poll the right people.

And after Brexit and Trump, why should anyone believe any poll that any news corporation give them?

You can but if you have a credible source which this one is it's more likely to be somewhat accurate. Especially given the margins in this one it does seem to have weight for the argument that misinformation played a role in the election - do you not think there's a case for that having seen the poll/video? (and you're not really going to know about that unless you poll people so how else would we find something like that out in the first place?)

empire 11-12-2016 08:57 PM

people voted for trump and hillary for many reason's, and they did not just vote for one policy, it was for many policies, people think that voters who picked trump are nothing but uneducated poor racists, are completely arrogant bad losers who think being self-righteous and well educated can give them a self entitlement to win elections,

Alf 11-12-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleighmie (Post 9094317)
You can but if you have a credible source which this one is it's more likely to be somewhat accurate. Especially given the margins in this one it does seem to have weight for the argument that misinformation played a role in the election - do you not think there's a case for that having seen the poll/video? (and you're not really going to know about that unless you poll people so how else would we find something like that out in the first place?)

What's her aim with this report?

It looks to me like she's saying Trump supporters are all wrong and are not to be trusted to think for themselves and should listen to us and do as we say

Well fair enough, I'll listen, but I'll also listen to what the other side say's, and I'll do it with an open mind, not some narrative that they're some bigoted monster which my poor little feelings can't handle. I'll judge for myself whether they are or not, I'll decide what I believe to be fake or not.

According to another poll Americans have just 6% trust in the mainstream media, well that speaks volumes.

Alf 11-12-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry Corbynmas (Post 9094291)
Isn't our media owned by a corporation? News corp to be exact.

Are you asking me or telling me? I can't work it out with that post.

Brillopad 11-12-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 9094608)

It looks to me like she's saying Trump supporters are all wrong and are not to be trusted to think for themselves and should listen to us and do as we say

Well fair enough, I'll listen, but I'll also listen to what the other side say's, and I'll do it with an open mind, not some narrative that they're some bigoted monster which my poor little feelings can't handle. I'll judge for myself whether they are or not, I'll decide what I believe to be fake or not.

According to another poll Americans have just 6% trust in the mainstream media, well that speaks volumes.

Well said! Thoughts mirrored by many.

Jamie89 11-12-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

It's not really about her though or the way she presents it (even though she doesn't actually say any of that), it's more the poll itself I'm interested in to see what people think.

Mystic Mock 14-12-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Well the thing is Dezzy is I'm still wondering how the wall around Mexico is going? Trump hasn't replied back.:joker:

Mystic Mock 14-12-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Oh there's definitely bias in this report as the MSNBC are very left wing.

However I honestly don't think that the people that voted for Trump are gonna get what they was told by him as it's just unrealistic some of the stuff that he was saying.

Alf 14-12-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mock (Post 9097908)
Oh there's definitely bias in this report as the MSNBC are very left wing.

However I honestly don't think that the people that voted for Trump are gonna get what they was told by him as it's just unrealistic some of the stuff that he was saying.

I don't think many deep down expected for him to deliver everything he said (when has any politician ever delivered?). It was more a protest vote against the global establishment and a rejection of political correctness, he was the only one that wasn't gonna be politically correct like all the other sheep, so he became the person to follow.