ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ''The Handmaid's Tale'' - Ch4HD (Season 5) 9PM Sunday (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318626)

JTM45 30-04-2017 05:17 PM

''The Handmaid's Tale'' - Ch4HD (Season 5) 9PM Sunday

..............and if not you really should be!!!! It's AMAZING.

Surprisingly i couldn't find a thread on this show yet but i may have missed it.

If you aren't already watching it i highly, highly recommend ''The Handmaiden's Tale''.

It's shockingly disturbing but one of the most important cautionary tales of totalitarian extremism gone awry in a dystopian near future that has ever been made!!!

It's available on HULU in the US (the first three episodes for now followed by a new episode every Wednesday) and although it can't be watched 'officially' in the UK yet it's very easy to get hold of.

Among others it stars Alexis Bledel, Elisabeth Moss and Joseph Fiennes.

I just watched the first three episodes back to back and i cannot wait 'til they air a new episode on Wednesday. Gripping doesn't even come close to describing this stunning show!

Marsh. 01-05-2017 06:00 PM

Joseph Fiennes

A warning sign not to watch for me.

Shaun 01-05-2017 06:10 PM

I wanted to read it before I watched the series but I've only heard amazing reviews of it so I may have to skip the book...

JTM45 01-05-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9295521)
I wanted to read it before I watched the series but I've only heard amazing reviews of it so I may have to skip the book...

Yeah, i haven't read the book either and did intend to do so first but i had a free day and i acquired the three episodes that have aired so far so i couldn't resist.
The first episode left me a little bit shocked by the whole premise but i'm very glad i stuck with it. I can't help wishing that they'd released the whole thing in one go 'cause it's the kind of show that you just can't wait to see what happens next!

Deirdre 01-05-2017 09:11 PM

I've read the book and watched the movie, it was on my English course. Very good book so think I'll give this a go

Maxxie. 01-05-2017 09:16 PM

I'm doing it right now for my English A Level, I've only seen ep 1 and it's considerably different to the book although I agree it is an outstanding series thus far.

Daniel-X 01-05-2017 09:33 PM

I'm doing it for AS English and the book is fantastic. My teacher mentioned watching the series with the class as revision before our exam but idk what's happening yet.

Cherie 28-05-2017 09:22 PM

Started on C4 tonight :love:

storybrooke 01-06-2017 11:00 PM

Recorded the first episode last week need to watch it judging from the good reviews

Firewire 07-06-2017 07:52 PM

It's amazing so far. I'm watching at UK pace so only seen the first two.

y.winter 17-06-2017 08:17 AM

Finished the last three episodes. Great finale and I'm really looking forward to the second series. It has grown on me quickly with every episode. Slow paced, sometimes requires a bit of patient, but considering this is the nature of the plot - it has been brilliantly claustrophobic and captivating.
A story like no other.

JTM45 18-06-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.winter (Post 9366514)
A story like no other.

It's been absolutely phenomenal hasn't it!!! Possibly the best new show this year so far.

I loved the music they incorporated into the themes of the show too.

The second season is going beyond the original book's storyline apparently(with the blessing of the book's author Margaret Atwood) to look at different regions of Gilead.

I didn't have too high expectations from the show considering it was produced by Hulu by it ended up surpassing any expectations i had by a long, long way!
I'll be amazed if it doesn't win quite a few awards when they come around.

y.winter 18-06-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTM45 (Post 9368653)
The second season is going beyond the original book's storyline apparently

Do you know if this is how the book ended? Because it does feel like there's more to be told.

JTM45 18-06-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.winter (Post 9368655)
Do you know if this is how the book ended? Because it does feel like there's more to be told.

It pretty much ends the same way but Nick tells Offred a liitle bit more about the guys with the van.

There's also what's called a 'Metafictional Epilogue' at the end of the book which is writen like a study, supposedly of a set of tape-recordings detailing the events of the 'Gilead Period' that were discovered many years later (i think in 2195 or thereabout).

It'll be interesting to see where exactly they go with Season 2. I can't wait!

Headie 01-09-2017 11:44 AM

I've only just found out about this, watched the trailer and it looked really interesting, I'm going to start it after I finish Orphan Black

Niamh. 01-09-2017 11:47 AM

This was really good :love:

_baileys_ 01-09-2017 06:30 PM

I loved this series every week was torture waiting for next episode :D This is the kind of series you could binge on.. watch 1 episode loose the next 10 hours or more watching all episodes as you must find out what happens lol

Toy Soldier 03-09-2017 02:28 PM

We really enjoyed this, also worth noting that the cinematography is excellent which was really unexpected.

It was finished before we started watching which meant we got all 10 eps at once... I do sort of think this is a show that works much better in "Netflix format", i.e. a full season release at a time rather than a week-to-week format. It's an intense show that keeps a fairly level pace throughout, it doesn't have many peaks and troughs, I can imagine it being a bit frustrating as a weekly show. We watched 1 or 2 episodes an evening and finished it in under a week. Will likewise probably wait until S2 is finished before starting.

Cherie 03-09-2017 03:06 PM

I liked watching it weekly, it's very true to the book, not sure how S2 will pan out as the book pretty much finishes where the series finished

Headie 26-04-2018 06:34 AM

I just found out Season 2 premiered last night. Can't wait to watch!

Niamh. 26-04-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 9971923)

Oh excellent, thanks Hayden I'd forgotten about it

hijaxers 26-04-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 9971923)

Well i hope its starting on Ch4 soon we've been waiting for this.

Headie 26-04-2018 07:27 PM

I forgot how much I hate Aunt Lydia :laugh:

Headie 27-04-2018 03:42 PM

First two episodes were great, it's gonna be another great season :clap1:

Headie 16-05-2018 11:35 PM

This season has been really depressing so far, not sure if I'll be able to last much longer if it's gonna continue this way into Season 3. There's not one bit of optimism/hope for viewers to latch on to, which isn't satisfying to watch at all. Contrast that to the first few episodes where June was making her escape, these past few episodes have been dreadful. I hope something positive happens soon or I might have to tap out.