ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   British diplomat Rebecca Dykes found 'strangled' in Lebanon (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332141)

arista 17-12-2017 05:16 PM

British diplomat Rebecca Dykes found 'strangled' in Lebanon

Sad news for her Family.

Was reported on Ch4HDnews and SkyNewsHD

[According to Ms Dykes' LinkedIn profile, she had been
working as a programme and policy manager for the
Department for International Development (DfID) on the UK government's Conflict,
Stability and Security Fund programme in Lebanon.]

[A forensic official in the country has told the Associated Press news agency
that Rebecca Dykes, who worked at the embassy in the capital Beirut,
was strangled with a rope.
The unnamed official added that authorities are investigating the
exact cause of her death and whether she was sexually assaulted.]

https://e3.365dm.com/17/12/750x563/s...20171217171428

https://news.sky.com/story/death-of-...gated-11175405

Oliver_W 17-12-2017 05:35 PM

Why do people even bother trying to help some places?

Kizzy 17-12-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hogfather (Post 9742663)

What makes you think she was killed due to her role as a diplomat?

There are murderers in every country, get some perspective.

smudgie 17-12-2017 06:02 PM

Poor lass.
R.I.P.

DemolitionRed 17-12-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hogfather (Post 9742663)

Lebanon didn't kill her. A murderer in Lebanon killed her and he was most likely an ISIS sympathizer.

As for, why do we bother trying to help some places... are you even aware that we, Great Britain train Lebanese soldiers to fight ISIS. We don't do this because we want to protect the Lebanese people, we do it because its in Britains interest to protect an area of the globe that borders along the Suez Canal.
Thanks to our support, Lebanon has ousted many hundreds of ISIS rebels.

Smithy 17-12-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 9743136)
Lebanon didn't kill her. A murderer in Lebanon killed her and he was most likely an ISIS sympathizer.

As for, why do we bother trying to help some places... are you even aware that we, Great Britain train Lebanese soldiers to fight ISIS. We don't do this because we want to protect the Lebanese people, we do it because its in Britains interest to protect an area of the globe that borders along the Suez Canal.

:clap1::clap1:

Brother Leon 17-12-2017 09:49 PM

Sad news. R.I.P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 9743136)

True, but That would be down to Hezbollah if we are being truly honest :laugh:. Besides, training their soldiers doesn't mean much when we supported and funded the demolition of ththe I country at the hands of Israel back in 2006.

Cherie 18-12-2017 07:43 AM

It seems she may have been murdered by the taxi driver who took her home from a party she was attending, poor girl

Nicky91 18-12-2017 07:47 AM

RIP and can someone please take down ISIS for good

DemolitionRed 18-12-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Leon (Post 9743147)
Sad news. R.I.P.

True, but That would be down to Hezbollah if we are being truly honest :laugh:. Besides, training their soldiers doesn't mean much when we supported and funded the demolition of ththe I country at the hands of Israel back in 2006.

You are correct, I'm in complete agreement and the entire thing honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

My point was to Oliver who seems to think we are there, risking our lives to protect the people of Lebanon.

Livia 18-12-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemolitionRed (Post 9743378)
You are correct, I'm in complete agreement and the entire thing honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

My point was to Oliver who seems to think we are there, risking our lives to protect the people of Lebanon.

This young women was in Lebanon, without doubt one of the most dangerous places in the world, working as programme and policy manager for the Department for International Development, helping to rebuild the country. So while I agree she wasn't "protecting" the people of Lebanon, she was there for their benefit. So I don't get this whole undercurrent of, she deserved it because we bombed them. People are always quick to bring up how we bombed them and glacially slow to mention how much money and knowhow we've handed over.

Niamh. 18-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9743431)
This young women was in Lebanon, without doubt one of the most dangerous places in the world, working as programme and policy manager for the Department for International Development, helping to rebuild the country. So while I agree she wasn't "protecting" the people of Lebanon, she was there for their benefit. So I don't get this whole undercurrent of, she deserved it because we bombed them. People are always quick to bring up how we bombed them and glacially slow to mention how much money and knowhow we've handed over.

I don't think anyone is implying that Livia

Livia 18-12-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristmasNeeve (Post 9743441)
I don't think anyone is implying that Livia

I get that vibe, Niamh. This thread is about a young woman who was sexually and assaulted in a country where she was working - at risk to herself - for the good of Lebanon. But in more than one post people have referenced how we were responsible for the destruction of Lebanon, like that is somehow a reason for this young woman's death.

DemolitionRed 18-12-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9743431)

What?

Niamh. 18-12-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 9743443)
I get that vibe, Niamh. This thread is about a young woman who was sexually and assaulted in a country where she was working - at risk to herself - for the good of Lebanon. But in more than one post people have referenced how we were responsible for the destruction of Lebanon, like that is somehow a reason for this young woman's death.

tbf the very first post in the this thread was "why do people even bother trying to help in these countries" and everyone else then responded to that rather than the OP, the subject was changed from a young woman being assaulted and murdered to a more political topic which it shouldn't have been imo

RIP to the poor woman, I hope they get who ever did it :(

DemolitionRed 18-12-2017 10:18 AM

As it turns out, she was murdered by a taxi driver with no political motive.
She was just a young woman doing a difficult job in a country rife with corruption.

All of my thoughts are with her and her loved ones.

Niamh. 18-12-2017 03:20 PM

Looks like an Uber Driver has confessed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ykes-in-beirut

LeatherTrumpet 18-12-2017 03:25 PM

sounds like she put herself in a dangerous position sadly

Eddie. 18-12-2017 03:28 PM

she wanted to be a diplomat, but that's sad and depressing to hear...

Niamh. 18-12-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 (Post 9743712)
sounds like she put herself in a dangerous position sadly

By getting an Uber home? Yeah lets shift some blame onto the victim :/

bitontheslide 18-12-2017 03:49 PM

Not wishing to be cold or anything, but young females get murdered every day in every city around the world. What makes this particular incident so special?

LeatherTrumpet 18-12-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristmasNeeve (Post 9743733)
By getting an Uber home? Yeah lets shift some blame onto the victim :/

getting a random bloke in Lebanon to give a british woman a run home after she had been drinking at midnight or later?

sounds legit

:/

Tom4784 18-12-2017 04:00 PM

Yeah, she got a taxi so she was obviously asking to be killed.

:rolleyes:

Niamh. 18-12-2017 04:02 PM

atleast if you get an uber, the uber app has a record of which driver picked you up at what time from where etc, you don't get that with regular cabs

LeatherTrumpet 18-12-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 9743761)
Yeah, she got a taxi so she was obviously asking to be killed.

:rolleyes:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

"There have been incidents of armed robberies and physical attacks against passengers in shared taxis (known locally as service taxis) with passengers being attacked by either the driver or other passengers. Don’t use shared taxis or taxis hailed on the street. Only use taxis from recognised companies. Hotels can advise on firms with cars that are recognised as being safe and well maintained. "

"A senior Lebanese security source told the BBC the arrested man was 35 and has served several prison sentences"

so it sounds very much like she did not take a recommended and known taxi but just hailed a random (or possible that she was abducted).

Always go home with in 2s in places like that or in general if you are a vulnerable girl and its late. Stay safe and dont allow danger to find you.