ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What 'Friends' spinoff would you have done? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334299)

karl100589 22-01-2018 07:17 PM

What 'Friends' spinoff would you have done?

After Friends went off the air in 2004, there was a probably thirst from fans who still wanted to have a connection to the show, and after the success of shows like Frasier, a spinoff series focusing on one of the characters would have been inevitable. Unfortunately, Matt Le Blanc's Joey failed on many levels; devoid of humour, charm and a lead character struggling to carry an unlikely subcast.

Joey would end up getting axed after two years, going down as one of the biggest flops in TV history, and destroying the career of Drea De Matteo and, for a short while, Le Blanc himself.

The question I have is, if you had free-reign to create a Friends spinoff, what would you have chosen? Follow Monica and Chandler to the suburbs to start their new family? Phoebe and Mike creating a new life for themselves? What does Gunther do after his biggest customers leave?

I've put forward a couple of suggestions, but creativity is the greatest gift.

GiRTh 22-01-2018 07:18 PM

Out of all the ideas, Monica and Chandler followed the more standard sitcom format

Firewire 22-01-2018 07:19 PM

Yeah Monica and Chandler a few years later with their toddler children would've been ideal

Amy Jade 22-01-2018 07:20 PM

The Smelly Cat Chronicles

Cal. 22-01-2018 07:21 PM

The adventures of Janice

Shaun 22-01-2018 07:22 PM

Give me Carol and Lesbian #2 raising Ben to be a serial killer, or nothing at all

Cal. 22-01-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9812664)
Give me Carol and Lesbian #2 raising Ben to be a serial killer, or nothing at all

Not this disrespect at shady cow Susan

Marsh. 22-01-2018 07:23 PM

Yeah, Chandler and Monica seem like the quintessential sitcom set up over the others.

Ross and Rachel - eh - I love Rachel but them two without the other 4 is too much neurotic whining tbh.

Firewire 22-01-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9812671)
Yeah, Chandler and Monica seem like the quintessential sitcom set up over the others.

Ross and Rachel - eh - I love Rachel but them two without the other 4 is too much neurotic whining tbh.

Rachel definitely left Ross soon after the finale

Cal. 22-01-2018 07:25 PM

I can't believe our Rachel's happy ending was getting stuck with Ross

Cal. 22-01-2018 07:26 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/57/46/55/5...e-clothing.jpg

Rachel's early outfits :love:

GoldHeart 22-01-2018 07:39 PM

The only one I was curious about was Monica & Chandler in the suburbs with their adopted kids :shrug: .

But I doubt any of the spin off ideas would work .

Ross & Rachel would be terrible :facepalm:.

Gunther was never an interesting character so his would be boring.

Phoebe and Mike as newlyweds would turn into cringy comedy similar to 2 broke girls where the jokes are lazy .

Janice in her own show would be like Fran Drescher from the nanny , times a thousand and would be more annoying and silly rather than funny .

And Joey was always one of the funniest cast members of friends but his spin off just wasn't good enough or that funny. And it felt forced .

Toy Soldier 22-01-2018 07:55 PM

Joey was the obvious / only choice but it was badly misjudged... if it had been handled more competently it could have been fine :shrug:. Although I'd say the first season, at least, would have needed a significant number of guest appearances from other Friends cast members (e.g. Ross and Rachel visit Joey, Joey visits Monica and Chandler and outstays his welcome, Joey on some random trip to a theme park with Phoebe... etc)

I could see a Monica and Chandler spin off NOW with like teenage kids... but that's not really possible... as Matthew Perry looks homeless and Courtney Cox had too many facelifts and looks ****ing terrifying.

Of all of them, only Matt LeBlanc and Jennifer Aniston have aged well. David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow have aged "normally" and yeah... the other two... :umm2:.

Lostie! 22-01-2018 07:57 PM

I'd watch the **** out of a Janice spin off :love:

Marsh. 22-01-2018 08:01 PM

I'd give anything to see Lisa Kudrow front her own show again.

GiRTh 22-01-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 9812760)
Joey was the obvious / only choice but it was badly misjudged... if it had been handled more competently it could have been fine :shrug:. Although I'd say the first season, at least, would have needed a significant number of guest appearances from other Friends cast members (e.g. Ross and Rachel visit Joey, Joey visits Monica and Chandler and outstays his welcome, Joey on some random trip to a theme park with Phoebe... etc)

I could see a Monica and Chandler spin off NOW with like teenage kids... but that's not really possible... as Matthew Perry looks homeless and Courtney Cox had too many facelifts and looks ****ing terrifying.

Of all of them, only Matt LeBlanc and Jennifer Aniston have aged well. David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow have aged "normally" and yeah... the other two... :umm2:.

I actually liked Joey. The first season wasnt terrible but for me the guest stars the second season killed it. Along with the actor who played Joeys roommate - cant remember his name - who talked out the side of his mouth. Once you noticed it you couldn't watch anymore

Of all the ideas I think Monica and Chandler had the longest shelf life. They'd inevitably have a neighbour or friend who was much funnier than them a la Kramer/jack and Karen - etc who would become the real stars of the show.

Marsh. 22-01-2018 08:14 PM

I think it's because the show always really centred on Monica's domestic situation. They always congregated around her and the action took place in her home.

It shifting to Joey or any of the others doesn't really work. Whereas married Chandler and Monica living together and being the centre of the show isn't too much of a shift from the main show itself.

Especially if the other 4 visited as guest stars.

Marsh. 22-01-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiRTh (Post 9812852)
I actually liked Joey. The first season wasnt terrible but for me the guest stars the second season killed it. Along with the actor who played Joeys roommate - cant remember his name - who talked out the side of his mouth. Once you noticed it you couldn't watch anymore

Of all the ideas I think Monica and Chandler had the longest shelf life. They'd inevitably have a neighbour or friend who was much funnier than them a la Kramer/jack and Karen - etc who would become the real stars of the show.

Janice was going to move in during season 10. :omgno:

GiRTh 22-01-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9812866)
Janice was going to move in during season 10. :omgno:

:laugh:

I'd watch that.

montblanc 22-01-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 9812676)
I can't believe our Rachel's happy ending was getting stuck with Ross

ugh i know

Ant. 22-01-2018 09:24 PM

I think I'd rather have these ideas in a series of shorts/3 episode stories?? If not I think Janice's spinoff would be a scream and a lot of her story happened off screen so seeing more of her would've been great! Although I don't know how they'd make it, well, enjoyable

Ant. 22-01-2018 09:25 PM

A one episode special of Ross and Rachel where Rachel enters a polyamourous relationship with Carol and Susan and all three elope to Paris and Rachel has a high paying job she spent ten years working towards with 2 kids and 2 wives :love:

Ant. 22-01-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firewire (Post 9812675)
Rachel definitely left Ross soon after the finale

I dunno if they intended this but Joey said all his friends got married during his spinoff which wasn't set too long after Friends finished I believe?

SO by that logic Ross and Rachel married because I don't know who else Rachel would marry in such a short space of time. But I like to imagine divorce was filed shortly after <3

Withano 22-01-2018 09:30 PM

Even in hindsight, Joey makes the most sense, and I didnt even like the show very much.

mizzy25 22-01-2018 09:32 PM

Gunther, then they could all visit his new coffee shop