ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soaps (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Kate Oates to leave Corrie Producer role, Emmerdale's Iain McLeod to take over (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337651)

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 10:46 PM

Kate Oates to leave Corrie Producer role, Emmerdale's Iain McLeod to take over

Quote:

CORRIE boss Kate Oates has quit the soap after growing pressure over controversial storylines and viewers’ complaints.

In January, we told how the show’s cast and crew were furious over a lack of awards and the dark direction it had gone in.

Some had labelled her a “dead woman walking” and long-serving stars were said to be unhappy about newer cast members being handed gritty storylines.

Kate, 38, confirmed to The Sun she had resigned after two years at the show’s helm, just four months after ITV tried to deny the initial story.

During her tenure, big-name stars Catherine Tyldesley, Shayne Ward and Debbie Rush have all quit.

Storylines featuring villain Pat Phelan, played by Connor McIntyre, 57, have also upset loyal fans, including Sir Michael Parkinson, 83.

A source said: “It was always a matter of when, not if, with Kate going, and now it’s been confirmed she’s leaving.

“There’s a feeling of jumping before she was pushed. But she is staying within the ITV family.

“The storylines she worked on, while rating successes, were very divisive among viewers and the cast and crew. Everyone is looking forward to seeing what the future on the soap looks like now.”

Kate is now moving to work on ITV cop series Bancroft, starring Sarah Parish, 49.

She said: “I’ll be forever grateful for this opportunity and all it has given me, but I’m also excited to try something new.”

She will be replaced by current Emmerdale show chief Iain MacLeod, who has led the show to a number of awards including a TV BAFTA and back-to-back National Television Award wins.

Iain will start his new role on Corrie, now Britain’s most popular soap, in June.

John Whiston, ITV Studios’ Creative Director, praised Kate’s “brilliant editorial touch” in dealing with the Bethany Platt grooming storyline, and David Platt’s rape.

The Sun
Wish ITV would stop giving their main soap the Emmerdale producers, who have likely used a lot of story ideas on Emmerdale already.

It's a very quick changeover this time, since Iain's first episodes will likely air July/August.

Ross. 23-04-2018 10:50 PM

I've really liked McLeod's work on Emmerdale so it's a shame he's going, hopefully the next producer continues the good work

Kate's vision was just too dark for a show like Corrie and that's ultimately been her downfall

Denver 23-04-2018 10:51 PM

I'd have her on EE but they storylines will just be rehashes of what she already done

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 10:53 PM

As much as I've liked Kate's storylines, the darkness in the show has felt unrelenting at times

Rob! 23-04-2018 11:04 PM

I’m actually sad about this. I’ve really enjoyed Corrie under Oates.

Ross. 23-04-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9969501)
I’m actually sad about this. I’ve really enjoyed Corrie under Oates.

You're the only one who has darling

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 11:09 PM

I've also mostly liked Oates work too, I have felt she pushes on the dark side of the soap a little to hard like the upcoming story twist where

Spoiler:

David is jailed

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:10 PM

How strange.

Didn't she literally just say on This Morning that she has at least 12 months left on Corrie? :think:

BBC stole ha?

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9969510)
How strange.

Didn't she literally just say on This Morning that she has at least 12 months left on Corrie? :think:

BBC stole ha?

Yep, it was expected she'd leave next year, now she's suddenly leaving in June. She is going to become producer on another ITV Drama though

Rob! 23-04-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross. (Post 9969503)
You're the only one who has darling

Corrie has been consolidating to near 9m since Kate took over next to Eastenders' 6m so clearly not darling.

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:11 PM

Not Corrie being lumbered with Emmerdale's cast-offs again? :skull:

Rob! 23-04-2018 11:12 PM

I'm sure the producer who threw acid in Ross Barton's face is going to be much more lighthearted than Kate Oates.

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:13 PM

So Iain took some of Kate's work and beat people over the head with it (Robron, Ross) so I expect when he takes over he'll push David, Bethany and Carla/Peter even more.

Rob! 23-04-2018 11:15 PM

I'm worried for our Moira :worry:

Rob! 23-04-2018 11:15 PM

Mind you, a bit of mad axing could do Corrie the world of good.

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 11:15 PM

I hope Corrie gets a fresh producer in 2020 for the anniversary eps

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9969522)
Mind you, a bit of mad axing could do Corrie the world of good.

Fiz, Michelle, Sean, Tyrone, Maria all KILLED please.

Kate Oates to do a mass killing spree as one final act of darkness before she leaves?

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9969514)
I'm sure the producer who threw acid in Ross Barton's face is going to be much more lighthearted than Kate Oates.

She goes a bit overboard like with Billy, falling off a cliff wasnt enough, he also had to get addicted to painkillers and heroin before he got better, or David, he wasnt just raped, he also lost control in a boxing match and
Spoiler:

ends up in prison

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:22 PM

Just read in the DS article that she's already gone. :skull:

Definitely a SOC-type mess here.

Firewire 23-04-2018 11:22 PM

She isn't welcome in Walford!

LukeB 23-04-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9969533)
Fiz, Michelle, Sean, Tyrone, Maria all KILLED please.

Kate Oates to do a mass killing spree as one final act of darkness before she leaves?

Revenge because no one likes her?

Marsh. 23-04-2018 11:24 PM

I might give Bancroft a go.

I imagine a producer like Kate Oates would probably work better in a serialised drama, as her type of vision can get muddled on a soap.

Like the production values of an 8 part drama would've probably made the Phelan plot brilliant and engrossing, but on Corrie it veered from laughable to ridiculous.

Scarlett. 23-04-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 9969538)
Just read in the DS article that she's already gone. :skull:

Definitely a SOC-type mess here.

It's so odd, Blackburn drove the show into the ground, yet he didnt get kicked off

Ross. 23-04-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9969512)
Corrie has been consolidating to near 9m since Kate took over next to Eastenders' 6m so clearly not darling.

Quality over quantity, darling!

There has clearly been some backstage drama, along with all the criticism of the show from viewers and the icons

I'm Helen Worth threatening to quit getting Kate the sack

Ross. 23-04-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob! (Post 9969514)

But no one is saying Corrie can't have those stories? She just took it to extreme levels that just don't work with a show like Corrie, there's no heart