ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Ryanair cancels flights as "pilots strike" (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343373)

arista 13-07-2018 06:32 PM

Ryanair cancels flights as "pilots strike"

[Low-cost airline Ryanair has cancelled 30 flights on Thursday after
talks with pilots ended without an agreement.
Scheduled flights between Ireland and the UK will face the brunt
of the action, as Ryanair faces its second strike since recognising unions for the first time in December.]

not good

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-c...trike-11433933

Jason. 13-07-2018 07:33 PM

Was LukeB affected?

LukeB 13-07-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 10086842)
Was LukeB affected?

ew i wouldn't fly with Ryanair

arista 20-07-2018 09:15 AM

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-c...ilots-11443005

The Strike hit Gatwick on the news today
24 flights today stopped

Niamh. 20-07-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 10086842)
Was LukeB affected?

Is he in Ireland? I think it's only effecting flights between the UK and Ireland right now. I'm going to be flying to Italy with them in 4 weeks so hopefully they will just stick to the Ireland/UK routes :worry:

Nicky91 20-07-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10086856)

me neither, KLM for me most of the times i went to the states, except once when we had Northwest Airlines

and we had Transavia for our holiday to Corfu, Greece

Niamh. 20-07-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10086856)

Oh didn't see your answer. I avoid flying with Ryanair as much as possible but we don't have as much choice here especially if I want to fly direct from Cork, if its any way possible and not waaaay more expensive I use aerlingus

Nicky91 20-07-2018 09:24 AM

i would say avoid an airline company called Small Planet Airlines, i've seen that once on ''the holiday man'' a dutch show where people complain about vacations which went all disastrously wrong, and that airline didn't want to fly towards their holiday destination cause they made all sorts of silly excuses

and when people tried calling the airline, they didn't pick up their Phone

LukeB 20-07-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098016)
Oh didn't see your answer. I avoid flying with Ryanair as much as possible but we don't have as much choice here especially if I want to fly direct from Cork, if its any way possible and not waaaay more expensive I use aerlingus

My mum says you don’t have much room so you feel cramped and ofc they keep cancelling flights so i would never fly with them :worry:

I hope for the best for you and nothing happens to your holiday. I did fly with Monarch but they went bust so i fly with jet2 which is a nice airline, don’t you have it?

Vanessa 20-07-2018 09:43 AM

Hopefully it will be fine next month, when I'm flying.

arista 20-07-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 10098023)
Hopefully it will be fine next month, when I'm flying.

Yes I would Expect the Clever CEO
to sort out a deal fast.

As it Ryan Air in bad news every day now
as he the CEO has failed
to adjust their pay and contitiobns

Niamh. 20-07-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeB (Post 10098022)
My mum says you don’t have much room so you feel cramped and ofc they keep cancelling flights so i would never fly with them :worry:

I hope for the best for you and nothing happens to your holiday. I did fly with Monarch but they went bust so i fly with jet2 which is a nice airline, don’t you have it?

Ryanair are a bit cramped and uncomfortable but they're usually short flights, we would have more choice if we flew from Dublin but that's a pain in the arse, it's a 2.5/3hour drive away, Cork is a pretty small airport so most times if we want to fly from Cork we have a choice between Aerlingus and Ryanair, aerlingus is far better so I'll go with them if at all possible. I think Jet2 do fly from Cork but only to Newcastle :laugh:

arista 20-07-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098030)
Ryanair are a bit cramped and uncomfortable but they're usually short flights, we would have more choice if we flew from Dublin but that's a pain in the arse, it's a 2.5/3hour drive away, Cork is a pretty small airport so most times if we want to fly from Cork we have a choice between Aerlingus and Ryanair, aerlingus is far better so I'll go with them if at all possible. I think Jet2 do fly from Cork but only to Newcastle :laugh:

Yes but is down to Costs of
Ryanair
who deals are cheaper.

Niamh. 20-07-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10098038)
Yes but is down to Costs of
Ryanair
who deals are cheaper.

Aerlingus are actually pretty good value as well, there's not loads in it price wise, so I would actually book with them even if they were a little bit more expensive, the problem is times and destinations so sometimes for that reason I'll have to go with Ryanair

Cherie 20-07-2018 10:26 AM

Don't really get the snobbiness over Ryanair, I will always use whoever is cheapest if flying just for a few hours, only every been let down by them once over the years

Niamh. 20-07-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10098050)
Don't really get the snobbiness over Ryanair, I will always use whoever is cheapest if flying just for a few hours, only every been let down by them once over the years

It isn't snobbiness, that's a bit insulting. I was always a big fan of them tbh until two things recently, 1. them deciding if you don't pay for your seat they will split you and whoever you're travelling with up all around the plane (which is a big reason why Aerlingus doesn't work out that much more expensive these days aswell if you choose to pay ryanair) that's including people travelling with young children and 2. The issues the staff have and why they're striking are very genuine, they sound like s**t employers and I'll try not to support them as much as possible.

arista 20-07-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098046)
Aerlingus are actually pretty good value as well, there's not loads in it price wise, so I would actually book with them even if they were a little bit more expensive, the problem is times and destinations so sometimes for that reason I'll have to go with Ryanair

You need post Price examples, if you have the time,
if its Just £10
fine?

Niamh. 20-07-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10098057)
You need post Price examples
if its Just £10
fine?

Well like I said to Cherie there, it's not just how much the flights cost but if you want to actually sit next to the person/people you're travelling with you have to pay for that on top of the flight aswell but an example, just did a flight to Barcelona from Cork in September return :

Aerlingus €141.98
Ryanair €117.48

so €24.50 difference (£21.89) but you'll probably end up paying more with Ryanair if you want to sit next to whoever you're travelling with anyway, they charge an average of €14 eachway for moving seats

Cherie 20-07-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098053)
It isn't snobbiness, that's a bit insulting. I was always a big fan of them tbh until two things recently, 1. them deciding if you don't pay for your seat they will split you and whoever you're travelling with up all around the plan (which is a big reason why Aerlingus doesn't work out that much more expensive these days aswell if you choose to pay ryanair) that's including people travelling with young children and 2. The issues the staff have and why they're striking are very genuine, they sound like s**t employers and I'll try not to support them as much as possible.

I agree the changes are crap, but that said I don't care if I sit alone for two hours obviously it would be different if I had kids, so I am just going on my situation as it stands now, lots of companies treat their employees like crap...Amazon, Primark etc … so they are not alone in that respect, there is a lot of snobbiness about flying RA, the number of times I have heard people wont fly with them because they are Irish...sorry but it is true.

Niamh. 20-07-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10098097)
I agree the changes are crap, but that said I don't care if I sit alone for two hours obviously it would be different if I had kids, so I am just going on my situation as it stands now, lots of companies treat their employees like crap...Amazon, Primark etc … so they are not alone in that respect, there is a lot of snobbiness about flying RA, the number of times I have heard people wont fly with them because they are Irish...sorry but it is true.

:o Really? Well I guess I live in Ireland so I'm not really going to hear people say that much :laugh: plus Aerlingus are also Irish and I love flying with them. Look I'm not an idiot either, If I need to get somewhere and Aerlingus are charging way more or the times don't suit or whatever then I'll fly with Ryanair but if I have a choice and Aerlingus are a little more expensive I'll choose them because the flights are more comfortable and you get to sit with who you're travelling with, I also find the staff with aerlingus much nicer and more accommodating (but that's probably understandable).

I mean the seat thing isn't a huge issue for me because my youngest is 14 so he's grand to sit on his own anyway but still it's nicer sitting with the people you're going away with and it's annoying that after paying for a seat they will do their best to try and squeeze more out of you for a seat again.

Cherie 20-07-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098101)
:o Really? Well I guess I live in Ireland so I'm not really going to hear people say that much :laugh: plus Aerlingus are also Irish and I love flying with them. Look I'm not an idiot either, If I need to get somewhere and Aerlingus are charging way more or the times don't suit or whatever then I'll fly with Ryanair but if I have a choice and Aerlingus are a little more expensive I'll choose them because the flights are more comfortable and you get to sit with who you're travelling with, I also find the staff with aerlingus much nicer and more accommodating (but that's probably understandable).

I mean the seat thing isn't a huge issue for me because my youngest is 14 so he's grand to sit on his own anyway but still it's nicer sitting with the people you're going away with and it's annoying that after paying for a seat they will do their best to try and squeeze more out of you for a seat again.

Yes I have heard that loads of time, it is now a hate crime to say this, I heard it on the Radio yesterday you can't call someone an Irish twat :hee:

Niamh. 20-07-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10098110)
Yes I have heard that loads of time, it is now a hate crime to say this, I heard it on the Radio yesterday you can't call someone an Irish twat :hee:

Too right :nono:

Cherie 20-07-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098114)
Too right :nono:

You can still call someone a Scottish twat though apparently :laugh:

arista 20-07-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10098062)
Well like I said to Cherie there, it's not just how much the flights cost but if you want to actually sit next to the person/people you're travelling with you have to pay for that on top of the flight aswell but an example, just did a flight to Barcelona from Cork in September return :

Aerlingus €141.98
Ryanair €117.48

so €24.50 difference (£21.89) but you'll probably end up paying more with Ryanair if you want to sit next to whoever you're travelling with anyway, they charge an average of €14 eachway for moving seats

Yes I can see its worth you paying some more.
Thanks for the Prices.

Niamh. 20-07-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10098116)
You can still call someone a Scottish twat though apparently :laugh:

That's understandable as well :hehe: