ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Millennial s are financially illiterate (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343442)

Brillopad 15-07-2018 03:36 PM

Millennial s are financially illiterate

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ital-documents

Interesting article. Can’t say I’m surprised by the results mentioned.

I always have a paper copy of important things like bank statements.

Underscore 15-07-2018 03:41 PM

I always keep paper copies but I can't say I ever look back on them, they just go into a ring binder.

Cal. 15-07-2018 03:42 PM

I handle my business bitch!

Brillopad 15-07-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underscore (Post 10089601)
I always keep paper copies but I can't say I ever look back on them, they just go into a ring binder.

It’s reassuring to know are there though if you need them. No problems with batteries or breakdowns.

Toy Soldier 15-07-2018 04:29 PM

Most people are financially illiterate...

arista 15-07-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal. (Post 10089604)
I handle my business bitch!

how nice

Toy Soldier 15-07-2018 04:34 PM

Also this;

"The other thing hurting young people is the housing market. When you go to rent a flat the landlord will ask for bills or bank statements and they have to be original copies"

Is utter nonsense. It was an issue ten years ago but these days everyone knows that most companies and banks don't send out paper bills, statements (and increasingly, even payslips) and printed copies are almost universally accepted.

The problem there isn't so much them "not being accepted", as how easy it is for people to manipulate and alter documents.

Ashley. 15-07-2018 04:39 PM

I keep all my important documents in a folder under separate tabs so everything is easily located. Takes me a while to flick through but much more efficient than if everything was kept in an unorganised, discarded pile.

Brillopad 15-07-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley. (Post 10089739)
I keep all my important documents in a folder under separate tabs so everything is easily located. Takes me a while to flick through but much more efficient than if everything was kept in an unorganised, discarded pile.

Paper copies can be kept in organised files as well. Why would you think they can’t.

Tom4784 15-07-2018 04:49 PM

It's just basically another 'MILLENIALS ARE TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING!' article that's basically become a meme at this point.

It's mostly bull**** as well, it's not a problem that's exclusive to the younger generations plus the points raised in the article seem like they are trying to force disconnected dots to connect.

Ashley. 15-07-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 10089750)
Paper copies can be kept in organised files as well. Why would you think they can’t.

I think you've misunderstood my post - because I just said I keep them all in an organised folder. I just separate them under different tabs so that I have an easier time accessing them.

Vicky. 15-07-2018 05:07 PM

Don't think I am classed as a millenial (tbh not even totally sure what one is) but I admit to being financially illiterate :laugh: I am ****ing terrible with anything budget related and that and have no paper copies of statements or anything, though tbf thats because banks encourage you to go 'paperless' these days. Mind even when I got paper ones, the kids would draw on them or they would get lost anyway so thats not really an excuse

Edit. Ah seems I am...born between 1980 and 1990. Nice to not be too old to have a ridiculous new label :D

Brillopad 15-07-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley. (Post 10089760)
I think you've misunderstood my post - because I just said I keep them all in an organised folder. I just separate them under different tabs so that I have an easier time accessing them.

I don’t think I have Ashley as you seem to be saying that paper copies would otherwise be kept in an ‘unorganised, discarded pile’. My point was that paper copies can also be kept in organised files.

Sorry Ashley - I did get it wrong. I thought you were talking of files/tabs on a PC.

Mystic Mock 15-07-2018 05:48 PM

Tbh people in general are financially illiterate.

It's shocking how much money people spend when they don't have enough money coming back in.

LeatherTrumpet 15-07-2018 05:53 PM

If my eldest is anything to go by then yes

I have just had to sort out her energy bill and account, she had no clue about meter readings and how energy is paid for. An absolute mess and cost me £258

:skull:

I blame her mother:

Brillopad 15-07-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10089882)
If my eldest is anything to go by then yes

I have just had to sort out her energy bill and account, she had no clue about meter readings and how energy is paid for. An absolute mess and cost me £258

:skull:

I blame her mother:

:joker:

Kizzy 15-07-2018 06:09 PM

Young people have more financial pressure than ever... (bore off if you don't think so I don't care)
It's very easy FOR ANYONE now to get in financial difficulties, it used to be hell trying to get loans..remember all the hoops? Now there are companies literally throwing money at you it's very very easy to be tempted by credit, buy now pay later deals, 0% finance.
Far from being financially illiterate you have to have a GCSE in economics to juggle all your incomings and outgoings!

smudgie 15-07-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10089909)
Young people have more financial pressure than ever... (bore off if you don't think so I don't care)
It's very easy FOR ANYONE now to get in financial difficulties, it used to be hell trying to get loans..remember all the hoops? Now there are companies literally throwing money at you it's very very easy to be tempted by credit, buy now pay later deals, 0% finance.
Far from being financially illiterate you have to have a GCSE in economics to juggle all your incomings and outgoings!

More or less what I think.
Different times now to when we were growing up.
We had no choice but to do without and be careful with what we had.
Money and debt are far too easy nowadays...and bank of mum and dad.

Brillopad 15-07-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10089909)

Where’s the personal responsibility in that? Tempting yes - but still many do manage to resist. I think we come back to that culture of having everything now rather than waiting until you can afford it.

Toy Soldier 15-07-2018 06:18 PM

I'm not going to lie about having a stupid amount of debt that I'm still trying to dig out of, to be fair... But it has nothing to do with not understanding money. I ran up the debts in my early 20's and it's not that I didn't understand it; I was just at a stage of my life where I simply didn't care, and I think that's the real risk with large amounts of credit being available at a young age.

Kizzy 15-07-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brillopad (Post 10089924)
Where’s the personal responsibility in that? Tempting yes - but still many do manage to resist. I think we come back to that culture of having everything now rather than waiting until you can afford it.

Many do yes, many people in my generation do...and some don't.
How do you know if we had had the payday/ unsecured loan culture then we wouldn't be in the same boat?...
Stop trying to demonise young people, it's not rational.

Maru 15-07-2018 06:38 PM

I have the opposite problem. We are stingy, but a lot of people in our age bracket are financially reckless. I've helped friends to get their stuff straightened out in the past and usually am the one to nag on someone for overpaying for something ridiculous.

I'm really good about remembering near contract end dates, calling billers and renegotiating fees, etc. I have to say, I don't mind being a pain in the ass... and yes, have to remember to call before contracts go out, etc...

@LT Electric is a pain here because the savings are based on usage, which means you have to know your meter readings (it's charted on the bill usually, but not necessarily...)... it's a multi-Tier type plan (charged different things based on usage bracket) in markets (depends on the state) that are deregulated. So have to read the fine print and watch for low usage fees, etc.

At least they've regulated the label itself where it's laid out the same from each plan to the next. So they all have to use the same formatting, so that keeps that simpler at least... I don't necessarily mind that it's multi-Tier, because it's based on how much energy they end to "buy"... and of course, for some people, they will charge more for a lower usage plan... but then if you have a wash-house for example on it's own meter, then it pays nicely to have a 6mo contract... annoying to renew, but the rate is really low.

Online makes things so much simpler than it used to be imo when it comes to saving money. I can renew most of my plans online and there's no excuse when there is really no shortage of information (i.e. search engines)... also it's difficult to be duped by a scammy company with things like Nextdoor and review sites but means there is more competition since people are more likely to leave their "known" brands for something with better value. I think it's so much easier now than it's ever used to be, so I don't think the current generation should have any excuse...

Brillopad 15-07-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10089967)
Many do yes, many people in my generation do...and some don't.
How do you know if we had had the payday/ unsecured loan culture then we wouldn't be in the same boat?...
Stop trying to demonise young people, it's not rational.

I don’t see it as demonising anyone - just being realistic. I know we can all be irresponsible when young, I know I was, but today’s young often seem to want it all and right now - but endlessly moan about how hard done by they are and not wanting to take any responsibility for the choices they make. Personal responsibility is an important thing to take on board in my opinion. You won’t get far without it.

parmnion 15-07-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underscore (Post 10089601)

A what:conf:

Brillopad 15-07-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10090019)
A what:conf:

File.