ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   NHS refuses to fund weight loss camp for 17 stone 10 year old (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344549)

Cherie 12-08-2018 08:13 AM

NHS refuses to fund weight loss camp for 17 stone 10 year old

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...hs-17-13069202

A boy aged just 10 who weighs 17 stone fears he faces death if he cannot beat his food addiction.

Terrified Kyon Fritz Marriott, who is believed to be Britain’s most obese primary school child, said he feels like a “slave” to his weight and his out-of-control eating.

He is afraid to go outside and is in the grip of such helpless cravings he routinely binges in his family’s bathroom on crisps and chocolate he has stolen from the kitchen.

In an anguished plea the lad, who stands 5ft 1in and has a 47in waist, says: “I just want to be a normal 10-year-old. I just want help.”

But his desperate mother accuses the NHS of letting him down and says shrinking funding means he won’t get the help he needs to save his life.

Cherie 12-08-2018 08:15 AM

They will fund a gastric band procedure after he turns 12 at a cost of 10,000 the weight loss camp would cost half of that, is this a good use of NHS funding?

I suspect someone will step in and pay for the camp, but are they successful in keeping the weight off afterwards?

Kazanne 12-08-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10137693)
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...hs-17-13069202

A boy aged just 10 who weighs 17 stone fears he faces death if he cannot beat his food addiction.

Terrified Kyon Fritz Marriott, who is believed to be Britain’s most obese primary school child, said he feels like a “slave” to his weight and his out-of-control eating.

He is afraid to go outside and is in the grip of such helpless cravings he routinely binges in his family’s bathroom on crisps and chocolate he has stolen from the kitchen.

In an anguished plea the lad, who stands 5ft 1in and has a 47in waist, says: “I just want to be a normal 10-year-old. I just want help.”

But his desperate mother accuses the NHS of letting him down and says shrinking funding means he won’t get the help he needs to save his life.

Feel really sorry for this kid,but surely his mother must take some responsibility, the NHS need to look at their priorities though and stop the unnecessary implants etc in favour of people like this kid.

Cherie 12-08-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10137698)
Feel really sorry for this kid,but surely his mother must take some responsibility, the NHS need to look at their priorities though and stop the unnecessary implants etc in favour of people like this kid.

There is that aspect as well, at 10 she controls the food that is brought into the house, it is a bit of vicious circle I suspect he comfort eats due to the bullying and he is bullied because of his size

AnnieK 12-08-2018 08:22 AM

Poor kid and family. I dont think surgery is the answer, he needs educating about healthy foods and exercise, lots of exercise.

arista 12-08-2018 08:23 AM

Yes Tragic Case
he took food to hide in his bedroom.

arista 12-08-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10137702)
Poor kid and family. I dont think surgery is the answer, he needs educating about healthy foods and exercise, lots of exercise.

Yes
the better way.

Cherie 12-08-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieK (Post 10137702)

surgery should be a last resort

AnnieK 12-08-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10137706)
surgery should be a last resort

I can't believe they would consider that even at 12, he won't be anywhere close to stopping growing so seems odd that they would offer surgical intervention that could need re-doing when he grows? He needs to face his problems, change his lifestyle and live a normal childhood and if there is help available to get that for him then he should be offered it. I feel after this article though, someone will step up and fund it. Mum needs to also look what food she brings into the house although if she has other kids at "normal" weights she will feel like she is depriving them of treats but she needs to make changes too

kirklancaster 12-08-2018 08:30 AM

If they can pay for cosmetic surgery - facelifts and breast implants included - for ugly, wannabe-rich and famous tarts such as Josie Cunningham and millions of pounds for methadone for Heroin Addicts and treatments for alcoholics, then they SHOULD fund treatment for this kid who at 10 years of age bears NO responsibility for his STUPID and IGNORANT mother's lack of parental responsibility.

Child abuse and neglect are not confined to physical ACTIONS but also INACTION.

smudgie 12-08-2018 08:48 AM

So he had already had a nine month course paid for by the NHS, it worked at the time but then he piled more weight on.
His mother needs to take more responsibility, don’t buy crisps, chocolate or his favourite food that she piles high, instead she should try taking him for walks to the park and getting him interested in something that keeps his mind busy and off food.
Boot camp works....for the time you are there, then when it stops, it’s back to the old routine. My cousin paid 10 grand, as soon as he came back it all went by the wayside and he ended up heavier than before he went.

Toy Soldier 12-08-2018 09:01 AM

OK so I'm not oversimplifying this - I know that people with eating disorders, if they want to, will find a way to overeat... But...

Why are there crisps and chocolate in the kitchen in the first place.

There's literally no point sending this poor kid anywhere unless the whole family commits to a complete change of lifestyle.

Cherie 12-08-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10137739)
OK so I'm not oversimplifying this - I know that people with eating disorders, if they want to, will find a way to overeat... But...

Why are there crisps and chocolate in the kitchen in the first place.

There's literally no point sending this poor kid anywhere unless the whole family commits to a complete change of lifestyle.

Yes, bit pointless sending him to camp if he is going to return to the same set up, the change of lifestyle has to start at home, and I feel this is why the NHS wont fund as it would be pretty pointless to send him off for 6 months only for the weight to go back on when he comes home

Cherie 12-08-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10137727)
So he had already had a nine month course paid for by the NHS, it worked at the time but then he piled more weight on.
His mother needs to take more responsibility, don’t buy crisps, chocolate or his favourite food that she piles high, instead she should try taking him for walks to the park and getting him interested in something that keeps his mind busy and off food.
Boot camp works....for the time you are there, then when it stops, it’s back to the old routine. My cousin paid 10 grand, as soon as he came back it all went by the wayside and he ended up heavier than before he went.

I missed that in the article, case cut and dried for the NHS then

DouglasS 12-08-2018 09:46 AM

The mother should stop blaming the NHS and other people and look at herself. That child is 10 years old.

jaxie 12-08-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirklancaster (Post 10137712)
If they can pay for cosmetic surgery - facelifts and breast implants included - for ugly, wannabe-rich and famous tarts such as Josie Cunningham and millions of pounds for methadone for Heroin Addicts and treatments for alcoholics, then they SHOULD fund treatment for this kid who at 10 years of age bears NO responsibility for his STUPID and IGNORANT mother's lack of parental responsibility.

Child abuse and neglect are not confined to physical ACTIONS but also INACTION.

Well said Kirk. The thing that stood out in the article was his bathroom binging on crisps and sweets. Her child clearly has a problem so why is she buying crisps and sweets? Having those kinds of foods and fizzy drinks in the house is seriously irresponsible.

arista 12-08-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasS (Post 10137774)
The mother should stop blaming the NHS and other people and look at herself. That child is 10 years old.

Yes many say the Mother is at Fault
for not stopping the binge eating , early.

Niamh. 12-08-2018 10:47 AM

Allowing your 10 year old to get to 17stone is child abuse, the parent's need to accept responsibility and make some changes

Oliver_W 12-08-2018 11:38 AM

The money would be well spent on parenting classes as much as anything else.

Withano 12-08-2018 11:42 AM

I havent read in to this at all, and I might its pretty interesting

..but my initial thought is that they are a health service, and i doubt ‘fat camps’ are actually a healthy way to lose weight?

His mother that keeps buying unhealthy food for him to binge in the bathroom should probably look closer to home until he’s 12

glibberglobber 12-08-2018 11:44 AM

primarily the mothers fault... she could have at least hidden the sweets

GoldHeart 12-08-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10137698)

There's people with more life threatening conditions that can't get treatment , so I can understand when people get angry at NHS funding stuff like this .

So responsibility needs to be taken

UserSince2005 12-08-2018 04:20 PM

his parents deserve locking up.

GoldHeart 12-08-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserSince2005 (Post 10138399)
his parents deserve locking up.

They're enablers :bored: , terrible viscous circle .

Jessica. 14-08-2018 07:34 AM

That is so stupid, a ten year old has no money to buy enough food to stuff himself to 17 stone. They just need to get him into some classes, like swimming/rugby etc.. and give him normal meals for a ten year old.