ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Bohemian Rhapsody (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350609)

Matthew. 16-01-2019 07:46 AM

I saw it the other day, best film I’ve seen in ages :clap1:

parmnion 16-01-2019 07:53 AM

Is it about queen or Freddie mercury?

Underscore 16-01-2019 11:15 AM

I loved this film

Nancy. 18-01-2019 01:23 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody is now available to download (Digitally).
Go watch it, it's amazing. :cheer2:

Kazanne 18-01-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy. (Post 10412414)
Bohemian Rhapsody is now available to download (Digitally).
Go watch it, it's amazing. :cheer2:

It really is Nancy ,I was never a major Queen fan, but I love this movie and that Live Aid performance was second to none.:wavey:

Nancy. 18-01-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10412455)
It really is Nancy ,I was never a major Queen fan, but I love this movie and that Live Aid performance was second to none.:wavey:

Hi Kaz, Lovely to chat to you again
Yes, like yourself I wasn't a massive fan of them, but their 70's / early 80's music was wonderful. A shame the movie stopped at the Live Aid performance and didn't show anything afterwards. I would liked to have seen more, but oh well. Great movie all the same. Thanks for recommanding it. :hee:

Nancy. 28-01-2019 07:55 PM

Oh wow. Rami Malek also won Best Actor at the SAG awards...

:worship:

Niamh. 31-01-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10310847)
I went to see this tonight, with a friend as she is a massive Queen fan,has anyone else seen it? I have to say what a fantastic film it is and I really enjoyed it. Although i did think at first the guy who played Freddie looked more like Mick Jagger at first ,but whoever it was played the part excellently.

The first guy? I thought it was Rami the whole way through?

anyway I really enjoyed the film and I love Queen but It kind of made me like Freddie less, he was a bit of an arsehole, putting all the blame on that one guy is a bit weak I think. I did love his relationship with Mary though :love:

ETA Sorry Kaz I misread your post, at first you thought, not the first guy :laugh:

Kazanne 31-01-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10425112)
The first guy? I thought it was Rami the whole way through?

anyway I really enjoyed the film and I love Queen but It kind of made me like Freddie less, he was a bit of an arsehole, putting all the blame on that one guy is a bit weak I think. I did love his relationship with Mary though :love:

ETA Sorry Kaz I misread your post, at first you thought, not the first guy :laugh:

Yes it was Rami Nimah but I didn't know his name then,lol ,I just thought in parts he looked like Jagger,yes his relationship with Mary was lovely and didn't he leave a lot of his will to her ? I did enjoy the film,it's a shame it has now been marred with this producer whoever being called out on some shady stuff, I read it had been pulled from some award.

Niamh. 31-01-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10425154)
Yes it was Rami Nimah but I didn't know his name then,lol ,I just thought in parts he looked like Jagger,yes his relationship with Mary was lovely and didn't he leave a lot of his will to her ? I did enjoy the film,it's a shame it has now been marred with this producer whoever being called out on some shady stuff, I read it had been pulled from some award.

Yeah he left her 3 quarters of his estate and the house aswell. I did enjoy it yeah, there was alot of stuff I didn't know eventhough I've always been a fan of their music. My favourite character from the film was Miami Beach :laugh:

Niamh. 31-01-2019 11:12 AM

Seems like they took a lot of liberties with the truth actually :laugh:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-check-746195/

Jake. 22-02-2019 11:15 PM

Just got back from watching this. I thought it was phenomenal and I’m so glad I went.
Seeing the Live Aid performance on anything but a cinema screen wouldn’t have done it justice.

Nancy. 25-02-2019 08:05 PM

Well done to Rami for winning best actor. He was phenomenal in B.R.

iRyan 25-02-2019 08:23 PM

The film was very entertaining and Rami Malek did an incredible job. However, there were some significant gaps in truth that you will find if you read up on it. I also found the portrayal of his sexuality to be problematic. It seemed like everything tied to his lifestyle as a gay man was portrayed negatively. This article puts it best:

Quote:

The movie reduces queer identity to a series of promiscuous sexual encounters, which it consistently frames as sordid, shameful, illicit, and corrupting. It also builds a whole annoying subplot around the “predatory gay villain” trope, which is a tired, obnoxious cliché that in Bohemian Rhapsody is even more problematic than usual because it’s used to imply that Mercury, a real-life gay man, was somehow corrupted into becoming queer by an opportunistic music industry parasite who doesn’t really care about Freddie at all.

Bohemian Rhapsody also refuses to depict gay men having meaningful and deeply emotional relationships. The emotional development of Mercury’s romance with Jim Hutton, his partner of seven years, is relegated to a single conversation. Their entire loving, monogamous relationship is reduced onscreen to a single kiss and a brief hand squeeze.

This minimization makes it an even worse offense that the film does take the time to depict Mercury having a series of promiscuous sexual encounters, which it paints as sordid and shameful. Because Bohemian Rhapsody only equates queerness with sex, and because it frames his queer lifestyle as bad, Mercury’s subsequent AIDS diagnosis is inherently set up and portrayed as a punishment for his queerness.
https://www.vox.com/2018/11/16/18071...id-closet-aids

Niamh. 25-02-2019 08:45 PM

Yeah Ryan, I looked it up afterwards and loads of it was untrue which was disappointing. On the other hand I watched Green Book just recently and it was pretty much all accurate

Brother Leon 25-02-2019 11:41 PM

Biopics are almost always played around with. Especially with timelines. It’s still supposed to be a movie after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10458515)
Yeah Ryan, I looked it up afterwards and loads of it was untrue which was disappointing. On the other hand I watched Green Book just recently and it was pretty much all accurate

Not if you ask DR. Shirley’s family...

James 25-02-2019 11:48 PM

One of my favourite recent(ish) films was The Social Network, and that was based on a book which was said to be only 50% inaccurate. When you listen to the screenwriter's commentary track he states clearly that the film is the movie-version of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook.

Tony Montana 11-03-2019 09:40 PM

Apparently there are talks for a sequel

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8818256.html

Toy Soldier 11-03-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Montana (Post 10474865)
Apparently there are talks for a sequel

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8818256.html

Wh... :think:.

Tony Montana 11-03-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10474928)
Wh... :think:.

My thoughts exactly TS

Seems like they're milking the films success. Watch the sequel flop

parmnion 11-03-2019 10:46 PM

A equal will be good with that actor playing freddie through until his ending