ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Former Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry attacks council worker! (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351187)

LeatherTrumpet 02-11-2018 08:16 AM

Former Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry attacks council worker!

Ex-Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry
catches council worker on video as he confiscated
homeless man's sleeping bag

• Video was filmed by Michelle Dewberry, who won BBC show in 2006
  • She pleads with man not to remove the cardboard, sleeping bag and umbrella
  • She shared the video online, adding she was in shock at the removal (virtue signal alert)
  • Lambeth Council said it had repeatedly warned man to remove the possessions so guy just doing his job

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/cxresour...JlYjIzNDZmIl0=
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...7510461369.jpg
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/cxresour...JlYjIzNDZmIl0=
A council worker has come under fire after footage of him confiscating a homeless man's sleeping bag was filmed by a former winner of the Apprentice

A council worker has come under fire after footage of him confiscating a homeless man's sleeping bag was filmed by a former winner of the Apprentice.

The video was filmed by 2006 champion Michelle Dewberry, who chastises the worker for removing the items even though she has no clue about why.

In the footage, she can be heard pleading with the man, who works for Lambeth Council, to not throw away the cardboard, sleeping bag and umbrella.

But he refuses and drives away after admitting that he knows the possessions belong to a homeless man sleeping rough in the public park in south London.

She shared the video on Twitter, adding that she was in shock after witnessing the removal.

The businesswoman posted: 'I'm sheltering from rain under canopy. Homeless man sleeps here. His cardboard, sleeping bag & umberella are here to stay dry

'Then this. @lambeth_council the guy said he works for you. His lorry was full of blankets & sleeping bags. This isn't ok. We shouldn't let this happen.'

Lots of sycophants then agreed with her in an outraged manner

however

Councillor Paul Gadsby, Lambeth Cabinet Member for Housing, defended the video.

He said: 'Lambeth does a huge amount of work to help vulnerable people who find themselves at threat from homelessness or find themselves sleeping rough.

'Despite devastating government cuts to the council's budget we have a rough sleeping team that is out day and night providing support to those in need.

'In this case, an individual had been sleeping at this location every night for four weeks.

'As with all rough sleepers, we spoke to the gentlemen continually and offered him support into local hostel accommodation so that he did not need to sleep outside.

'However, he was adamant that he wants no support or help.

'Council officers said several times that if he continues to leave possessions in a public park, they would be removed.

'That was enacted today. Our outreach team will continue trying to get him into more appropriate accommodation.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eping-bag.html

thoughts?

Amy Jade 02-11-2018 08:44 AM

How is it supportive of the council worker to remove items that would keep a homeless person warm or dry?

I understand that they claim the person had been warned but I am not so sure I believe that at all.

Good for her exposing this.

LeatherTrumpet 02-11-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 10327970)
How is it supportive of the council worker to remove items that would keep a homeless person warm or dry?

I understand that they claim the person had been warned but I am not so sure I believe that at all.

Good for her exposing this.

exposing councils for doing their jobs?

Liam- 02-11-2018 08:58 AM

You need to have a certain lack of empathy if you’re able to take things like sleeping bags off of homeless people, even more so when it’s getting really cold like it is now, they might just be doing their job, but imo, I says a lot about a person that can do that without any second thought.

LeatherTrumpet 02-11-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10327990)
You need to have a certain lack of empathy if you’re able to take things like sleeping bags off of homeless people, even more so when it’s getting really cold like it is now, they might just be doing their job, but imo, I says a lot about a person that can do that without any second thought.

So he should disobey, get sacked, lose his home and be homeless

nice sentiment

Alf 02-11-2018 09:04 AM

Dewberry is not short of a bob or two, if she's that concerned, she could buy the man a brand new top of the range sleeping bag.

Liam- 02-11-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10327994)
So he should disobey, get sacked, lose his home and be homeless

nice sentiment

No he shouldn’t do that, because it’s his job, he has to earn, but they should realise that any of their workers who are spotted doing stuff like this, are going to face backlash from the public and it will shine a negative light on the council who is allowing it to happen.

They might offer help to the homeless, but the article makes it seem like it’s either do it their way, or they’ll make life on the streets even harder for them than it already is, that’s not helpful to anyone.

LeatherTrumpet 02-11-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10328001)
No he shouldn’t do that, because it’s his job, he has to earn, but they should realise that any of their workers who are spotted doing stuff like this, are going to face backlash from the public and it will shine a negative light on the council who is allowing it to happen.

They might offer help to the homeless, but the article makes it seem like it’s either do it their way, or they’ll make life on the streets even harder for them than it already is, that’s not helpful to anyone.

'As with all rough sleepers, we spoke to the gentlemen continually and offered him support into local hostel accommodation so that he did not need to sleep outside."

arista 02-11-2018 09:22 AM

If the Sleeping bag
is on Private Property it can be removed.

Its not a problem for the SkyNewsHD "The Pledge"
presenter.

arista 02-11-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10328000)
Dewberry is not short of a bob or two, if she's that concerned, she could buy the man a brand new top of the range sleeping bag.

Or even better
let him stay in her home

Liam- 02-11-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10328028)
'As with all rough sleepers, we spoke to the gentlemen continually and offered him support into local hostel accommodation so that he did not need to sleep outside."

And then when he didn’t want their help, they actively chose to make his life harder than it is by taking his things away from him, how is that productive in any sense? He should have accepted their offer, but they didn’t have to, essentially, punish him for not taking their help, it’s barbaric.

LeatherTrumpet 02-11-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10328034)
And then when he didn’t want their help, they actively chose to make his life harder than it is by taking his things away from him, how is that productive in any sense? He should have accepted their offer, but they didn’t have to, essentially, punish him for not taking their help, it’s barbaric.

No its not, families, small children and taxpayers use that park and they are looking after them.

I am pretty sure if a homeless set up camp in your back garden you would be pretty quick to get something done to remove them (ie call the council)

and i bet it would not be to give them a bed in your gaff

arista 02-11-2018 09:41 AM

Way back in 2015
I had a Good Solution to this homeless problem
http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...d.php?t=294081