ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB19 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=728)
-   -   Januarys CBB was the final nail in the coffin (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351559)

Gstar 07-11-2018 02:01 PM

Januarys CBB was the final nail in the coffin

IMO it was the series that ended the show. So incredibly dull - literally nothing happened. Weren’t some of the ratings almost 1 million less than the previous series (Kim Woodburn)

I know that civilian is the reason the show was made but no one can tell me those messy January CBBs didn’t have at least 3 more years to give. CBB17 is still talked about all over the world

RIP BB, it was fun while it lasted but they should of kept January CBB

Epic. 07-11-2018 02:07 PM

I agree it was tragic, but the show was already slowly losing viewers during the horror of CBB18 so it was bound to slip eventually

Elliot 07-11-2018 02:11 PM

God it was dreadful wasn’t it

Elliot 07-11-2018 02:17 PM

I also think nastiness being mistaken for entertainment has also been a huge factor. See Helen and the possible Lewis win. The sucesss of these people really has shown a complete switch in what big brother fans want. The producers then try to cater to it and be controversial as possible and it’s made a lot of fans drift off

reece(: 07-11-2018 02:29 PM

The theme flopped in the worst possible way

Marsh. 07-11-2018 02:29 PM

No. One lowkey series in a sea of OTT trash didn't kill the show.

Cal. 07-11-2018 02:39 PM

I get what you’re saying. Those ridiculously messy January CBB’s could have sustained themselves I think. Such a shame we won’t be getting one in January. They’re usually the only series of the year I really love.

Yaki da 07-11-2018 03:06 PM

I didn't like all that Year of The Woman bollocks. But it was quite a good series other than that.

MTVN 07-11-2018 05:06 PM

It was pretty dull but at the time it got a lot of credit for being an intelligent old school series. I remember Emma even saying it might have been the best series ever although she's obviously had her fair share of suspect opinions

Elliot 07-11-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10338970)
It was pretty dull but at the time it got a lot of credit for being an intelligent old school series. I remember Emma even saying it might have been the best series ever although she's obviously had her fair share of suspect opinions

ddd did she actually say that? Cancelled

Also what part of cbb21 was old school, outside of it being eerily as boring as bb4?

Marsh. 07-11-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 10338972)
ddd did she actually say that? Cancelled

Also what part of cbb21 was old school, outside of it being eerily as boring as bb4?

A focus on housemate interaction and conversation over showmance and OTT tasks "who said this?" etc although the series didn't escape that trash entirely.

montblanc 07-11-2018 05:45 PM

it was dull but a lot of the casual local viewers love it i think

Elliot 07-11-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10339052)
A focus on housemate interaction and conversation over showmance and OTT tasks "who said this?" etc although the series didn't escape that trash entirely.

And yet it still managed to be a mind numbingly dull and useless series :clap1:

MTVN 07-11-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10339052)

Pretty much and the year of the woman thing actually worked quite well at the start when the female housemates all discussed their different ideas of feminism etc and the representation was quite diverse from trans India to glamour model Jess to old Tory Christian Ann and then Shane/Courtney when he entered

Jason. 07-11-2018 05:56 PM

CBB20 was worse.

Marsh. 07-11-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot (Post 10339058)
And yet it still managed to be a mind numbingly dull and useless series :clap1:

Considering you're a fan of the likes of Sarah Harding I'm glad you found it dull.

RileyH 07-11-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 10339063)
CBB20 was worse.

No it really wasn't

Shaun 07-11-2018 06:04 PM

Enjoyed the series a lot, was refreshing to see the show actually talk about serious issues rather than kick straight off with stripping, bedwetting and instant showmance. India really should've survived over Jonny, though.

It's definitely in my top half of CBBs because there were plenty of funny, intelligent (or both) housemates. There might not have been much in the way of explosive moments but I'd rather watch something organic and compelling than the same old shrieking bitch every night (see: Natalie Nunn, Farrah/Austin, Speidi)

Daniel. 07-11-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason. (Post 10339063)
CBB20 was worse.

Shut up that one had Jemma

Elliot 07-11-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10339080)
Enjoyed the series a lot, was refreshing to see the show actually talk about serious issues rather than kick straight off with stripping, bedwetting and instant showmance. India really should've survived over Jonny, though.

It's definitely in my top half of CBBs because there were plenty of funny, intelligent (or both) housemates. There might not have been much in the way of explosive moments but I'd rather watch something organic and compelling than the same old shrieking bitch every night (see: Natalie Nunn, Farrah/Austin, Speidi)

The show didn’t really tackle the issues tho, it was the people watching that sparked the conversations. Iirc most of it was around India, but non of it was actually discussed critically on the show outside of ginuwine saying he wouldn’t date a trans girl. There were a lot of debates on social media but the most that happened in the house was Andrew and Courtney bitching about Ann’s opinions behind her back.

The series still had rabid attention seekers. Andrew Brady is one of the more fame hungry people to ever come on Cbb. The issue was there were like 3 people desperate for camera time and everyone else just wanted an easy paycheck. People were only quieter because they didn’t want to be there, not because they were having intelligent conversation. People were also quieter because they wanted to clear their name after their manager told them how bad their rep is. Dapper laughs is the biggest example of this. Actively did **** all so he could show he’s some changed person or whatever. Even Ashley tried some showmance but because of how uninteresting the pair were it was swiftly forgotten. If you watch the debate task back production were trying so hard to get them to have intelligent discussions but it never happened outside of a few tedious monologues from Courtney. The first week was far better and more promising imo, like day 1 they had that que card task where they were all sharing their opinions about gender related stuff and sharing experiences and it was genuinely interesting. You can watch it back, this never happened again.

This series had the same vapid soulless desperate fame seekers, but without any of the zest that has made for good tv for the past like 18 years. The only housemate that ever came close to anything classic big brother was India. A genuinely involved, layered, intriguing character. That lasted for what, 10 days? She could’ve been the catalyst for a lot of interesting **** for this series, yet instead 14 or so housemates managed to coast to a toasty paycheck doing **** all and giving us one of the most dull series ever. I rmemeber Rachel, John and malika saying in interviews that they’re told to say it was a life changing experience ect but secretly they couldn’t stand it and just wanted the money. It’s kinda annoying this absolute snooze fest was misconstrued as an intelligent, reserved, back to basics series. An absolute INSULT to the prime of this fantastic show.

supertv247 07-11-2018 07:01 PM

Tbh it all started with CBB19. 13, 15 & 17 were huge and January CBB’s were the jewel in the crown, but then they started messing about with half all stars and then all women. They should’ve did these twists in the lesser important summer CBB. CBB22 was pretty much a classic January series, and if that had been CBB19 then I think things would be very different

Epic. 07-11-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertv247 (Post 10339143)
Tbh it all started with CBB19. 13, 15 & 17 were huge and January CBB’s were the jewel in the crown, but then they started messing about with half all stars and then all women. They should’ve did these twists in the lesser important summer CBB. CBB22 was pretty much a classic January series, and if that had been CBB19 then I think things would be very different

CBB19 would've had exceptional ratings if it aired in 2016. All-stars was a highly requested theme of the show. It was only after the hugely negative and deserving backlash against CBB18 that many gave the January CBB after a pass

Zizu 07-11-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germyle (Post 10338688)
IMO it was the series that ended the show. So incredibly dull - literally nothing happened. Weren’t some of the ratings almost 1 million less than the previous series (Kim Woodburn)

I know that civilian is the reason the show was made but no one can tell me those messy January CBBs didn’t have at least 3 more years to give. CBB17 is still talked about all over the world

RIP BB, it was fun while it lasted but they should of kept January CBB

I actually really liked that Celeb series and this last one as well ..

Best two series for years imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rob! 07-11-2018 07:27 PM

I don’t agree tbh. In terms of quality I think 2018 was actually the best year Channel 5 had with Big Brother.
The rot set in for BB with Helen winning and then with Bear in CBB

Marsh. 07-11-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 10339125)
Shut up that one had Jemma

Exactly.