ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host after being told to apologise for old tweets & jokes (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352651)

James 07-12-2018 06:33 AM

Kevin Hart quits as Oscars host after being told to apologise for old tweets & jokes

Old tweets coming back to haunt someone again.

Quote:

December 6, 2018 7:57PM PT
Kevin Hart Steps Down as Oscar Host
By Kristopher Tapley

Wednesday afternoon, comedian Kevin Hart was announced as the host for the upcoming 91st annual Academy Awards. By Thursday night, he had stepped down.

The turn of events followed outcry over previous anti-gay tweets, and comments Hart made during stand-up routines nearly 10 years ago. Some of the tweets were feverishly deleted throughout the day on Thursday, leading to an Instragram video from the comedian that only made matters worse for him.

“My team calls me, ‘Oh my God, Kevin, everyone’s upset by tweets you did years ago,'” he said in that video. “Guys, I’m nearly 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify the past, do you. I’m the wrong guy, man.”

Those words rang as a defiant non-apology for many. Hours later, Hart resurfaced with another video stating that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had given him an ultimatum: Apologize or we’ll find a new host.

“I chose to pass on the apology,” the 39-year-old actor-comedian said in the video. “The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times. This is not the first time this has come up. I’ve addressed it. I’ve spoken on it. I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were. I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different place in my life.”

That, too, rang hollow for many. Less than two hours later, Hart announced via Twitter that he was removing himself from the gig, and he finally offered the apology everyone was looking for.

I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.

— Kevin Hart (@KevinHart4real) December 7, 2018

“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscars,” he wrote. “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I’m sorry that I hurt people. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love and appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”

Now the Academy finds itself in the unenviable position of casting a net once again to fill a role that clearly no one wanted in the first place; the Dec. 5 announcement of Hart as emcee was quite late in the game, and sources say the organization has had more trouble than usual finding someone to front their show.

The Academy did not respond to a request for comment.
https://variety.com/2018/film/awards...st-1203083698/

Oliver_W 07-12-2018 07:16 AM

That's a shame, Kevin Hart would have been good.

arista 07-12-2018 10:31 AM

Makes the Oscars Controls
look dumb for picking him.

10 year old tweets,
Typical.

LeatherTrumpet 07-12-2018 10:32 AM

"comedian" Kevin Hart steps down from Oscars host due to 10 year old Homophobia

Essentially he stopped being a gay hater when he got famous and his PR told him not to, details below

Kevin Hart STEPS DOWN as 2019 Oscars host after refusing to apologize for
homophobic tweets joking about 'f*gs' and Aids and stand-up
skit saying his 'biggest fear was his son growing up gay
'
  • Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting the 2019 Oscars Thursday night
  • He had refused to apologize for anti-gay tweets from 2009 to 2011 that surfaced
  • The comedian revealed the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences had given him an ultimatum: apologize or they would seek a new host
  • The 39-year-old said he would 'pass on the apology' but hours later finally did apologize to the LGBTQ community as he stepped down from the hosting gig
  • Now-deleted tweets showed Hart using homophobic slurs and rhetoric
  • In a 2010 stand-up routine he said 'one of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay'
  • Hart said Tuesday when it was announced he would be hosting the Oscars that it had been a 'goal on my list for a long time'

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12...61_634x437.jpg

Kevin Hart a comedian who you probably have never heard of, has stepped down as the host of the 2019 Oscars amid a slew of backlash over years-old
homophobic tweets that recently surfaced.

'I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's....this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be
celebrated by so many amazing talented artists,'
the comedian tweeted Thursday night, just two days
after being named host. 'I sincerely apologize to the
LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.'

His apology, however, has come too little too late after he
revealed earlier in an Instagram video that the Academy of
Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences had given him an ultimatum:
apologize for the comments or they would seek a new host.

Hart responded to the ultimatum in the video asserting that he
chose to 'pass on the apology' because he had 'addressed this several times'.

Less than two hours later the 39-year-old changed his tune, issuing an apology to the LGBTQ community along with his resignation as Oscars host.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...draws-ire.html

LeatherTrumpet 07-12-2018 10:33 AM

oh feck I just made this too, James can you merge?

Liam- 07-12-2018 10:36 AM

I love Kevin Hart, but he’s always been problematic, they should have done a bit of research beforehand, I’m tired of comedians having to apologise for their material though., it’s about time people grew up, he’s apologised for any offence it caused multiple times, let the man live

Niamh. 07-12-2018 10:38 AM

I mean those tweets were pretty bad, i can see why the academy would want to distance themselves from that kind of attitude. I'd never known that about Kevin before though, that's disappointing because I really like him as an actor. When he says he's addressed it before , how?

Scarlett. 07-12-2018 12:06 PM

I mean, if I had ****ty opinions like he used to do, and put them out there on a big platform like he did, I'd never stop apologising.

Niamh. 07-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia. (Post 10377221)
I mean, if I had ****ty opinions like he used to do, and put them out there on a big platform like he did, I'd never stop apologising.

mm and apoligising "for causing offense" isn't really saying you don't still have those opinions

Scarlett. 07-12-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10377223)
mm and apoligising "for causing offensive" isn't really saying you don't still have those opinions

Yeah, it's kind of a "sorry you got offended" sort of apology, rather than an actual heartfelt apology

LeatherTrumpet 07-12-2018 12:20 PM

His attitude has not changed but his worry about losing his status and privilege has

No one at the Oscars can look through tweets?

Shaun 07-12-2018 12:52 PM

The guy just isn't that funny. Pretty annoying too, so no loss.

bitontheslide 07-12-2018 01:17 PM

The academy awards people are walking on eggshells because of their historic incompetence so they had to be seen to be doing something. However, for such a high profile role, one would have thought an apology was required given that most have never heard of him before. It's like him saying he apologised to the lift attendant so why should he bother repeating it again.

Livia 07-12-2018 01:34 PM

Someone might tell the Academy that inclusivity doesn't mean just hiring a black person.

Tom4784 07-12-2018 02:13 PM

I agree with him tbh, If he's apologised before and people moved past it and, more importantly, he's shown that he's grown as a person then I don't think old tweets matter and taking offence at comedy is always something I've been opposed to.

The whole cancelled culture is dumb and it demeans the stance against bigotry that people who engage with that culture pretend to take. It's a damaging witch hunt that only gives ammo to people seeking to undermine people who oppose bigotry.

People learning from their past is more important than shaming them over it.

If this was more recent then I'd get the outrage but it's just so needless if the lessons have already been learned.

Alf 09-12-2018 02:32 PM

I predict a man hating lesbian to take his place.

Zizu 09-12-2018 03:06 PM

Has to be Ryan Reynolds !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beastie 09-12-2018 03:10 PM

Ricky Gervais for host!

Toy Soldier 09-12-2018 03:41 PM

It's a poisoned chalice, no one wants to do it at this point.

Alf 09-12-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10379435)
It's a poisoned chalice, no one wants to do it at this point.

They should let an illegal immigrant host, seeing how the Hollywood elite are always preaching how much they are welcome.

Braden 09-12-2018 03:49 PM

Of all people to get the job in the first place, they choose him? Never knew he was still relevant enough for a gig like this.

Toy Soldier 09-12-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden (Post 10379443)
Of all people to get the job in the first place, they choose him? Never knew he was still relevant enough for a gig like this.

He wasn't their first, second, third or tenth choice. Like I said, no one wants to do it.

Braden 09-12-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10379445)
He wasn't their first, second, third or tenth choice. Like I said, no one wants to do it.

Oh, I thought you meant post-Kevin Hart.

Why does no-one want to host it? I feel there's an obvious answer to this that I'm missing. Times Up and Me Too still rife and no-one wants the stigma attached?

Toy Soldier 09-12-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden (Post 10379447)
Oh, I thought you meant post-Kevin Hart.

Why does no-one want to host it? I feel there's an obvious answer to this that I'm missing. Times Up and Me Too still rife and no-one wants the stigma attached?

Yeah, Hollywood is a bit of a mess at the moment and no one wants to stick their head above the parapet. They'll either have the internet go over their history with a fine-toothed comb (like Kevin Hart), or they'll be accused of being "part of the Hollywood system" afterwards. I'd assume most people's agents are just saying "it's risky" to anyone who is asked.

arista 09-12-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastie (Post 10379410)
Ricky Gervais for host!

Yes at least he ain't Scared
he has done it before , as well.