ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Did the fire brigade fail to save more lives at grenfell. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354242)

Cherie 12-02-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10441862)
There was a lot of confusion on that night..including the fire brigade believing the fire was out, waiting to long to evacuate the building..heck even some of the 999 calls were handled as far away as Newcastle. ..

Yes because the flats in those tower blocks are supposed to be independantly safe and the advice it to stay put, that is of course unless the cladding surrounding the whole building isn't flammable which nobody knew until it was too late!

The firefighters were working on the premise that the building was up to standard safety wise with clear stairwells, and sprinker systems, what do you say to the residents commitee who were fighting for years to get these safety systems in place? too bad the firefighters weren't up to it on the night?

Niamh. 12-02-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10441862)
There was a lot of confusion on that night..including the fire brigade believing the fire was out, waiting to long to evacuate the building..heck even some of the 999 calls were handled as far away as Newcastle. ..

Of course there was confusion, it was a massive incident, probably one most of the fire service and other emergency staff will not have seen in their lifetimes. Evacuations and timing would have been very much based on them assuming that the building didn't have flammable cladding wrapped around it also.

parmnion 12-02-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10441865)
Yes because the flats in those tower blocks are supposed to be independantly safe and the advice it to stay put, that is of course unless the cladding surrounding the whole building isn't flammable which nobody knew until it was too late!

The firefighters were working on the premise that the building was up to standard safety wise with clear stairwells, and sprinker systems, what do you say to the residents commitee who were fighting for years to get these safety systems in place? too bad the firefighters weren't up to it on the night?

One should ask oneself if the resident commitee had been fighting to get these safety measures in place then why didn't the fire brigade know that the safety measure went in place.

Cherie 12-02-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10441875)
One should ask oneself if the resident commitee had been fighting to get these safety measures in place then why didn't the fire brigade know that the safety measure went in place.

Nobody knew the cladding was flammable apart from the person who signed off on it. I believe they were aware of the sprinkler system not being in operation but on the night are you really going to refer to your notes about a particular building? The cladding is the reason it went up like it did

parmnion 12-02-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10441876)
Nobody knew the cladding was flammable apart from the person who signed off on it. I believe they were aware of the sprinkler system not being in operation but on the night are you really going to refer to your notes about a particular building? The cladding is the reason it went up like it did

Checking notes is precisely what I would expect the chief fire officer to be doing.

Toy Soldier 12-02-2019 03:23 PM

I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree here Parm... Getting mad because everything wasn't handled 100% perfectly in an emergency situation is pointless, because there's no such thing as perfect in an emergency situation. It was a few hours of chaos. Whereas the problems that caused it, and turned a simple kitchen fire into an entire multistorey building going up in flames, were YEARS in the making and there were countless opportunities to fix those issues. The only reason they weren't fixed is money. Pure and simple.

parmnion 12-02-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10441898)
I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree here Parm... Getting mad because everything wasn't handled 100% perfectly in an emergency situation is pointless, because there's no such thing as perfect in an emergency situation. It was a few hours of chaos. Whereas the problems that caused it, and turned a simple kitchen fire into an entire multistorey building going up in flames, were YEARS in the making and there were countless opportunities to fix those issues. The only reason they weren't fixed is money. Pure and simple.

We will see what the programme comes up with, I am hoping my suspicions are unfounded I must admit

Underscore 12-02-2019 03:39 PM

I can't believe anybody could even think this.

Shameful

parmnion 12-02-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underscore (Post 10441913)
I can't believe anybody could even think this.

Shameful

I would hope that people think this after every fire to be honest, surely it's the only way to learn from mistakes or to better procedures?

Toy Soldier 12-02-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10441912)
We will see what the programme comes up with, I am hoping my suspicions are unfounded I must admit

:shrug: depends how impartial the documentary is.

parmnion 12-02-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10441922)
:shrug: depends how impartial the documentary is.

It's on c4 so we can be slightly more optimistic than we would be if it were on BBC.

GoldHeart 13-02-2019 09:45 AM

Yeah let's all blame the hardworking firefighters who risked their lives :facepalm: . They did all they could, the fire spread so quickly.
Oh and Let's ignore the dangerous cladding and terrible building structure :crazy: