ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What can be done to curb knife crime. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354816)

parmnion 06-03-2019 08:31 AM

What can be done to curb knife crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sk...ences-11585248

Livia 06-03-2019 11:15 AM

First we have to accept the unpalatable truth that knife and gun crime are predominantly black on black crimes. Black youths are over-represented in the figures... and yet stop and search is looked upon as an infringement of their rights. Kids are groomed by gangs while their in primary school... I don't know what the answer is but I do think more black police officers would go a long way in building bridges between the constabulary and the black community.

Kazanne 06-03-2019 11:44 AM

I think we should get much tougher on the people who carry knives etc , and yes more police ,but if they are not allowed to stop and search its pointless , and whilst it's fashionable to blame the government saying they have blood on their hands , NO the only people with blood an their hands are the people who thrust the knife in , also parents need to take more control , some parents don't care as their little angels are out of their way, so as Livia said more black policemen,harsher punishments and parental control back.

parmnion 06-03-2019 12:22 PM

Harsher punishments for me...

One bloke was given a police caution for having a knife at school then was caught two years later with cocain canibis and a knife.....he was given a six month suspended sentence...that is no deterrent for these feral kids....also no ground stop and searches should be ramped up to the max, which would mean more police on the streets....which can only be a good thing...

Marsh. 06-03-2019 12:23 PM

Plastic cutlery. :)

parmnion 06-03-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10466587)
Plastic cutlery. :)

No good for the planet, too much plastic already.

Northern Monkey 06-03-2019 12:25 PM

There’s no one single solution.
It needs a multi faceted approach.

Harsher punishments,Stop and search,education,Youth schemes,more police,more cash etc.

parmnion 06-03-2019 12:30 PM

Proactive police response rather than reactive..

Marsh. 06-03-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10466589)
No good for the planet, too much plastic already.

Recycleable. :)

parmnion 06-03-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10466597)
Recycleable. :)

Not in East London I'm afraid....they would just be dumped on the streets with he rest of the rubbish.

Alf 06-03-2019 02:32 PM

Good parenting.

Gstar 06-03-2019 02:40 PM

^^^

armand.kay 06-03-2019 05:21 PM

More funding for youth programs and after school organisations. Gangs prey on young people who have no other family structure or those who feel left out by society. We need to make young people realise there is a life for them outside of gang culture, that their life is worth so much more and that there is a place for them in our society.

Stop and search creates climate in which black men are presumed to be guilty and are told that they must constantly have their privacy violated by police in order to prove themselves innocent. I really can't see how putting more policemen on the streets to humiliate and harass black people will do anything but make them feel more alienated.

armand.kay 06-03-2019 05:23 PM

I'm also not sure about harsher punishments because I can't imagine a gang banger is thinking about how long their sentencing might be.

Alf 06-03-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10466946)
More funding for youth programs and after school organisations. Gangs prey on young people who have no other family structure or those who feel left out by society. We need to make young people realise there is a life for them outside of gang culture, that their life is worth so much more and that there is a place for them in our society.

Stop and search creates climate in which black men are presumed to be guilty and are told that they must constantly have their privacy violated by police in order to prove themselves innocent. I really can't see how putting more policemen on the streets to humiliate and harass black people will do anything but make them feel more alienated.

Speaking from experience of being a kid, where I grew up, on a council estate in Hull, we didn't need funding or youth programmes, we just needed a football and we was happy. Stabbing people never entered our minds at any point.

Marsh. 06-03-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10466959)
Speaking from experience of being a kid, where I grew up, on a council estate in Hull, we didn't need funding or youth programmes, we just needed a football and we was happy. Stabbing people never entered our minds at any point.

That's great. Sadly, not a universal experience.

LeatherTrumpet 06-03-2019 05:34 PM

There isn't any knife crime near me or near probably most members so

armand.kay 06-03-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10466959)

stabbing people doesn't enter the minds of the majority of black youth in London but this thread isn't about them.

Alf 06-03-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10466973)
stabbing people doesn't enter the minds of the majority of black youth in London but this thread isn't about them.

My point is, lack of funding and youth programmes, isn't a good enough excuse.

Marsh. 06-03-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10466996)

It's not an excuse. It's being offered as one potential solution.

armand.kay 06-03-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10466996)

when did i say that was an excuse??

armand.kay 06-03-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10466999)
It's not an excuse. It's being offered as one potential solution.

parmnion 06-03-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 10466950)
I'm also not sure about harsher punishments because I can't imagine a gang banger is thinking about how long their sentencing might be.

But surely that is the type of mentallity the public need off their streets,

armand.kay 06-03-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10467013)
So shouldn't that be the type of mentallity the public need off their streets?

i'm not against it but i just can't see it being enough.

parmnion 06-03-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf (Post 10466705)
Good parenting.

That would help, but sadly, I'm afraid areas and countries that the parents have arrived in the uk from this knife carrying is a form of acceptable conduct and if needed,:shrug: confrontation..