ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Creative Writing and Books (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My first novel progress / updates... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357629)

Wizard. 09-06-2019 10:33 PM

My first novel progress / updates...

I feel like I need motivation to write my novel that I have been slowly planning for like four years now. I only really put ideas down on paper about just less than a year ago now. I have a strong belief in the story, its premise and the characters have really come to life. What has stopped me is that I feel as though I haven't read enough to become a good writer so I don't know if my writing is up to scratch. As some of you know I used to write songs but that is completely different obviously and, my songwriting has taken a hit since I started this project. I also have to consider the fact that this is planned as a series of five books so I need to plan those in advance (if only vaguely) before I can even start writing this. Plus this is a children's / young adult fantasy novel so there is a great deal of world-building involved and research that needs to go into that but I won't bore you with details.

Whilst I am incredibly secretive about the title and plot etc... I want to post updates here as to where I'm at even if for my own motivation. Now that I have finished university I feel as though I can start properly now that I don't have other things to write about.

At the moment I have all the chapters planned out and an idea for each chapter plus most of the main characters. I also have the titles for all 5 novels and an idea about what happens in each of them. It's strange because the third in the series is my absolute favourite yet I haven't begun writing the first so that's a weird feeling. Wish me luck!

Kate! 24-06-2019 03:10 PM

Good luck Riley

Nicky91 24-06-2019 03:35 PM

Good Luck and have fun Riley

Kazanne 24-06-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard. (Post 10587060)
I feel like I need motivation to write my novel that I have been slowly planning for like four years now. I only really put ideas down on paper about just less than a year ago now. I have a strong belief in the story, its premise and the characters have really come to life. What has stopped me is that I feel as though I haven't read enough to become a good writer so I don't know if my writing is up to scratch. As some of you know I used to write songs but that is completely different obviously and, my songwriting has taken a hit since I started this project. I also have to consider the fact that this is planned as a series of five books so I need to plan those in advance (if only vaguely) before I can even start writing this. Plus this is a children's / young adult fantasy novel so there is a great deal of world-building involved and research that needs to go into that but I won't bore you with details.

Whilst I am incredibly secretive about the title and plot etc... I want to post updates here as to where I'm at even if for my own motivation. Now that I have finished university I feel as though I can start properly now that I don't have other things to write about.

At the moment I have all the chapters planned out and an idea for each chapter plus most of the main characters. I also have the titles for all 5 novels and an idea about what happens in each of them. It's strange because the third in the series is my absolute favourite yet I haven't begun writing the first so that's a weird feeling. Wish me luck!

Good luck with it,it will be interesting to see how you progress

Tom4784 24-06-2019 06:39 PM

What I do is write an hour a day, even if you don't like what you're writing, just force yourself to get into the habit of actually writing down the story. Don't panic about getting it right the first time, that's what rewrites and drafts are for.

Mitchell 24-06-2019 07:05 PM

Good luck hun x

Strictly Jake 24-06-2019 07:10 PM

This makes me want to start my story writing again I was really into it when I was at school. I wanted to be an author but after high school I stopped. So already you have inspired me wizard riley

Wizard. 24-06-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate! (Post 10604128)
Good luck Riley

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 10604142)
Good Luck and have fun Riley

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10604165)
Good luck with it,it will be interesting to see how you progress

Thanks :love: there’s nothing to update atm because well, I haven’t done anything because of real life situations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10604371)
What I do is write an hour a day, even if you don't like what you're writing, just force yourself to get into the habit of actually writing down the story. Don't panic about getting it right the first time, that's what rewrites and drafts are for.

Yeah this definitely sounds like the best way! As long as the story is there I can reword and rephrase things after even if it is painful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell (Post 10604393)
Good luck hun x

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShakeyJake10 (Post 10604400)
This makes me want to start my story writing again I was really into it when I was at school. I wanted to be an author but after high school I stopped. So already you have inspired me wizard riley

Thank you! And you definitely should give it a go Jake!

Tony Montana 24-06-2019 07:36 PM

Good luck, Wizard! You'll smash it! :love:

Ammi 24-06-2019 07:38 PM

...as the saying goes and as Dezzy has said...you can always edit a bad page but you can’t edit a blank page...and it’s all about just getting it down on the first write, the edits will come later...you have your story/your characters and a whole series...so it’s just a discipline thing of focusing each day because each day you write will be a good writing day...good luck you, I believe in you and that those stories will get written...:hug:..