ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Calls for vile jo brand to be arrested for sick comment. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357766)

parmnion 14-06-2019 09:13 AM

Calls for vile jo brand to be arrested for sick comment.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/928584...ttack-victims/

chuff me dizzy 14-06-2019 09:19 AM

Something needs to happen to her, surely she cannot get away with inciting acid attacks ?

Vicky. 14-06-2019 09:23 AM

Came in here expecting something similar to what she said about Thatcher..and everyone overexagerating it. But no, this really is gross. The BBC should not have aired the comments..they should know much better. And honestly..I cannot say this kind of 'joke' is uncommon among lefties right now. Its scared me a bit, how some seem to actually want proper violence and that rather than milkshakes thrown, and I can see it all progressing at some stage soon, given how applauded the people who are (technically..) committing assault are.

Kate! 14-06-2019 09:26 AM

Oh dear. She has stuffed herself good and proper by saying this. A terrible thing to say. I dislike some politicians immensely but would never wish this sort of thing upon them.

Liam- 14-06-2019 09:26 AM

Funny isn’t it, when racists try and incite racial hatred using ‘jokes’ they should be let off based on free speech and ‘sacred comedy’ and all that, but as soon as someone on the left makes a dark joke, it’s suddenly unacceptable and should be stopped, hypocrisy strikes again.

parmnion 14-06-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10591874)
Funny isn’t it, when racists try and incite racial violence using ‘jokes’ they should be let off based on free speech and ‘sacred comedy’ and all that, but as soon as someone on the left makes a dark joke, it’s suddenly unacceptable and should be stopped, hypocrisy strikes again.

Can you give some examples of this outlandish claim.

Niamh. 14-06-2019 09:32 AM

It was pretty bad tbf, crossed over from just a tasteless joke imo

Liam- 14-06-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10591883)

It was bad, I don’t agree with what she said, but listening to the actual recording of what she said and the context given, it was clearly meant as a joke on her behalf, just a very bad, tasteless one, something the right have been claiming that should be protected at all costs when it’s them and their friends getting in trouble for things they call ‘jokes’

What’s good for the goose and all that

chuff me dizzy 14-06-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10591883)

A step too far, I love a joke but this was certainly not funny

Jessica. 14-06-2019 09:41 AM

It's not funny, but she always makes horrible jokes like that, I never found her funny in the first place. I don't think it's something for her to be arrested for though, it's very obviously that it's not something that she actually meant.

Vicky. 14-06-2019 09:42 AM

Its not a joke to me, a joke is funny, this just came across spiteful and nasty. And both her and the BBC should know better than to do this. Especially now, as if someone does so this, it will be blamed on both her and the BBC too..and I really can see it all going further. As I have said a few times, it won't stay at milkshakes. Not sure if it will progress to acid mind, but it is going to get worse in some way.

I disagree she should be arrested because of this though, thats going a bit too far.

I also see where liam is coming from, 'its just a joke' is used to defend all manner of vile things said, when its someone you like telling the 'joke'. Where if you dislike them, its not a joke, they should be arrested and serve a life sentence. Some don't do this, but it seems common.

-Awaits jacks essay about how no topic should ever be offlimits in comedy-

parmnion 14-06-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10591888)
It was bad, I don’t agree with what she said, but listening to the actual recording of what she said and the context given, it was clearly meant as a joke on her behalf, just a very bad, tasteless one, something the right have been claiming that should be protected at all costs when it’s them and their friends getting in trouble for things they call ‘jokes’

What’s good for the goose and all that

Can you give an example of "the right" or "the racists" as you described them firstly...can you give an example where they have urged someone be disfigured for simply being a politician offering different views.

And please actually click the link as it is acid attack victims urging for her to be arrested, not anyone political minded

Kazanne 14-06-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam- (Post 10591874)
Funny isn’t it, when racists try and incite racial hatred using ‘jokes’ they should be let off based on free speech and ‘sacred comedy’ and all that, but as soon as someone on the left makes a dark joke, it’s suddenly unacceptable and should be stopped, hypocrisy strikes again.

This isn't about race it's about Jo Brands tasteless 'joke' I don't know why the BBC aired it tbh, the other guy got sacked that made the 'joke' about Megans baby,this is another step too far in so called 'comedy'

bitontheslide 14-06-2019 09:53 AM

it's all about context. Jo Brand was on a comedy show where controversy is the norm. The more controversial the better. That shouldn't be then taken out of that context and used to beat her up.

arista 14-06-2019 10:04 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D87ZS5jXkAEFeuZ.jpg

I posted this also
on the EU thread.

Liam- 14-06-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10591896)
This isn't about race it's about Jo Brands tasteless 'joke' I don't know why the BBC aired it tbh, the other guy got sacked that made the 'joke' about Megans baby,this is another step too far in so called 'comedy'

I know it’s not about race, I just used it as an example of the hypocrisy

arista 14-06-2019 10:08 AM

The Radio 4 Show was pre-recorded
and added canned laughter.

The BBC are silly to stick up for her.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/11391...g&name=600x314
a week ago she did Have I Got News For You

Cherie 14-06-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10591904)
it's all about context. Jo Brand was on a comedy show where controversy is the norm. The more controversial the better. That shouldn't be then taken out of that context and used to beat her up.

I think in the current climate it is reckless, I don't care how controversial the programme is meant to be, 'jokes' like this cross the line

parmnion 14-06-2019 10:10 AM

I wonder what danny baker is making of it all.

Liam- 14-06-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10591892)

I also see where liam is coming from, 'its just a joke' is used to defend all manner of vile things said, when its someone you like telling the 'joke'. Where if you dislike them, its not a joke, they should be arrested and serve a life sentence. Some don't do this, but it seems common.

Exactly and it’s most commonly the people that call people ‘snowflakes’ for calling out racism and general bigotry, yet as soon as the boot is on the other foot, it’s a completely different story, I think as people we need to start being more consistent and honest.

arista 14-06-2019 10:13 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9A4bHPW4AADeEo.jpg

arista 14-06-2019 10:14 AM

Denver 14-06-2019 10:15 AM

Where were everyone when the blacks were attacked? It's just people backing a cause for the sake of it and wanting to waste police time really?

Also funny how everyone wanting her to spend her life in prison are the same people who kicked up a fuss over Tommy Robinson be arrested for his many many crimes

arista 14-06-2019 10:16 AM

Vicky. 14-06-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10591919)
The Radio 4 Show was pre-recorded

Oof, that makes it even worse of the BBC as it will have been reviewed before going on air, horrific decision making :/