ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Disney refuses to let grieving dad put Spider-Man image on four-year-old son’s grave (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358990)

Oliver_W 06-07-2019 09:10 AM

Disney refuses to let grieving dad put Spider-Man image on four-year-old son’s grave

Quote:

Disney refuses to let grieving dad put Spider-Man image on four-year-old son’s grave to preserve character’s ‘innocence’

Ollie Jones, who died from a rare genetic disease, was Spider-Man mad and his dad Lloyd, 36, wanted to honour his son’s memory.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...7112.jpg?w=620

Mr Jones, from Maidstone, Kent, had wanted to put an etching of the superhero on his son’s gravestone but the huge US corporation, which posted revenues of £47.2billion in 2018, has refused permission.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...2350.jpg?w=620

The film giant said it wanted to preserve Spider-Man’s “innocence”.

Mr Jones initially approached Maidstone Council about the etching but was told he would have to contact the copyright owners - which ultimately led to Disney denying his request.

Mr Jones said Disney did not want its characters associated with death.

A representative from The Walt Disney Company’s permissions department wrote: “We extend our sincere condolences. If we played a small part in Ollie’s happiness we are honoured.

“Generations of fans have responded to our characters with the same wonder and delight that Ollie did. In fact, many believe the characters to be real.

“We have striven to preserve the same innocence and magic around our characters that brought Ollie such joy.

“For that reason, we follow a policy that began with Walt Disney himself that does not permit the use of characters on headstones, cemetery or other memorial markers or funeral urns."

The father of six said: “I really wasn’t expecting this – it’s another massive blow. I felt sure they would allow it.”

He added: "I think this is all about money. Ollie's last holiday was at Disneyland. He loved Spider-Man and we had bought him all the toys.

"But now he has died and we won't be spending any more money, they don't care."

Ollie died in December last year from genetic disorder leukodystrophy, which affects the brain and nervous system.

His six-year-old sister Laillah also suffers from the same disorder.

Ollie’s funeral procession in Maidstone, Kent, was led by someone dressed as Spider-Man and the character was on his coffin, too.

Uncle Jason Jones, 37, said: “This meant everything to us. My brother’s life has been shattered, it has shattered the whole family.

“We can’t move on until we have his headstone done – Spider-Man was Ollie’s entire life. He loved it so much.

“I didn’t expect it to be an issue – my funeral director, who’s also my friend called me and told me they can’t do it. I thought he was joking at first.

“We understand copyright but I don’t see why Marvel would have any issues with this.”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/944145...e-ollie-jones/

Stan Lee and Walt would be ashamed.

arista 06-07-2019 09:37 AM

Its a Hard Corporation.

Withano 06-07-2019 10:21 AM

They own Spider-Man but they don’t own red faces with vertical and horizontal lines on it. The grieving dad should get a bit creative I think.

Kazanne 06-07-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver_W (Post 10617554)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/944145...e-ollie-jones/

Stan Lee and Walt would be ashamed.

Miserable barstewerts:fist:

Jessica. 06-07-2019 10:34 AM

I think it's fair, tbh, a spiderman themed grave stone is a bit out there. He could put some kind of spiderman trinket at the grave.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 06-07-2019 10:39 AM

Scum!

Wizard. 06-07-2019 10:40 AM

And what if he did it anyway? Surely they wouldn't rip it up, and taking legal action would hurt their image further. I would do it.c

Toy Soldier 06-07-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard. (Post 10617606)
And what if he did it anyway? Surely they wouldn't rip it up, and taking legal action would hurt their image further. I would do it.c

Local council would probably remove it themselves, heartless bastardos.

Their best option is probably to buy some sort of official merchandise that's weather-proof and then affix it to the base of the headstone themselves.

Vicky. 06-07-2019 11:44 AM

A bit harsh..it wont affect them (or their revenue) in any ****ing way so I cannot see any real reason for refusal.

As if having a kids headstone with his favourite character threatens spidermans 'innocence' :umm2:

Cherie 06-07-2019 11:47 AM

"preserve spidermans innocence? given he could cover the grave with merchandise that seems a bit of an odd excuse

Toy Soldier 06-07-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10617661)
"preserve spidermans innocence? given he could cover the grave with merchandise that seems a bit of an odd excuse

Exactly; toys and other merchandise on children's headstones is a pretty common occurrence... the "not wanting to be associated with death" excuse seems more than a little suspect.

IMO the real reason is that they don't want actual themed headstones to become "a trend".

bitontheslide 06-07-2019 12:27 PM

it's obviously a corporate response rather than an personal one. Heartless

Vicky. 06-07-2019 12:29 PM

Maybe, but I dn't really get why it would affect disney if themed headstones DID become a trend tbh. They could start selling headstones...or chaging for the right to have a character ( :bored: ) on a kids headstone, another revenue stream for them

Toy Soldier 06-07-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 10617698)
Maybe, but I dn't really get why it would affect disney if themed headstones DID become a trend tbh. They could start selling headstones...or chaging for the right to have a character ( :bored: ) on a kids headstone, another revenue stream for them

That's the problem, though... they wouldn't want to sell them or charge for the image rights because obviously the press would be all over that ("Disney profiting from childrens deaths") so it would always be 3rd parties. You'd think for something like this they'd make an exception, though. THANKFULLY it's only a small percentage of headstones that are for children, and many people will still opt for traditional headstones, it's not like they're going to be appearing everywhere.

Tom4784 06-07-2019 01:51 PM

A heartless and idiotic move by Disney that will inevitably blow up in their face if this story gets bigger. Whoever made this decision should get sacked for being dumb and risking a huge PR backlash for nothing.

Vicky. 06-07-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10617739)
That's the problem, though... they wouldn't want to sell them or charge for the image rights because obviously the press would be all over that ("Disney profiting from childrens deaths") so it would always be 3rd parties. You'd think for something like this they'd make an exception, though. THANKFULLY it's only a small percentage of headstones that are for children, and many people will still opt for traditional headstones, it's not like they're going to be appearing everywhere.

Yeah I know, second bit was a bit glib, considering the topic.

Just a really awful decision in general, with no reasoning that stands up to scrutiny.

Edit. Oh, missed the bit about they don't allow their products on urns either..how ridiculous..urns are something that the family keep in their house, not something public!

Northern Monkey 06-07-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10617653)
Local council would probably remove it themselves, heartless bastardos.

Their best option is probably to buy some sort of official merchandise that's weather-proof and then affix it to the base of the headstone themselves.

Exactly what i thought.

Heartless bastards.

arista 06-07-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10617775)
A heartless and idiotic move by Disney that will inevitably blow up in their face if this story gets bigger. Whoever made this decision should get sacked for being dumb and risking a huge PR backlash for nothing.

Its their ©
maybe he should have asked permission first.

bitontheslide 06-07-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 10617861)
Its their ©
maybe he should have asked permission first.

he did

arista 06-07-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 10617863)
he did

Well then he is stuck
sadly

Ammi 06-07-2019 08:57 PM

...as much as the headstone wasn’t allowed, I did think their words to his family were lovely and very caring...as was the offer to commemorate one of their treasured fans...RIP Ollie Jones..:lovedup:..

“Although we cannot grant the family’s request, we would be pleased to commemorate your nephew with a hand-inked, hand-painted, personalised celluloid that recognises his love for Spider-Man, which will read: ‘For your _______ (nephew’s name), Thank you for letting us share in the magic of your life. Your friends at the Walt Disney Company.

“We feel privileged to have had him as a fan.’”

iRyan 06-07-2019 08:59 PM

Vile and heartless

Cal. 06-07-2019 10:14 PM

I swear I’ve seen Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs gravestones before :(

Maybe that is just the family doing it themselves

Seems heartless. I saw a child’s coffin on Twitter the other day decorated with Paw Patrol characters.