ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   TV Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Marianne (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361446)

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 20-09-2019 10:13 PM

Marianne

I started watching this tonight in english and the dubbing (is that what it’s called idk) is terrible :(

It’s really scary though so i’m gonna stick with it

Tom4784 20-09-2019 10:21 PM

I can't stand watching dubs of live action shows, it completely disrupts the actor's performance and takes me out of the show.

I'll get around to watching the subbed version at some point.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 21-09-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10681256)
I can't stand watching dubs of live action shows, it completely disrupts the actor's performance and takes me out of the show.

I'll get around to watching the subbed version at some point.

I’d do this too but i cba reading

Toy Soldier 22-09-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullen Girl (Post 10681339)
I’d do this too but i cba reading

I find that after about 15 mins or so I "forget" that I'm reading when watching with subtitles. It's a strange phenomenon really.

But yes I agree with Dezzy; even top-tier dubbing takes something away from the performances and storytelling. My father in law watches "Dark" dubbed into English. Just so wrong. It alters the feel of the entire setting and atmosphere of the show.

Tbh even things like Chernobyl which are obviously filmed in English in the first place, as much as I enjoyed it, I think I'd have preferred it to be in the authentic languages and dubbed :shrug:. There's something jarring about people walking around speaking with English accents in what is clearly a very Soviet setting.

Tom4784 22-09-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10682007)
I find that after about 15 mins or so I "forget" that I'm reading when watching with subtitles. It's a strange phenomenon really.

But yes I agree with Dezzy; even top-tier dubbing takes something away from the performances and storytelling. My father in law watches "Dark" dubbed into English. Just so wrong. It alters the feel of the entire setting and atmosphere of the show.

Tbh even things like Chernobyl which are obviously filmed in English in the first place, as much as I enjoyed it, I think I'd have preferred it to be in the authentic languages and dubbed :shrug:. There's something jarring about people walking around speaking with English accents in what is clearly a very Soviet setting.

In my head, when people speak in english accents, I assume it's like the Tardis in Dr Who and that they are speaking their own language but to us it's english. I actually find it more offputting when a show has them speak in the accent since I'd think 'Why are these Russian people speaking english to each other? Why aren't the just speaking russian?' Having the accent makes me think they're just choosing to speak english.

MB. 22-09-2019 05:01 PM

I thought this was going to be about Marianne Williamson

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 22-09-2019 09:02 PM

Ep 5 is so sad omg :(

And sharon van etten playing at the end

https://i.imgur.com/RJw3SKl.jpg

Toy Soldier 23-09-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10682010)
In my head, when people speak in english accents, I assume it's like the Tardis in Dr Who and that they are speaking their own language but to us it's english. I actually find it more offputting when a show has them speak in the accent since I'd think 'Why are these Russian people speaking english to each other? Why aren't the just speaking russian?' Having the accent makes me think they're just choosing to speak english.

Oh yeah I agree with that - no 80's style English-with-a-fake-Russian-accent... I meant I think I'd have preferred them to cast actual Russians / Ukrainians and have it subtitled.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 24-09-2019 09:19 AM

I finished this last night the ending was trash

Spoiler:

i can’t believe they built marianne up as some scary badass bitch over the course of 8 eps then when they “revealed” her she looked like some edgy teenage girl with a serial killer tumblr blog

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 24-09-2019 07:25 PM

wHY IS NOBODY WATCHING THIS

Tom4784 24-09-2019 07:28 PM

I think I might start it tonight.