ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech, Movies & Video Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Favourite Spider-Man actor? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361926)

Oliver_W 11-10-2019 02:20 PM

Favourite Spider-Man actor?

Tom Holland
https://images.ladbible.com/thumbnai...y=70&width=720

Andrew Garfield
https://images.forwardcdn.com/image/...1499356488.jpg

Tobey Maguire
https://memegenerator.net/img/images...00/9792183.jpg

Niamh. 11-10-2019 02:21 PM

The Tobey Maguire picture :laugh2:

I hated Tobey as Spiderman so I'd go :

Tom
Andrew

Tobey

Liam- 11-10-2019 02:26 PM

Tom, no question

Owoaje1993 11-10-2019 02:27 PM

Tom is the only good one

Tom4784 11-10-2019 02:49 PM

Tobey was a good Peter Parker but a poor Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield was a great Spider-Man but he was never believable as the geeky character that Peter Parker's meant to be.

Tom Holland has the best balance between the two sides of the character, I think.

Toy Soldier 11-10-2019 02:57 PM

The OG Spider-man films (the first two anyway) are great but the worst thing about them is Tobey's take on Spider-man... and I can't help but think that if you had those films exactly as they are but with Holland as the lead they would be better... so really it has to be Tom Holland.

Also part of my End-game musings the other day: Is Tony Stark essentially the new Spider-man's Uncle Ben? Has Uncle Ben ever been mentioned? I don't think he exists for MCU Spider-man. Even with the Aunt May / Happy relationship in the last one, I got more of a "not into long term relationships" vibe from May than a "Widowed" vibe so I reckon there has just never been an Uncle Ben and Holland-man was "father figureless" until Tony. Tony is also the character who has taught him that "power comes with responsibility" - even though he never said it in so many words.

Also - and what made it sort of clear that this might be the case - was Peter being one f the first on the scene when Tony was dying, and it reminded me of the Uncle Ben death scenes that both Macguire and Garfield had, that current Spidey has never had.

Tony Montana 11-10-2019 02:57 PM

It always switches between them for me tbh. Tom looks the most like the comic character. As much as I love them, both Andrew and Tobey were both adults at the time of their first appearance. Andrew and Tom's Spider-Men were the most accurate to the comics, in being the sarcastic joker types. Tobey's Spider-Man was always serious and while good, wasn't faithful to the comics.

Tom's Spider-Man is good, although I can't help but feel like he's just Iron Man junior. Him being such a fanboy of Stark is annoying. Tobey and Andrew's Spider-Men were independent and didn't have to rely on anyone.

Toy Soldier 11-10-2019 03:01 PM

https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploa...V_09-06-18.jpg

Actual best Spider-man though, I'd have him in my ear for 50+ hours again any time :flutter:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Montana (Post 10693643)
Tom's Spider-Man is good, although I can't help but feel like he's just Iron Man junior. Him being such a fanboy of Stark is annoying. Tobey and Andrew's Spider-Men were independent and didn't have to rely on anyone.

I don't feel like he's "Full Spider-man" at all yet though... post high-school etc, and having faced at least one of his major villains, which they seem to be holding back on thus far.

Niamh. 11-10-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10693642)
The OG Spider-man films (the first two anyway) are great but the worst thing about them is Tobey's take on Spider-man... and I can't help but think that if you had those films exactly as they are but with Holland as the lead they would be better... so really it has to be Tom Holland.

Also part of my End-game musings the other day: Is Tony Stark essentially the new Spider-man's Uncle Ben? Has Uncle Ben ever been mentioned? I don't think he exists for MCU Spider-man. Even with the Aunt May / Happy relationship in the last one, I got more of a "not into long term relationships" vibe from May than a "Widowed" vibe so I reckon there has just never been an Uncle Ben and Holland-man was "father figureless" until Tony. Tony is also the character who has taught him that "power comes with responsibility" - even though he never said it in so many words.

Also - and what made it sort of clear that this might be the case - was Peter being one f the first on the scene when Tony was dying, and it reminded me of the Uncle Ben death scenes that both Macguire and Garfield had, that current Spidey has never had.

ohhh good observations, I never even noticed the absence of Uncle Ben, you could be onto something there

Tom4784 11-10-2019 03:04 PM

I'm pretty sure I read that they've purposely downplayed Uncle Ben in this version because the other two takes covered that origin story extensively.

Eddie. 11-10-2019 03:06 PM

Tobey actually but I think that has to do more with nostalgia factor for me...

Tobey > Tom > Andrew

James 11-10-2019 03:11 PM

Peter's suitcase in Far from Home had Uncle Ben's initials on it.

I'd say Tobey and Tom Holland are about equal in portrayal*, but Spider-man 1+2 is combined better than Homecoming + Far from Home?

I watched the Andrew Garfield ones recently and thought they were underrated - I'd heard they were terrible. They were obviously influenced by Twilight and other YA adaptions.

*Though I don't think I've ever read a DC or Marvel comic-book so I don't know what the character is supposed to be like. Asterix, Tintin, The Beano and Dandy were the comics I read when I was young.

Tony Montana 11-10-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10693648)
I don't feel like he's "Full Spider-man" at all yet though... post high-school etc, and having faced at least one of his major villains, which they seem to be holding back on thus far.

I agree. In his third film, they need to let him be independent. The fact that he's had a mentor/boss in both of his solo film lets him down and prevents him from becoming the definitive Spider-Man.

I hope they let him shine alone in his next film because, like Dezzy said, he's a perfect balance of Peter and Spider-Man.

Alf 11-10-2019 03:14 PM

Nicholas Hammond

Tony Montana 11-10-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 10693640)
Tobey was a good Peter Parker but a poor Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield was a great Spider-Man but he was never believable as the geeky character that Peter Parker's meant to be.

Tom Holland has the best balance between the two sides of the character, I think.

People didn't like that he was a skateboarder. :laugh:

RileyH 11-10-2019 03:29 PM

Tom, but I really like them all. Tobey's films are probs my faves

Oliver_W 11-10-2019 03:34 PM

I don't really use the comics as a comparison point - when it comes to comicbooks I much prefer DC, especially the Bat Family (surprising, right?!) and Teen Titans. I like JJ Abrahms Spider comic, but in general I just don't like Marvel comics.

I think Holland kind of had a "with great power comes great responsibility" - in Civil War he said something like "if something happens you could have stopped, it's your fault." It's got the same sentiment, but not as good.

Judging by Aunt May, Uncle Ben would probably have been somewhere in his early thirties - while people of that age can obviously be greatly influential to teenaged kids, I just find it hard to picture the same "great man" being anything but (nearly/) old. Would they even have been old enough to raise Peter for most of his life? Do we know how old Peter was when he moved in with her/them in the MCU?

Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superheroes ever made, and I really love the "world" of that trilogy. It's similar to the new Shazam movie I think.

Eddie. 11-10-2019 04:49 PM

Spider-Man 2 is such a great movie and is my favourite superhero movie of all time. Nothing can compare to that. :love:

Toy Soldier 11-10-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10693665)

I watched the Andrew Garfield ones recently and thought they were underrated - I'd heard they were terrible. They were obviously influenced by Twilight and other YA adaptions.

They were OK films, he just didn't make a very likeable Peter Parker which was a bit of an issue I think. He came across a little arrogant maybe?

However, Gwen at the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2... Honestly one of the funniest moments in cinema history. I didn't know it happened and didn't see it coming, and I actually HOOTED with laughter because it was so grim :worry:

Marsh. 11-10-2019 06:04 PM

Tobey Maguire. But probably because they're the only Spider-Man movies I actually enjoyed.