ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Netflix account sharing to be banned (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362117)

Denver 21-10-2019 02:36 PM

Netflix account sharing to be banned

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/netfli...s-who-20664135

Those found guilty will either be forced to pay more money or have the account removed permanently

Tom4784 21-10-2019 02:47 PM

How greedy. Netflix should not be pushing their luck when everyone and their mother are bringing out streaming services. Netflix's position is not set in stone.

Cherie 21-10-2019 02:58 PM

how annoying

Oliver_W 21-10-2019 03:02 PM

How petty. Crap like this pushes people to piracy.

Headie 21-10-2019 03:08 PM

This is about as achievable as the BBC preventing people from watching iPlayer without tv licenses. Doubt anything will change.

Oliver_W 21-10-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 10699400)
This is about as achievable as the BBC preventing people from watching iPlayer without tv licenses. Doubt anything will change.

When it comes to companies taking money, I think you'll find a lot is achievable, aha. The article says something about IP checking, so I guess they could IP-block accounts from address?

Marsh. 21-10-2019 03:10 PM

This won't work though.

How do you get around people watching on the go? On laptops when travelling around and moving house etc?

RileyH 21-10-2019 03:11 PM

this is ridiculous :skull:

Black Dagger 21-10-2019 03:16 PM

I thought that was the whole point of having multi screen. Why would I be watching something on 6 different screens at once?

Mystic Mock 21-10-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Dagger (Post 10699408)
I thought that was the whole point of having multi screen. Why would I be watching something on 6 different screens at once?

This.😬

Marsh. 21-10-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Very good point.

Toy Soldier 21-10-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

You're obviously allowed to have one account per household (e.g. It wouldn't be uncommon for both my kids to have different shows on their tablets, and us something on the TV)

Kizzy 21-10-2019 09:23 PM

Basts!

Denver 21-10-2019 09:24 PM

Why would anyone want to pay for others to use it anyway?

Niamh. 21-10-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10699513)

Maybe they go halves

Denver 21-10-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10699514)
Maybe they go halves

Go halves on the family subscription then

Kizzy 21-10-2019 09:28 PM

Maybe I just bum off my daughters account? ... I gave birth to her she owes me :idc:

Marsh. 21-10-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10699513)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10699515)
Go halves on the family subscription then

Obsessed with judging others on their own choices.

Denver 21-10-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 10699520)
Obsessed with judging others on their own choices.

Well yes the account is for one person only so for others to using it is morally and illegally wrong, stealing money from a company because you cant be assed to pay for yourself is wrong.

The millions they lose could be put to making better TV shows

Josy 21-10-2019 09:42 PM

Hmmm that's quite greedy of Netflix, people pay for the service and have always allowed a certain amount of users on one account so why now get greedy and want to charge for them :think:

I pay my account and some of my family members use it.

Josy 21-10-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan (Post 10699521)
Well yes the account is for one person only so for others to using it is morally and illegally wrong, stealing money from a company because you cant be assed to pay for yourself is wrong.

An account isn't for one person though? on one account you can have 5 or is it 6? different users, why allow that if its only for one person?, unless I'm already paying a family subscription and don't know about it :shrug: :joker:

Marsh. 21-10-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Well yes the account is for one person only so for others to using it is morally and illegally wrong

No it isn't. Accounts are for more than 1 screen which is more than one person. Do you watch up to 5 screens all at once Adam?

Nothing illegal about it. Your preaching is embarrassing.

James 21-10-2019 09:47 PM

I'm sure you will be able to use the same account on a certain number of devices in a house?

Firewire 21-10-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

It allows you to have more than one user though, so it's not illegally or morally wrong at all.

Cal. 21-10-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

There’s literally the option to pay for multi screens so this clearly isn’t true

Josy 21-10-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 10699528)
I'm sure you will be able to use the same account on a certain number of devices in a house?

Yeah you are allowed different devices.

I don't think this is actually anything they can enforce tbqh

Black Dagger 21-10-2019 09:57 PM

If I want to pay for my Mum and brother to use it why wouldn't I lol? They allow more than one profile. I let anybody use it if we are close (I took Ant off after he broke my heart mind x)

Barry. 21-10-2019 10:02 PM

So I won't be able to watch on the living room if it was on my bedroom TV?

Tom4784 21-10-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Adam, sweetie, let's not make out that Netflix are being hard done by when they're basically richer than God at this point. Let's not shill for gigantic corporations, shall we?

Netflix packages are designed for multiple people to use so let's not use this story as an excuse to sit on your high horse acting like the sole voice of reason and morality when, like Marsh has said, you just want an excuse to judge people. That's not very moral at all...

Ammi 22-10-2019 05:01 AM

...although there are some Netflix exclusives, I would find it quite easy to live a life without Netflix...I do find it a little over-rated...

Ramsay 22-10-2019 11:24 AM

Swear this comes up every few months and Everytime it's turned out to be bull****

arista 23-10-2019 11:47 PM

Toy Soldier 24-10-2019 08:38 AM

It's one account per household so they definitely can track it (or at least suspect it) if there's regularly more than one person on the account from wildly different locations, for example, my father in law used our Netflix account for a while when he was deciding whether or not he wanted it, and they live over 250 miles from us. He eventually got his own account anyway (as part of the fairly recent Sky package deal, I think) but... that would have been fairly easy to identify as multi-account-use.

If everyone using it lives fairly close together (i.e. same town) it'll be impossible to enforce, as there's no way to prove that the IP addresses logged aren't legitimate locations for the household members.

Toy Soldier 24-10-2019 08:41 AM

I do think it's a terrible plan though, especially as they have a tonne of competition entering the market in the next few years? It won't encourage most of the people account sharing to get their own account... it'll just result in more people torrenting/illegitimately streaming instead.

bitontheslide 24-10-2019 08:56 AM

they are only going to lose the customers that are not currently paying, so i'm all for it. The only way the content gets improved is if people pay rather than pirate it.

Niamh. 24-10-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 10700509)
It's one account per household so they definitely can track it (or at least suspect it) if there's regularly more than one person on the account from wildly different locations, for example, my father in law used our Netflix account for a while when he was deciding whether or not he wanted it, and they live over 250 miles from us. He eventually got his own account anyway (as part of the fairly recent Sky package deal, I think) but... that would have been fairly easy to identify as multi-account-use.

If everyone using it lives fairly close together (i.e. same town) it'll be impossible to enforce, as there's no way to prove that the IP addresses logged aren't legitimate locations for the household members.

For example, my daughter has a Netflix profile on her dads account that she used on her iPad. She lived with us the majority of the time but she did spend time in his house too, doesn't seem fair that she wouldn't be allowed to have a profile on his account