ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Italy Holocaust survivor Liliana Segre under guard amid death threats (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362453)

bitontheslide 07-11-2019 02:27 PM

Italy Holocaust survivor Liliana Segre under guard amid death threats

An 89-year-old Holocaust survivor in Italy has been assigned police guards for protection after receiving hundreds of threats on social media.

Liliana Segre, who was sent to the notorious Auschwitz death camp at 13, has been subjected to a barrage of anti-Semitic messages in recent days.

It comes after Ms Segre, an Italian life senator, called for parliament to establish a committee to combat hate.

The motion passed despite a lack of support by Italy's right-wing parties.

Members of the nationalist League party, led by Matteo Salvini, the centre-right Forza Italia and the far-right Brothers of Italy all abstained from the vote in Milan last week.

The motion called for the establishment of an extraordinary commission in Italy to combat all forms of racism, anti-Semitism, incitement to hatred and violence on ethnic and religious grounds.

Ms Segre said after the vote that the abstentions made her feel "like a Martian in the Senate".

"I appealed to the conscience of everyone and thought that a commission against hatred as a principle would be accepted by all," she said at the time, Italy's La Repubblica reported (in Italian).

Since then, she has reported receiving as many as 200 hate messages a day.

Some of the threats have been so serious that the prefect of Milan, Renato Saccone, held a meeting on Wednesday with the committee for security and public order, where it was agreed that Ms Segre needed police protection.

The measures that were approved include Ms Segre being accompanied in public by two paramilitary carabinieri officers.

Meanwhile, the Milan public prosecutor's office said it had opened an investigation into the hate messages targeting the senator and had requested the assistance of Italy's anti-terror police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50329597

Niamh. 07-11-2019 02:30 PM

Poor woman, after going through everything she did as a teenager too

Twosugars 07-11-2019 02:31 PM

Poor woman. Survived the nazis and now is threatened by neo-nazis!

Tom4784 07-11-2019 02:34 PM

Disgraceful, but sadly not unexpected. Nazism is on the rise once again and any politician that voted against the committee should be ashamed.

It's not a surprise to see a 'centre' party vote with extremists and nationalists, Centre is pretty much the right wing with a modicum of self awareness.

Livia 07-11-2019 03:37 PM

Disgraceful. But it's not more disgraceful because it is the far right. It's equally as disgraceful whether it's the far left or the far right.

Cherie 07-11-2019 03:51 PM

I've just been listening some poor woman in actual flood of tears due to what is going on in the UK at the moment, and fearful of Corbyn getting into power, how quickly we appear to have forgotton the Holocaust

arista 07-11-2019 03:53 PM

Good she now has Police Guards.

smudgie 07-11-2019 04:06 PM

That poor lady.
What an awful world we live in, when people thinks it’s ok to threaten somebody for their beliefs, especially at her age and after the hell she must have been through in the war.

Kizzy 07-11-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707254)
I've just been listening some poor woman in actual flood of tears due to what is going on in the UK at the moment, and fearful of Corbyn getting into power, how quickly we appear to have forgotton the Holocaust

It's an actual obsession... why is Corbyn even mentioned in a thread in which the topic is the far right in Italy?!
I'm sorry but it IS more disgraceful because us the far right because there is NO EVIDENCE of far left terrorism.
It's just dog whistle tactics, that are as shamefull as they are pathetic in their dishonesty!

Kizzy 07-11-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgie (Post 10707262)
That poor lady.
What an awful world we live in, when people thinks it’s ok to threaten somebody for their beliefs, especially at her age and after the hell she must have been through in the war.

I 100% agree Smudgie it's the most base of human that would terrorise such a corageous lady in her twilight years :(

Twosugars 07-11-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10707356)
It's an actual obsession... why is Corbyn even mentioned in a thread in which the topic is the far right in Italy?!
I'm sorry but it IS more disgraceful because us the far right because there is NO EVIDENCE of far left terrorism.
It's just dog whistle tactics, that are as shamefull as they are pathetic in their dishonesty!

Totally.

Maybe corbyn moonlights as Italian neo nazi? :laugh:

parmnion 07-11-2019 07:42 PM

Would be the far left in Britain.

So happy it's been highlighted in Europe. .imo it's time Britain started to open its eyes.

Cherie 07-11-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10707356)

I mentioned it because the woman in floods of tears was Jewish and mentioned him, so its totally in context kizzy, no need for the histrionics

Cherie 07-11-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twosugars (Post 10707369)
Totally.

Maybe corbyn moonlights as Italian neo nazi? :laugh:

No the Jewish woman in floods of tears lives in England so no need for him to move to Italy :hee:

parmnion 07-11-2019 07:54 PM

Must be an election coming up Cherie...

Cherie 07-11-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parmnion (Post 10707377)
Must be an election coming up Cherie...

I mean to accuse me of having an obsession about Corbyn....kizzy of all people :laugh: irony...what!

parmnion 07-11-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707379)
I mean to accuse me of having an obsession about Corbyn....kizzy of all people :laugh: irony...what!

Don't you like older men then:grin2:

Kizzy 07-11-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707375)
I mentioned it because the woman in floods of tears was Jewish and mentioned him, so its totally in context kizzy, no need for the histrionics

And why does the persecution of a Jewish lady by the far right in Italy make you think of Corbyn? ... it makes zero sense there is no comparison whatsoever.
I'm histrionic? ... I'm not the one making the most tenuous of links ever cherie :/

Kizzy 07-11-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707379)

Yes... I rarely speak of him yet his name comes up on every thread it's beyond bizarre.
Italian neo nazis ...grrr Corbyn
Surely I'm not the only one to have noticed this ridiculous trend?

Twosugars 07-11-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707376)
No the Jewish woman in floods of tears lives in England so no need for him to move to Italy :hee:

Did he issue death threats to her or what?

Kizzy 07-11-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 10707376)

How disgustingly disrespectful that you allude supporing Labour with forgetting about the Holocaust, have you any idea how insulting that is? .. I'm not responding to you in this thread any longer.
I find your comments rude and offensive.

Cherie 07-11-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10707415)
How disgustingly disrespectful that you allude supporing Labour with forgetting about the Holocaust, have you any idea how insulting that is? .. I'm not responding to you in this thread any longer.
I find your comments rude and offensive.

how awful for you kizzy

Cherie 07-11-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 10707397)
And why does the persecution of a Jewish lady by the far right in Italy make you think of Corbyn? ... it makes zero sense there is no comparison whatsoever.
I'm histrionic? ... I'm not the one making the most tenuous of links ever cherie :/

I happened to be listening to her the same time this was posted, so I linked two Jewish women and their current experiences, hardly tenuous kizzy, if you don't like it, then that's too bad

bitontheslide 08-11-2019 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twosugars (Post 10707401)
Did he issue death threats to her or what?

so does that mean that provided no death threats are issued, people can be as antisemitic as they like? Pretty silly argument

Shaun 08-11-2019 03:49 AM

Italy seems to be one of the most backwards and racist countries going at the moment, you need only pay 15 minutes attention to the football stories to see that.