ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Labour supporters / people who might vote Labour next time: who should become leader? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363520)

Shaun 13-12-2019 05:50 PM

Labour supporters / people who might vote Labour next time: who should become leader?

Names are already being thrown around like Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner, Jess Phillips, Emily Thornberry and Sadiq Khan... so who do you think would make the best candidate, and why?

If you're just going to troll about how the whole party is unelectable and "get over it blah blah blah" then just exit the thread and make a cup of tea and consider growing up x

UserSince2005 13-12-2019 05:51 PM

Sadiq Khan please, would love to see him humiliated like Jezza in 5 years time. And plus he needs to step down as mayor of my city as he is simple unfit to hold any position of power.

LeatherTrumpet 13-12-2019 05:56 PM

Andy Burnham always comes across well and is liked by the right on LBC. He seems to be able to connect with the right which is good going forward for Labour

Josy 13-12-2019 05:56 PM

Emily Thornberry would be a decent choice

Liam- 13-12-2019 05:57 PM

I think it will be Starmer, but I’d love Angela to take the position, she’s a wonderful political, with a great amount of passion and I think she could really speak to the working class again

Twosugars 13-12-2019 05:59 PM

Keir Starmer, Burnham, thornberry?

The Guardian picked a few here

Quote:

Emily Thornberry

The shadow foreign secretary has been faultlessly loyal to Jeremy Corbyn, despite not being as left-wing, and believes as a “girly swot” she is good at taking on Boris Johnson. In her acceptance speech in Islington South and Finsbury, she said: “The real fight has to begin now.”

Keir Starmer

The ferociously ambitious former director of public prosecutions has led the charge for remain in the shadow cabinet. He has held his Holborn and St Pancras seat since 2015 and been instrumental in shifting Labour’s position towards backing a second Brexit referendum.

Rebecca Long-Bailey

A close ally of the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, Long-Bailey has been groomed as a potential leftwing contender for the top job, who launched a slick video about her backstory during the campaign. The Salford MP and shadow business secretary performed well as a stand-in for Corbyn in leadership debates.

Angela Rayner

The shadow education secretary, a close friend of Long-Bailey’s, said in recent days she would like to support a Labour Brexit deal. She is regarded as a powerful public speaker and some senior Conservatives say they would fear her as an adversary.

Jess Phillips

The MP for Birmingham Yardley is a strong media performer who has built up a significant public profile from the backbenches. Corbyn-supporting Labour members are likely to be deeply suspicious of her, but she will argue that she can take on Johnson.

Lisa Nandy

The Wigan MP has built a reputation as a campaigner for her constituency and others like it, many of which have fallen to the Tories. She helped to create the Centre for Towns thinktank, and called for compromise over Brexit. She might be regarded by some as a compromise, soft-left candidate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...r-party-leader

Morgan. 13-12-2019 06:00 PM

Is Jess Phillips the one that was on Celebrity Bake Off? She’ll do!

MTVN 13-12-2019 06:01 PM

I don't fall into this bracket but for any realistic chance of success I think the new leader needs to:

- Appeal to both the north and middle England (probably needs to be a northerner first to win back those seats)
- Left wing enough to get the support of the membership, not too left wing to alienate the floating voter
- Ideally be a woman

Rebecca Long Bailey is the best bet imo

I would say no to any who are perceived to be too 'metropolitan' and London centric like Starmer, Sadiq or Thornberry

UserSince2005 13-12-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10733925)
I don't fall into this bracket but for any realistic chance of success I think the new leader needs to:

- Appeal to both the north and middle England (probably needs to be a northerner first to win back those seats)
- Left wing enough to get the support of the membership, not too left wing to alienate the floating voter
- Ideally be a woman

I would say no to any who are perceived to be too 'metropolitan' and London centric like Starmer, Sadiq or Thornberry

They should be an ethnic minority too.

Shaun 13-12-2019 06:04 PM

Andy is another good shout but I don't know if he's ever expressed an interest in the role.

I think Jess is good but she'd probably be seen as an easy target by media on account of her class/the way she communicates (I don't have a problem with it, obviously, but she is seen to be a bit of a media luvvie nowadays and that could be a problem).

Angela Rayner seems to be the one whose star factor is growing... but I don't know how to feel about her :shrug:

LeatherTrumpet 13-12-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10733925)

- Ideally be a woman

Rebecca Long Bailey is very good

smudgie 13-12-2019 06:24 PM

Caroline Flint.

Daniel-X 13-12-2019 06:49 PM

Angela Rayner is brilliant, such passion for her job and more ‘soft left’ which I think is needed for the Labour Party. Hard labour like JC just isn’t cutting it anymore unfortunately :(

I’d love Andy Burnham too but he’s been rejected so many times/is the Mayor of Manchester now so I don’t think he’ll be interested.

Jigs 13-12-2019 07:06 PM

I really like Emily Thornberry so maybe her?

LeatherTrumpet 13-12-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel-X (Post 10733966)
Angela Rayner is brilliant, such passion for her job and more ‘soft left’ which I think is needed for the Labour Party. Hard labour like JC just isn’t cutting it anymore unfortunately :(

I’d love Andy Burnham too but he’s been rejected so many times/is the Mayor of Manchester now so I don’t think he’ll be interested.

he is the mayor of manchester and he would not be interested in the leader of her majesties opposition?

Zizu 13-12-2019 07:27 PM

Layla Moran

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e9c3be7036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zizu 13-12-2019 07:38 PM

Edit .. Melanie Onn

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1c56a8879.jpg

Black Dagger 13-12-2019 07:40 PM

Jess would be a woeful choice.

Keir or Angela are the best bets.

Zizu 13-12-2019 07:42 PM

Edit Gloria de Piero
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...543c774de7.jpg

GoldHeart 13-12-2019 07:45 PM

I don't know much about the other potential candidates,but all I know is the next Labour leader will be treated badly again :bored:.

LaLaLand 13-12-2019 07:54 PM

Angela Rayner/Rebecca Long Bailey/Jess Phillips.

ANYONE but Keir Starmer OR Thornberry :skull:

Samm 13-12-2019 07:57 PM

I’d love either Rayner or Phillips, for more or less the same reason, Rayner is soft left and she just seems very likeable and can debate well. Phillips (I’ve met her and she’s brilliant) has such passion, and is a right character that the party needs, she also has that ‘backbone’ that people thought corbyn didn’t (which I don’t really agree with)

They’re both also not 100% remain or backed a 2nd reft that hard, which I feel is extremely important brexit hopefully will be a past subject by 2024 but will still feel very current, I’m saying this as a remainer myself but I feel like now we need to stick to leaving and go on with it, and get the best deal we possibly can (no deal is an absolute no however) that’s why I feel Starmer is a bad choice he’s very hard remain which won’t help at all.

LeatherTrumpet 13-12-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 10734001)
I don't know much about the other potential candidates,but all I know is the next Labour leader will be treated badly again :bored:.

As will all leaders as they should

LeatherTrumpet 13-12-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josy (Post 10733913)
Emily Thornberry would be a decent choice

Lol. She would be the actual worst

Cherie 13-12-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldHeart (Post 10734001)

You do realise Labour were in power for quiet some time, politics goes in cycles, its just the Torys turn, give it another 5/10 years and the blue wall will turn red, that's how it goes, unless they change the system of course :laugh: