ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How are you at dealing/speaking to tradesmen? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364583)

LeatherTrumpet 23-01-2020 09:24 AM

How are you at dealing/speaking to tradesmen?

ie I have 2 lads fitting a new boiler in the house

How are you at dealing/conversing when you have tradesmen (plumbers, chippies, carpet-fiters, repair-men, mechanics) round.

Can you get on fine with them, have a joke, a little light conversation

or

Are you awkward, intimidated, dont know what to say or how to say and kind of hide away and hope they leave soon?

https://www.ukselfstore.co.uk/wp-con...-3-600x600.jpg

Niamh. 23-01-2020 09:34 AM

Gavin worked in the building line for a really long time and is a qualified plasterer (although he doesn't do that now) and his dad is an electrician so it's really really rare we'd ever have anyone in to do something that Gavin or his dad couldn't do :laugh:

MTVN 23-01-2020 09:34 AM

Definitely the latter, a lot of them seem to have this assumption I'll know what they're on about when they start getting all technical about their trade and then make clear they think they're dealing with a moron when I give the inevitable blank face in response so I normally just do the compulsory cup of tea then give it the 'so I'll just let you crack on then yeah' to avoid any chit chat

My only hope otherwise is shifting the conversation to football or other sport where I can actually hold my ground

Kate! 23-01-2020 09:38 AM

Yes I can converse with them like a house on fire.

LeatherTrumpet 23-01-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 10761615)
Definitely the latter, a lot of them seem to have this assumption I'll know what they're on about when they start getting all technical about their trade and then make clear they think they're dealing with a moron when I give the inevitable blank face in response so I normally just do the compulsory cup of tea then give it the 'so I'll just let you crack on then yeah' to avoid any chit chat

My only hope otherwise is shifting the conversation to football or other sport where I can actually hold my ground

problem up here is that if they are football men and celtic fans that is where things get tricky

mind you the boiler is in smallest boy LTS room and on the door of the cupboard is a big Linfield poster so lets hope they are not Celtic fans and do a sh1t job

:worry:

Liam- 23-01-2020 09:39 AM

Leave them to it, offer them tea every now and then, thank them when they’re done

Kazanne 23-01-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10761613)
ie I have 2 lads fitting a new boiler in the house

How are you at dealing/conversing when you have tradesmen (plumbers, chippies, carpet-fiters, repair-men, mechanics) round.

Can you get on fine with them, have a joke, a little light conversation

or

Are you awkward, intimidated, dont know what to say or how to say and kind of hide away and hope they leave soon?

https://www.ukselfstore.co.uk/wp-con...-3-600x600.jpg

It depends if they give off a pleasant vibe, you know straight away if someone is going to be serious or jokey ,personally , I like a laugh and joke with them ,but if they are not up for that it's fine at least you know they are concentrating on their job :hee:Funnily enough LT ,I am currently waiting for BG to come and see to our boiler.

LeatherTrumpet 23-01-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10761623)
It depends if they give off a pleasant vibe, you know straight away if someone is going to be serious or jokey ,personally , I like a laugh and joke with them ,but if they are not up for that it's fine at least you know they are concentrating on their job :hee:Funnily enough LT ,I am currently waiting for BG to come and see to our boiler.

I recommend a Worcester Bosch

Kazanne 23-01-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10761627)
I recommend a Worcester Bosch

They are here now,I am sure that is what we have,but its been losing pressure, so needs sorting.Look at us talking about boilers,:laugh:

LeatherTrumpet 23-01-2020 10:06 AM

https://us.123rf.com/450wm/luislouro...hite.jpg?ver=6

Kaz was all of a fluster as the boiler engineers arrived

"hi... would you like a cup of cock, <splutter>, i mean TEA"

:omgno:

parmnion 23-01-2020 10:08 AM

Some people just never shut up, and are blind to the fact you are slowly edging your way out thier door as they continue to chunter on.

Marsh. 23-01-2020 10:23 AM

Depends. Some you can have a laugh with, others you just politely give them a drink and let them know you'll be downstairs/in the kitchen or whatever if they need you.

parmnion 23-01-2020 10:36 AM

I'm the one you can gave a laugh with, and a wee flirt at times.

Livia 23-01-2020 10:59 AM

My trick with tradesmen is, keep the tea and biscuits coming, don't be afraid to make them a bacon sandwich if they're there for a while (bacon sandwiches seem to be a great hit with tradesmen)... but do pull them up - sharply - if they're taking the piss.... but I don't find that happens often.

Livia 23-01-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 10761630)
https://us.123rf.com/450wm/luislouro...hite.jpg?ver=6

Kaz was all of a fluster as the boiler engineers arrived

"hi... would you like a cup of cock, <splutter>, i mean TEA"

:omgno:

LOL....

parmnion 23-01-2020 11:20 AM

Has someone just had the tv mem round..cause I've just left a house where the lovely old dear was on about this very subject..one coffee and 3 chocolate biscuits later she mentions the window cleaners get a bacon roll...I left in the huff.

thesheriff443 23-01-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10761614)
Gavin worked in the building line for a really long time and is a qualified plasterer (although he doesn't do that now) and his dad is an electrician so it's really really rare we'd ever have anyone in to do something that Gavin or his dad couldn't do :laugh:

We all know how gav got paid.

Niamh. 23-01-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 10761682)
We all know how gav got paid.

Paid to fix things in his own house? :idc:

Cherie 23-01-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 10761629)
They are here now,I am sure that is what we have,but its been losing pressure, so needs sorting.Look at us talking about boilers,:laugh:

boilers lose pressure and there is a way to do it yourself, ask them to show you as it may just need topping up

thesheriff443 23-01-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh. (Post 10761683)
Paid to fix things in his own house? :idc:

I’m not explaining the joke Niamh.

Cherie 23-01-2020 11:40 AM

Like Niamh we rarely have any in as Mr C is quite handy.

The electrican we use is lovely and we always have a great chat

If it's someone servicing the boiler, offer tea and leave them to it in the main

thesheriff443 23-01-2020 11:42 AM

If you are paying someone by the hour, you are paying them to eat and drink your food.

Most trades want to come in fix the problem and get home unless it’s an emergency plumber, then they want to set up home with you.

LeatherTrumpet 23-01-2020 11:42 AM

When i lived up in the valley we knew all the tradesmen as they all were from the village or a wee one nearbye. Now my eldest who still lives there gets all sorts of home jobs done by her pals or their dads. Her boyfriend is a spark so that is handy

Niamh. 23-01-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 10761687)
I’m not explaining the joke Niamh.

I'm not explaining mine either Sheriff

Josy 23-01-2020 12:00 PM

I blether away to them if they do the same, some are miserable bastards though.

Had a guy in earlier this morning fitting an extractor fan, I made him a latte and a cheese n ham roll and left him to it cos he looked crabbit as hell.