ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Spice Girls to reform within hours (and now they have). (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37525)

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 10:19 AM

Spice Girls to reform within hours (and now they have).

From www.metro.co.uk

It is 11 years since the Spice Girls exploded on to the pop scene with their first single Wannabe, and the lyric "zig-a-zig-ah".

Together Ginger, Posh, Baby, Scary and Sporty sold more than 55 million records.

The band formed after an advert appeared in The Stage magazine asking for girls that were "streetwise, ambitious, outgoing and determined".

Geri Halliwell, Victoria Adams, Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm and Michelle Stephenson were plucked from hundreds of applicants.

But Michelle was replaced in the band, then called Touch, by Emma Bunton (Baby Spice) almost immediately.

The group exercised their notorious "girl power" by replacing their manager and signing up with Simon Fuller, the pop svengali who is now masterminding their comeback.

Years later, they would also oust Fuller. The Spices got their nicknames in an interview with Top of the Pops magazine, and they soon caught on.

Wannabe, released in 1996, became the biggest-selling single by an all-female group. It was followed by a string of number ones, with songs like Say You'll Be There, and 2 Become 1.

Their debut album, Spice, made them the fastest-selling British act since the Beatles, and the band - particularly Geri Halliwell's Union flag dress - epitomised "Cool Britannia" in the aftermath of Labour's 1997 election victory.

The Spice Girls were also one of the few British bands to conquer the US.

Their 1997 movie, Spice World, earned the Spices a joint Razzie award for Worst Actress but was a huge box office draw.

They became one of the most marketed bands in history by endorsing a range of products, everything from deodorant to dolls and chocolate, to the tune of £5 million.

The band proclaimed Margaret Thatcher as the original Spice Girl, and generated headlines around the world when they met Nelson Mandela and the Queen.

Ginger Spice famously pinched the Prince of Wales's bottom at a Royal gala show.

After sacking Fuller, relations within the group hit a new low and there were constant rumours of a split.

After a run of six number one singles, Stop became the first not to make it to the top spot. Halliwell's lawyer shocked fans by announcing the flame-haired singer was quitting in May 1998.

She cited differences with the other band members, but added "PS I'll be back."

She had missed tour dates and the band's appearance on the National Lottery.

The group ploughed on, releasing a Christmas number one single Goodbye, in December 1998, which paid tribute to Ginger Spice.

But their third and last album Forever, released in 2000, was their first not to get to number one.

In 2001, after the remaining Spices had already turned their focus to their solo careers, one of the biggest band's of the nineties broke up.

Kristen 28-06-2007 10:24 AM

I am so hyper about this!
I love the 'Spice Girls' and continued to listen to their music even after they broke up.
I am ecstatic about this and can't wait to hear their music!

Princess 28-06-2007 10:54 AM

Wooo Spice Girls! I remember on 'An Audience with TT' back in December Mark asked Mel C when they were getting back together,I never actually thought they would!

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 11:02 AM

About 1 hour to the announcement now. They are over at the former Millennium dome.

Princess 28-06-2007 11:30 AM

Pictures

WENN

Getty

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 11:34 AM

Those pics from WENN are from Greenwich obsevatory with Canary Wharf in the background.

Princess 28-06-2007 11:37 AM

:conf: They work for me.

Princess 28-06-2007 11:40 AM

Heat

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 11:40 AM

They work for me too. :shrug:

mem 28-06-2007 11:41 AM

i couldnt care less

~Kizwiz~ 28-06-2007 11:42 AM

I love the spice girls but Posh spice looks emaciated....she is far too skinny

Princess 28-06-2007 11:45 AM

They're talking about it on Sky atm and they keep mentioning TT,woo.

x_mel_x 28-06-2007 12:42 PM

Ive just registered for tickets on the website i really want to go!!!

Psylocke 28-06-2007 12:52 PM

Ive registered too,im sure that there will be loads more dates added tho.
I bet my right ball on it

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 01:04 PM

From Sky News

Scary Stuff - The Spice Girls Are Back!
Updated: 13:50, Thursday June 28, 2007

After nine years apart, the Spice Girls reunited today to announce a global tour.

Rumours had been rife that Posh, Sporty, Ginger, Baby and Scary would perform at this weekend's Concert for Diana, but Mel C said the "time wasn't right".

The creators of Girl Power earlier had their first photoshoot to show off their new image.

The Spices posed at the Meridian line at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, south east London.

Article Farticle

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 01:04 PM

Psylocke 28-06-2007 01:07 PM

They all look great.

and WOW @ Vickys boobies

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 02:03 PM

Update from the above link I posted

After nine years apart, all the Spice Girls have reunited to announce a global tour - as a "thank you" to their fans.

After months of speculation, Victoria Beckham, Mel B, Mel C, Emma Bunton and Geri Halliwell finally announced a comeback tour.

Mel C, 33, (Sporty Spice) said of their reunion: "We wanted to say thank you to our fans. It just feels very right for us."

Rumours had been rife that they would perform at this weekend's Concert for Diana, but the band said they couldn't take the stage because Emma "Baby" Bunton is about to have her baby.

Victoria Beckham said there would be a creche on the tour to accommodate the seven Baby Spices the band members will have between them once Baby Spice gives birth.

Posh Spice, 33, said: "We're definitely going to have a huge creche. Our priority is going to be our families. We want to have fun.

"That's one of the many reasons for this, for our children to see what we used to do."

Halliwell said of the reunion: "Obviously it's nostalgic. But equally, if new fans want to come along, that's fantastic.

"I like to think our songs are universal and they are timeless. Hopefully, the young'uns will like it too."

The creators of Girl Power earlier had their first photoshoot to show off their new image.

The Spices posed at the Meridian line at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, south east London.

x_mel_x 28-06-2007 02:05 PM

Im so excited!!:dance2:

Psylocke 28-06-2007 02:09 PM

Cool,I watched it live,they all look great.

Riz 28-06-2007 02:18 PM

mel b looks gud dont she and wow posh!

Mrluvaluva 28-06-2007 02:20 PM

I was thinking Mel B looks really good when I was posting.

Billy 28-06-2007 03:11 PM

OMG when do tickets go on sale

Ruth*Star 28-06-2007 03:15 PM

OMG i'm excited, they were the first band i listened 2.

Psylocke 28-06-2007 03:42 PM

LOVE THEM.

Geri <3