ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Azeem Rafiq speaking about the widespread racism in cricket Live on Sky News now (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378822)

Zizu 16-11-2021 09:41 AM

Azeem Rafiq speaking about the widespread racism in cricket Live on Sky News now

Wow !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zizu 16-11-2021 09:47 AM

Not sure why the title isn’t showing Azeem Rafiq

MTVN 16-11-2021 10:39 AM

Cricket has always been pretty bad for being an old boys club which isn't very inclusive for people of other backgrounds, think this is revealing it's a lot worse than many people realised though. Bumble and Michael Vaughans media careers probably won't recover and lots more people will come out very tarnished from it all

Hopefully will be the catalyst for things to change because what he said about not wanting his son to play cricket now is pretty sad given how fanatical about the sport a lot of the South Asian community is

Zizu 16-11-2021 10:53 AM

Azeem Rafiq speaking about the widespread racism in cricket Live on Sky News now

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 11113554)
Cricket has always been pretty bad for being an old boys club which isn't very inclusive for people of other backgrounds, think this is revealing it's a lot worse than many people realised though. Bumble and Michael Vaughans media careers probably won't recover and lots more people will come out very tarnished from it all

Hopefully will be the catalyst for things to change because what he said about not wanting his son to play cricket now is pretty sad given how fanatical about the sport a lot of the South Asian community is

Well he gave a very powerful and emotional account of things for about 2 hours ... the part about his son was heart wrenching.

I’m thinking this will drive things forwards over the coming weeks .... he made it perfectly clear thar it wasn’t just a Yorkshire problem and mentioned name after name after name .

Cricket may never be the same again after this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro ok

Cherie 16-11-2021 11:12 AM

Unfortunately I missed his press conference, sounds shocking though

bitontheslide 16-11-2021 11:17 AM

i've been following it for a few weeks and it's staggering .... They did things like urinate on his head ... and the investigation recommended no further action was necessary ... it's just crazy

Niamh. 16-11-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11113559)
i've been following it for a few weeks and it's staggering .... They did things like urinate on his head ... and the investigation recommended no further action was necessary ... it's just crazy

That's absolutely disgusting

Cherie 16-11-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11113559)

what the hell, I hope they are all sacked

Zizu 16-11-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11113561)
what the hell, I hope they are all sacked

I can see this spreading like wildfire throughout the whole of UK cricket .. presumably resulting in many resignations at all levels of the clubs .

Thing is that will just create a vacuum and what’s to say all the new people will be any better ?

bitontheslide 16-11-2021 02:26 PM

here is my original post on it all, it provides a summary of the sequence of events .... to me it's mind blowing

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...d.php?t=378757

parmnion 16-11-2021 02:50 PM

He was very emotional this morning.

Cherie 16-11-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11113655)
here is my original post on it all, it provides a summary of the sequence of events .... to me it's mind blowing

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...d.php?t=378757

Yorkshire dont come out of that looking to good do they, they missed repeated deadlines and sent redacted paperwork

Mystic Mock 16-11-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 11113554)

That's true tbf about Cricket being an old boys club, sadly a lot of Sports are like this once you get away from Football and Rugby.

With Michael Vaughan's alleged comment, I really can't tell if it was intended as a joke about how good Asian players are at Cricket or if he genuinely was being a racist prick, that's if he really made the comment of course.

And like you I hope that change for the better on this issue will be happening within the Sport.

Zizu 16-11-2021 03:46 PM

It’s interesting that the speakers this morning could all name ‘names’ without fear of reprisals of something..

Yet whilst Azeem mentioned loads of people by name .. even Joe Root - who he says was a lovely , lovely guy who never joined in with the others but stood back and did nothing even though he was the captain .. when he told of the incident on his 15th birthday where he had red wine forced down his throat .. he didn’t name the guy just said he played for Hampshire and Yorkshire

Also another guy was giving his account of things and he mentioned names but when he told of the time someone demanded that the enquiry was dropped he didn’t mention HIS name he just referred to him as the CO .

Why were some people not named ?

arista 16-11-2021 03:48 PM

Yes it's sad.
And Very Wrong

arista 17-11-2021 01:29 AM

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...2_metro-nc.png

arista 17-11-2021 01:41 AM

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...uardian-nc.png

MTVN 17-11-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zizu (Post 11113706)
It’s interesting that the speakers this morning could all name ‘names’ without fear of reprisals of something..

Yet whilst Azeem mentioned loads of people by name .. even Joe Root - who he says was a lovely , lovely guy who never joined in with the others but stood back and did nothing even though he was the captain .. when he told of the incident on his 15th birthday where he had red wine forced down his throat .. he didn’t name the guy just said he played for Hampshire and Yorkshire

Also another guy was giving his account of things and he mentioned names but when he told of the time someone demanded that the enquiry was dropped he didn’t mention HIS name he just referred to him as the CO .

Why were some people not named ?

It'd be a bit different naming and shaming a youth player, they might not even have ever become a professional cricketer in the end

bitontheslide 17-11-2021 08:20 AM

some players will have taken out injunctions, i think thats why they arent able to mention some people

Zizu 17-11-2021 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 11113880)
It'd be a bit different naming and shaming a youth player, they might not even have ever become a professional cricketer in the end

Yeah but one of the main guys not named was playing for Yorkshire and Hampshire so it sounds like he’s more experienced - you may have a point though

Zizu 17-11-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 11113891)
some players will have taken out injunctions, i think thats why they arent able to mention some people

Wasn’t yesterday’s platform supposed to get around that though .. where they could name names with impunity ?

bitontheslide 17-11-2021 08:40 AM

No, anyone appearing can't be prosecuted for the actions that they did at the cricket club, but if someone took out an injunction against being named then they are breaking the law if they name them

Zizu 17-11-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zizu (Post 11113897)
Wasn’t yesterday’s platform supposed to get around that though .. where they could name names with impunity ?

Maybe that’s why he named two teams the guy played for so everyone could work out who it probably was

MTVN 18-11-2021 03:53 PM

Azeem Rafiq has apologised and said he is "deeply ashamed" for using anti-Semitic language in messages from 2011.

Former spinner Rafiq has spoken of his experiences of racism and bullying at Yorkshire and appeared at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee this week.

The 30-year-old said he had "absolutely no excuses" for the messages.

"I am incredibly angry at myself and apologise to the Jewish community," he said in a statement.

Rafiq said he had deleted the messages to not cause further offence.

"I have absolutely no excuses. I am ashamed of this exchange," he said.

"I was 19 at the time and hope and believe I am a different person today."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59338118

:omgno:

LeatherTrumpet 18-11-2021 03:54 PM

what a total farce

him on all media crying about the nasty names he got called and now this