ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Eight million households to get final £299 payment from today (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390017)

arista 06-02-2024 07:43 AM

Eight million households to get final £299 payment from today

[Eight million households to receive final cost
of living payment worth £299 from today

Eight million households on low incomes
will start to receive a £299 cost of
living payment from today.
Payments will be made across the UK between
now and 22 February by the
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
It is the third of up to three payments,
totalling a maximum of £900,
paid to eligible households on
means-tested benefits over 2023-24.

"With inflation falling we are providing
millions of the most vulnerable households
with another significant cash boost,"
said Mel Stride, the pensions secretary.]

https://news.sky.com/story/money-lat...-blog-13040934

Oliver_W 06-02-2024 09:19 AM

Hope it helps!

Soldier Boy 06-02-2024 09:38 AM

Know what bugs me in a really OCD way? The payment people got in Autumn was £301, and this one is £299.

WHY! :fist: it's annoying like... in the way that when you see someone's bathroom tiles, and they don't QUITE match up, but it's so close... just out by like 0.5mm... and you sit there in their bathroom pooping, but it's not even a satisfying poop because you were so focussed on the damn tiles. Why are they not both £300? Why £301 and £299?

Cherie 06-02-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier Boy (Post 11413489)
Know what bugs me in a really OCD way? The payment people got in Autumn was £301, and this one is £299.

WHY! :fist: it's annoying like... in the way that when you see someone's bathroom tiles, and they don't QUITE match up, but it's so close... just out by like 0.5mm... and you sit there in their bathroom pooping, but it's not even a satisfying poop because you were so focussed on the damn tiles. Why are they not both £300? Why £301 and £299?

it is done that way so that if the payment doesn't arrive the DWP can track which payment is missing

The slightly different payment amounts are to make it easier for DWP and HMRC to track which grants people have received in order to minimise fraud risk.

Gusto Brunt 06-02-2024 10:36 AM

£299 won't last long I bet.

arista 06-02-2024 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11413500)

It the Final amount of Cash Help

It is to be paid in from today to the 28th.

Cherie 06-02-2024 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11413500)

its £299 more than a lot of people will receive :shrug:

Gusto Brunt 06-02-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 11413506)
its £299 more than a lot of people will receive :shrug:

It should be £1,000 at least. This rubbish government throw billions upon billions down the lav or they give it away to other countries.

But when it comes to helping the UK poor and the low paid, they count the pennies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 11413504)
It the Final amount of Cash Help

It is to be paid in from today to the 28th.

It's helpful but it's not enough.

bitontheslide 06-02-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11413509)
It should be £1,000 at least. This rubbish government throw billions upon billions down the lav or they give it away to other countries.

But when it comes to helping the UK poor and the low paid, they count the pennies.

It's helpful but it's not enough.

how do you know it's not enough?

Oliver_W 06-02-2024 01:27 PM

I doubt people who are on their rudders will complain too strongly about "only" getting about £300.

Cherie 06-02-2024 02:26 PM

Like literally 8 million families have had a bonus of 900.00 not to many would turn their noses up at that, of course if could be more, but where do you draw the line?

thesheriff443 06-02-2024 02:35 PM

The government are allowing energy firms to make billions this is nothing more than hush money to those who will be drowning in bills

Soldier Boy 06-02-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesheriff443 (Post 11413536)
The government are allowing energy firms to make billions this is nothing more than hush money to those who will be drowning in bills

Indeed - and as large numbers of people will use the extra cash to pay energy bills... really it's just the govt handing billions to the energy giants via a middle-man.

The whole "cost of living crisis" is more accurately an energy crisis... that's what's driven increased costs across the board.

joeysteele 06-02-2024 10:04 PM

I agree with targeted help.
The bills are still at this point over 75% more than they were 2 years ago .
So if this help was needed the last 2 years
Then it's certainly going to be needed still through 2024/25.

Water and council tax are expected to rise this coming year.

If the government DON'T continue to help this year too
It will be almost like a suicide action on their part with an election looming.

It is also true, most have seen their energy costs go through the roof .
Who haven't had much in the way of help at all

Cherie 06-02-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 11413618)
I agree with targeted help.
The bills are still at this point over 75% more than they were 2 years ago .
So if this help was needed the last 2 years
Then it's certainly going to be needed still through 2024/25.

Water and council tax are expected to rise this coming year.

If the government DON'T continue to help this year too
It will be almost like a suicide action on their part with an election looming.

It is also true, most have seen their energy costs go through the roof .
Who haven't had much in the way of help at all

Yeah I think they did a better job this year than last year when everyone got money off their electric whether they needed it or not

Gusto Brunt 02-03-2024 06:11 AM

I was on TikTok yesterday and came across a guy in his 30s who is on benefits in the UK.

Him and his wife get £2,200 PER MONTH, and their £900 per month rent paid for in full.:shocked:

He listed all their outgoings, including the cost of running TWO cars, the FULL Sky Glass package over £100 per month, and £500 spent on food each month. All paid for by the tax payer. Those who actually go to work. :fist:

But wait for it, the reason he gets all this money and is on benefits, and is apparently 'unfit' for work is because he gets nervous at job interviews. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard that.

EVERYBODY gets nervous at job interviews.:fist:

My point is, as well as this massive free money they both get per month for doing f all, he will also be entitled to the cost of living payments.

A complete joke. :mad:

Soldier Boy 02-03-2024 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt (Post 11419706)
I was on TikTok yesterday and came across a guy in his 30s who is on benefits in the UK.

Him and his wife get £2,200 PER MONTH, and their £900 per month rent paid for in full.:shocked:

He listed all their outgoings, including the cost of running TWO cars, the FULL Sky Glass package over £100 per month, and £500 spent on food each month. All paid for by the tax payer. Those who actually go to work. :fist:

But wait for it, the reason he gets all this money and is on benefits, and is apparently 'unfit' for work is because he gets nervous at job interviews. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard that.

EVERYBODY gets nervous at job interviews.:fist:

My point is, as well as this massive free money they both get per month for doing f all, he will also be entitled to the cost of living payments.

A complete joke. :mad:

That's called "rage bait" and has played you like a fiddle my friend. The situation for most people on benefits is absolutely nothing like that.

Betman 02-03-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier Boy (Post 11413489)

It's so the DWP system can tell who had the payments.