ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do you think dangerous sports should be played in schools? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77751)

BBkid 24-12-2008 09:57 AM

Do you think dangerous sports should be played in schools?

I was reading the newspaper a couple of weeks ago and I saw that a boy from my old school had died after being hit in the head by a hockey ball while doing a training drill. It said that he was knocked out and rushed to hospital immediatey, but still it was too late. I was good friends with this boy and am annoyed that schools play dangerous sports without protection like helmets. I have even been knocked out before while playing hockey and it put me off a bit. What do you think about it?

LemonJam 24-12-2008 10:01 AM

The chances of dying in sport are very slim as long as you play carefully.

As much as I despise most sports (mainly team sports, I'm not a team player) students need to learn about sport and excercise at least once a week, so it shouldn't be cancelled.

RIP to your friend. :sad:

BBkid 24-12-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LemonJam
The chances of dying in sport are very slim as long as you play carefully.

As much as I despise most sports (mainly team sports, I'm not a team player) students need to learn about sport and excercise at least once a week, so it shouldn't be cancelled.

RIP to your friend. :sad:
Yes they are slim but when your school gives you the opportunity to do 8 sports lessons/activities a week (each for 90 mins) and 4 at the least then it is a larger chance. I think there should be more protection in such sports.

Sam1994 24-12-2008 10:08 AM

I don't really understand how you can get knocked out by a hockey ball? It doesn't exactly go very high when you hit it. If people play the game safe then there should be no need for helmets.

BBkid 24-12-2008 10:11 AM

Trust me Sam1994 it is actually quite hard to keep it on the ground most of the time and injuries are quite common in sports with hard balls (I don't mean to sound rude lol) like cricket, hockey, even things like basketball and rounders, baseball... the list goes on.

Firewire 24-12-2008 10:12 AM

A long time ago a PE teacher got a javelin through her shoulder.

Sam1994 24-12-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BBkid
Trust me Sam1994 it is actually quite hard to keep it on the ground most of the time and injuries are quite common in sports with hard balls (I don't mean to sound rude lol) like cricket, hockey, even things like basketball and rounders, baseball... the list goes on.
It's just I've never heard of an injury in hockey before.

Lewis. 24-12-2008 10:21 AM

I hate Pe. :shrug:

Firewire 24-12-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lewiis.Xx
Same.

Lewis. 24-12-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Firewire
Quote:

Same.
It is too much of an effort!

TheMac 24-12-2008 10:30 AM

I LOVE PE!

BBkid 24-12-2008 10:39 AM

Yeah, you've got to love PE! It's the best lesson (also can be the most dangerous).

Fom 24-12-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

I was reading the newspaper a couple of weeks ago and I saw that a boy from my old school had died after being hit in the head by a hockey ball while doing a training drill. It said that he was knocked out and rushed to hospital immediatey, but still it was too late. I was good friends with this boy and am annoyed that schools play dangerous sports without protection like helmets. I have even been knocked out before while playing hockey and it put me off a bit. What do you think about it?
I read that in the paper!
I played the roughest sports at school, Rugby, 'Softball' (Which wasn't soft at all), Cricket, Hockey. But they are only dangerous if someone is being stupid.

Sam! 24-12-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fom
Quote:

I played the roughest sports at school, Rugby, 'Softball' (Which wasn't soft at all), Cricket, Hockey. But they are only dangerous if someone is being stupid.
Softball aint dangerous :| I love Softballl!

TheMac 24-12-2008 12:09 PM

Softball isn't dangerous. The worst thing I've seen in softball was some idiot throwing the bat thing back at the backstop guy, and it hitting him in the chest.

Fom 24-12-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scampi
Quote:

Originally posted by Fom
Quote:

The balls we used in school were huge and rock hard. And we had this massive metal bar that with one stupid swing someone got very hurt. I hated that game, always left it bruised haha.

Tom 24-12-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scampi
Quote:

Originally posted by Fom
Quote:

They were, someone broke their finger on one because of the force they caught it with :joker:

Anyway I think dangerous sports should be played but you should be allowed to opt out and do something boring like running or something, or go and do theory. I don't agree with opting out of PE.

bigknowse 24-12-2008 07:11 PM

Yes, there should be jousting. With unbroken horses for added spice.

BBkid 24-12-2008 07:55 PM

Yeah, softball is very dangerous and the ball is rock hard.:mad::nono:

TheMac 24-12-2008 08:05 PM

FFS, of course these sports should be played in school. Softball and hockey are not dangerous sports at all, wait until you start playing ice hockey and american football before you call those sports dangerous.

melanie 24-12-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mr_mitb
I LOVE PE!
:thumbs2:

I think everything you do can be dangerous. I was knocked unconscious with a basketball, stepped on by spiky rugby shoes and yesterday I was almost blinded by the snow that fell on my head while I was walking my dog. I agree that the school should provide helmets though.

TheMac 24-12-2008 08:36 PM

Knocked unconscious by a basketball? May I ask how?

Xander 24-12-2008 08:42 PM

If these sports were too dangerous they wouldn't be allowed.
As long as you play sensibly, follow the rules and don't muck about then I can't see any danger. Accidents do happen but thats usually down to someone being completely careless. There are rules for a reason. :wink:

pinkmichk 24-12-2008 09:09 PM

of course they should be played accidents are very rare although do happen
i have seen in past a friend hit on head by cricket ball and someone in my class at school jabbed himself in the back of the leg with a javelin
i used to play hockey for my school and never heard of someone being injured by the ball sticks yes running into someone else yes but never a ball
also when i was at school when we played rugby girls had to play touch rugby so rather than tackling someone you had to touch on their hips but most of us wanted to play the proper way

letmein 25-12-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

And we wonder why the UK has one of the highest obesity rates in the Western world. :whistle: