BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes but if those lynch mobs are entrenched and self-sustaining then HOW do you shift the focus back without enforcing / mandating / legislating against their actions, which are usually based around social movements (such as harassment campaigns or boycotting) rather than anything official.

And if you do then go down that route of enforcement (by like I said, limiting private companies ability to bow to financial pressure applied by the lynch mob) is it not then another removal of freedoms, just from a different angle? Do we selectively advocate the removal of SOME freedoms to protect other more individualistic freedoms?

Again from what I know of the US (and its not extensive by any means) I always get the impression that the people are generally NOT OK with new government rules or legislation, preferring to "pay the price" of allowing businesses full autonomy.
We don't enforce anything. It is something that has be resettled at the individual level. I'm of the mind a lot of the way cultural "messaging" is sampled & spread these days is dated anyway... and over time, people will find other ways to be heard if they feel ignored by the general "collective", and as technology further encroaches on our lives, we will also have to adapt to the changing definition of privacy (edit). Anything, changes like this won't happen overnight.

The media had a large hand in creating those monsters, such as Trump/Hillary, etc. On the other hand, we had a large hand in creating the monster that is the media.

I don't think that the general concept of mainstream media will be around in its current form in the future, but that is just my opinion. I think even social media is gaining a reputation for being too acidic for social discourse. Humanity has yet to fully adapt to the internet and the change of pace of new information... I mean it's well and good we have these tools right now that allows us to tap into all this... but when most people are writing on how things go very wrong, there's very little said about how it goes right. So it would seem that the general media has most of their lost authority on this portion of the topic... and so the ball is in the court of each individual to help resolve this.

Last edited by Maru; 01-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote