BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I have a Christian friend (who turned out to be more religious than I originally thought...) and her thoughts on it seem to basically be;

Homosexuality (the act) is a sin. Homosexual desires are ok so long as you don't actually act on them. A homosexual can only get into heaven if they repent when they die (to be "forgiven"). However (and I think this is the important part that most Christians don't abide by) she PERSONALLY doesn't have any issue with people being gay and doesn't judge anyone, as its not people's place to judge anyone, it's between "them and God" and no one else's business . It's a "we're all sinners and we'll all be judged when we die and no one needs to judge before that" sort of deal.

So basically if she had a gay friend she wouldn't mind them being gay but would "worry about them not being able to get into heaven" or something like that. But then, she's also mentioned that she sometimes gets worried about what will happen to her non-religious friends and prays for us. I think being a godless heathen is worse than being a gay believer in that sense?
That's a very common view imo. (maybe not in the UK)

The fact it is a considered a "sin", maybe doesn't necessarily is meant to be a label to call that person "bad"... that's the "modern" view of religion skewing that I think... it's just Christians way of thinking that they believe that homosexuality is a gateway to other problems as well as the lifestyle that it introduces those people do promote choices and temptations that ultimately lead more people astray. I think most people who are actually devout in it, they treat the rules less like a rigid set of guidelines, but rather, God's warning in text that if that person were continue to ignore his warnings, then it would likely lead to the breaking down of that person and their soul... but ultimately, all people will almost certainly sin (and probably constantly)... , in the view of Christianity.

Like most religions, the Bible is meant to practiced, not simply "read" and "interpretted". So our relationship to the document would be expected to change as we make mistakes, repent and learn from those errors. It's one thing to really know the rules, it's another thing to "understand" them and to have lived that lesson. So I see religious text(s) as more of a "living" document"... hence things like Bible Study, confessions, etc... the way I see religion and really any spirituality, is that whatever structure we choose to follow, it's sort of practiced in the rear-view mirror... for example, a child can't help but sin from day 1 if they were never taught otherwise, so it's a process.

Last edited by Maru; 26-07-2018 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Ugh, yous....
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote