Thread: EastEnders
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2018, 07:59 PM #4271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
The thing that annoys me about the stuart storyline is that all the major drama happened off screen over 30 years ago. Why couldn't they just have Stuart lock Tina in the boot on screen? Would be a lot more gripping and people would care more about the story
It's like EE have completely forgotten how to tell a compelling storyline the last 6 years.

Referring to incidents in a character's past is good, but the story should happen on screen. Isn't one of the rules of TV; show don't tell.

They could've had Mick catch up with a small group of old mates. One night in the Vic they drink a lot, reminiscing a bit about when they played Torturer as kids and then later in the night Tina's locked in the boot and attacked. Then we have the story slowly unfolding where Stuart's mental state is called into question and Mick finds pictures of the young girls on his phone, bringing in the Pedo hunter plot and slowly revealing his and Mick's past with abuse.

A way to use the past and also have it provide drama in the present to make that past at all relevant to the viewers. We want and care about what happened off screen because of what's happening on screen.

Rather than Stuart lying about stuff we don't even know about it and getting away with it every episode.

Look at me. I feel like I'm in Rob's screenwriting class.