View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Should gay characters only be played by gay actors?

It's something I've noticed lately, backlashes against straight actors playing gay roles, it started with Nick Robinson in 'Love, Simon' and now it's come into play of sorts with Ruby Rose (who is, as far as I know, bisexual) who has recently been cast as Batwoman (who is a lesbian).

Personally I think it's ridiculous to limit actors in that way plus there's a level of hypocrisy there given that there would be a backlash if the situation was reversed as there's plenty said about gay actors being typecast for gay roles. I think the only time such limitations are right are in the cases of race, whitewashing should be a thing of the past. Even with transgender roles there should be some leeway if the character hasn't transitioned themselves, I think.

I think backlashes like the ones listed above hurt the cause more than it could ever help, it looks as thought the LGBT is cannibalising itselff and it gives ammunition to those that would hinder progress. Regardless of sexuality, everyone understands love and relationships and although a straight person can't truly understand what it's like to be part of the LGBT I think they can gleam a decent enough base understanding to portray a gay character. Plenty of straight actors have done it well already.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote