View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 09:30 PM #10
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
No. I don't think there should be a limit. I draw the line at Caucasian actors putting on makeup to play Asian or black people obviously. But outside of ridiculous instances like that.

I can kind of understand the backlash against cis people playing transgender simply because transgender actors have so much fewer opportunities, so they should be afforded some of the much fewer available roles they have for them instead of having those taken too.
I think though, at the same time, there's a lot of people speaking out that trans people get typecast in trans role and should be considered more often for cis roles but you can't have it both ways I don't think. In the case of Scarlet Johansen for example, the trans character she was originally going to play never actually transitioned so I personally don't see a problem with a cis female actress to play that role (someone like the actress who plays Boo in OITNB would fit perfectly) because for me, expecting a trans man to play a female character would be like expecting a cisgender male to pass for female, I just don't think it really works.

I think there's leeway when it comes to certain trans characters and not for others basically.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote