View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I think though, at the same time, there's a lot of people speaking out that trans people get typecast in trans role and should be considered more often for cis roles but you can't have it both ways I don't think. In the case of Scarlet Johansen for example, the trans character she was originally going to play never actually transitioned so I personally don't see a problem with a cis female actress to play that role (someone like the actress who plays Boo in OITNB would fit perfectly) because for me, expecting a trans man to play a female character would be like expecting a cisgender male to pass for female, I just don't think it really works.

I think there's leeway when it comes to certain trans characters and not for others basically.
Oh definitely. I just think until such a time that trans actors being cast as cis (obviously if it works, as you say it won't all the time but then all actors have parts they don't work well in) is more common, giving them more opportunities, I can understand having the small amount of roles they are suited to taken away can be a bit frustrating on their part.

But the actors taking those roles, like Scarlett Johansen, don't deserve anywhere near the sh*t they get for it.

I don't think it's actually offensive for a cis actor to play transgender or straight to play gay, but maybe unfair in trans case to take those limited roles.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote