Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's something I've noticed lately, backlashes against straight actors playing gay roles, it started with Nick Robinson in 'Love, Simon' and now it's come into play of sorts with Ruby Rose (who is, as far as I know, bisexual) who has recently been cast as Batwoman (who is a lesbian).

Personally I think it's ridiculous to limit actors in that way plus there's a level of hypocrisy there given that there would be a backlash if the situation was reversed as there's plenty said about gay actors being typecast for gay roles. I think the only time such limitations are right are in the cases of race, whitewashing should be a thing of the past. Even with transgender roles there should be some leeway if the character hasn't transitioned themselves, I think.

I think backlashes like the ones listed above hurt the cause more than it could ever help, it looks as thought the LGBT is cannibalising itselff and it gives ammunition to those that would hinder progress. Regardless of sexuality, everyone understands love and relationships and although a straight person can't truly understand what it's like to be part of the LGBT I think they can gleam a decent enough base understanding to portray a gay character. Plenty of straight actors have done it well already.
I agree it is ridiculous to demand that actors only play roles to type. The whole idea of acting is being able to play a variety of characters who are not necessarily like you. Being type cast was always considered something to be avoided by actors in the past. These demands are an unpleasant form of bullying which needs to stop before more actors are forced out of roles that don't conform to type.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote