View Single Post
Old 16-08-2018, 08:24 AM #12

It was Friday evening back in the sixties and I was sitting all alone on the back seat of a double-decker returning from work having just drawn my very FIRST pay packet.

In those days it was real banknotes AND coins in a little brown manila pay packet complete with a 'wage Slip' and I had excitedly taken out that humongous £8 something and counted it and felt it and counted it whilst dreaming of all the beautiful things I would spend my share on (after my board was deducted) then I put it in my pocket as I stood up as the bus approached my stop.

The bus had driven off but was still in view when I put my hand into my pocket to reassuringly 'feel' that little pay packet and I found it was NOT THERE. I retraced my steps to the bus stop which was only feet away but found nothing and it became obvious that I had dropped it on the bus.

I ran to the nearest public phone box and telephoned the 'Yorkshire Traction' company who promised to 'investigate' when the bus which I had been on returned to the depot and I was told to ring back in a few hours.

No, I never did get my pay packet back but it taught me a valuable lesson about being careful with money.

And the story is true as all my long-term friends and my relatives know.

At the time, my father took some convincing though.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote